HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:54 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
806 Posts
Question
Best First EDF

I have been flying CP helicopters and prop planes of all varieties for a few years now.

I am comfortable with aileron type war birds and currently fly a PZ Corsair and HZ Cub.

I would like to try an EDF of some type, but am a bit lost on which model to start with.

I have read a lot of the thread on the Durafly Vampire and am tempted by it, but wonder if the experienced EDF fliers on this site might have other suggestions. The Vamp is a nice size, but needs 4s or 5s packs which I don't use otherwise.

The Stinger 64 is another item I have considered, but it seems a bit fragile on the thread posts I read, and not sure about the hand-launching "reliability".

It would be nice if the model had these attributes:
  • Reliably Hand-Launched / lawn skidded landing
  • Works using 3S 2200 type lipo packs
  • Ready parts availability in the USA - Best would be HobbyKing since I can pickup items there to avoid high shipping costs given where I live in Washington.
  • Large enough for an old guy with not great eyesight to see it.

Thanks for reviewing this post and providing suggestions / links to things I should check out.
Blade Crasher is online now Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:05 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,809 Posts
see if you can get hold of a umx mig 15. they're probably all gone by now. either that or a GP sabre.

the micro EDFs are a great way to learn the nuances of EDFs - specifically everything stems from their inability to quickly trade speed<->altitude.

things like launching at a shallow angle, not trying to pull-up too suddenly, etc., are all easier to learn on micros since when they wreck the damage is virtually nothing.

ps - the umx mig 15 can be flown quite far. its red dorsal, white ventral color makes it easy to spot.

pps - i'd recommend the umx habu but i haven't flown that and i read it may not be the best choice for a beginner EDF.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:48 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
1,838 Posts
The 3S Freewing F-22 would probably be good. It's a great flyer, lots of wing, looks great in the air, slows down beautifully, has a nice, gradual sink rate.

I've got the 4S version and love the thing. It's also my first EDF. I set it up with independent elevons and ailerons, but that's all I did that wasn't right on the manual.

Fantastic little airplane!
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage