HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:03 AM
Joined Nov 2012
49 Posts
Discussion
Best type of electric motor.

Hey guys. Im kindof new to this hobby and I've been noticing something that has been making me ask questions. I've noticed that most planes have brushless propeller engines. I was wondering, is this engine cheaper, more electric efficient or has more thrust to weight ratio than other engines? Then it got me thinking what are some of the pros and cons of brushless, brushed, and edf engines (cheapest, more thrust to weight, electric efficient, etc.).
Thanks guys
Adrian Ruiz is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Ruiz
Last edited by Adrian Ruiz; Apr 16, 2014 at 01:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2014, 08:34 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
10,180 Posts
This is the e-motor design and building subforum.
Search power system subforum for threads with both the words brushless brushed in the title and all will be revealed.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:44 PM
Joined Nov 2007
859 Posts
Brushed motors are cheapest. They also are less efficient as the brushes have significant resistance. They tend to weigh more as the typical design only has two magnets and lots of space between the magnets. Brushless motors pack the magnets tight together so they get more torque for the weight.

Brushed motors are all inrunners so they have a high Kv and turn very high RPM. Therefore they mostly use gearboxes.

Any low RPM motor will have a lower power to weight ratio so both types of motor could benefit from a gearbox. Gearboxes are a pain so most people do not use them.

The ESC's (motor controllers) are about equal in efficiency. The cost is about the same.

Most cheap RTF models (and servos) use brushed motors as they are cheap and the controllers are also cheaper to manufacture.

Any application requiring high start torque cannot use the cheap sensorless ESC's for brushless motors. These applications require much more expensive sensored motors and ECSs. Reversing also requires a special ESC.

For general sport flying brushed motors are good enough.

Most small motors are brushed. At the very tiny end of the scale all motors are brushed.
mjsas is offline Find More Posts by mjsas
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:59 PM
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Jun 2008
829 Posts
Not really. Not even close. No way. Nada. Nil. Negative. Nate.

As far as the original question goes. Not really a question. Just a vague meandering on the subject.

Keep reading, buy a plane and fly it. Have fun and be safe!
Corelli is online now Find More Posts by Corelli
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:27 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Ruiz View Post
Hey guys. Im kindof new to this hobby and I've been noticing something that has been making me ask questions. I've noticed that most planes have brushless propeller engines. I was wondering, is this engine cheaper, more electric efficient or has more thrust to weight ratio than other engines? Then it got me thinking what are some of the pros and cons of brushless, brushed, and edf engines (cheapest, more thrust to weight, electric efficient, etc.).
Thanks guys
Generally the term engine refers to the internal combustion power plants.
Motor refers to electric power plants.

EDF (Electric Ducted Fan) is not a motor but propulsion system that is typically powered by a brushless motor.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1