HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:36 PM
United States, MI
Joined May 2011
96 Posts
Question
Double Horse 9116 TX Deadzones

I have the 9116 TX and I like it and use it with my v911 and 9116 but after using the TX that came with my v911 I now notice a bit of dead zones in the controls compared to what the stock v911 TX has. What I means is that you have to push the controls to a certain point before the heli will respond. Its not a whole lot but compared to the v911 TX it is. The v911 TX has no dead zones at all so even the smallest movement on the sticks will effect the heli. I want my 9116 TX to control like this. Does anybody know if theres a way to fix this?

I have been thinking about getting the WLtoys v912 TX to control the v911 because it looks like it would have the same feel as the 9116 TX but Im wondering if it would have these same dead zones. Does anyone have both of these TX's that could chime in?
Jerm357 is online now Find More Posts by Jerm357
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2014, 03:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm357 View Post
I have the 9116 TX and I like it and use it with my v911 and 9116 but after using the TX that came with my v911 I now notice a bit of dead zones in the controls compared to what the stock v911 TX has. What I means is that you have to push the controls to a certain point before the heli will respond. Its not a whole lot but compared to the v911 TX it is. The v911 TX has no dead zones at all so even the smallest movement on the sticks will effect the heli. I want my 9116 TX to control like this. Does anybody know if theres a way to fix this?

I have been thinking about getting the WLtoys v912 TX to control the v911 because it looks like it would have the same feel as the 9116 TX but Im wondering if it would have these same dead zones. Does anyone have both of these TX's that could chime in?
It's been awhile since I've used a 9116 tx but if I remember right it had a low and high rate switch. If you put the switch on high rate and raise the epa's all the way up it should be better.
Pa flyer is online now Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:14 PM
United States, MI
Joined May 2011
96 Posts
Yeah, I have every thing turned up and it makes it better but its not gone. I have tried all the settings and I don't think they are the problem. I think its just the TX itself.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:25 PM
United States, MI
Joined May 2011
96 Posts
Can anybody point me to a good TX in the $30 to $50 range that would have very sensitive sticks and would bind to the v911 and 9116?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:53 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,546 Posts
I think WL toys full size TX is about that price range. Cheap junk just bigger junk.
Good radios go for quite a bit more. Pay Toys prices you get toy quility. Sorry but for what you want get T9X or the cheaper T6X. Much better and full size. T9X is a decent radio.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 20, 2014, 09:00 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,546 Posts
9116 rtf does fly. Weight is big problem and can be made lighter. Tx is sloppy but does work ok. Throddle inputs are important. Heli will drop if you are not on power. When I was new stalled main motor and it went out after 10 flights, my fault. since then no problem. Its bigger and will fly like a V911. V912 is better but basic same heli. both are clones of older Walkera heli.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:38 AM
Still crashing my CP's
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,516 Posts
If you take your 9116 TX apart, you will see that all of your dead zone
is caused by the tiny stud from the gimbals that has a sloppy fit into
the potentiometers.

Double horse did not use standard pots, and instead used "trimmer"
style pots that cost 1/5 as much as standard pots.

The only cure is to wedge something between the actuator stud
and the pot to take up the slop.

The problem with that is that cheap trimmer pots don't handle any
sort of pressure or side loading.

Your "shim" has to be an absolutely perfect fit, or the cheap pots will act up.

I fixed mine by putting some glue between them, but I ruined 3 pots
before I got it right.

In the end, you are using a toy. It was not designed with precision or
longevity in mind.

Back away from the toy transmitters.

If you are at the point where the slop in the 9116 transmitter bothers you,
it's time to move on to bigger and better things.

Buy a Turnigy 9x.

It will fly all of the WLToys birds and quads, but nobody has ever figured out
how to get the rudder working on the 9116 PCB with an aftermarket TX.

Most people replace the 9116 PCB with the V912 PCB.

Best of luck, and happy flying.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:43 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,546 Posts
T9X is good TX. WL toys has changed some of its protocols. My V262 will not bind with T9X..real bumer. Stock TX is Toys grade and miss not using big TX. Makes a big diff.

Steve made a very good point, if 9116 TX is a pain . Move on to better heli. New Blade 200SR-X is FBL / dual bl heli that is awesome for its size.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:06 PM
United States, MI
Joined May 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_ View Post
If you take your 9116 TX apart, you will see that all of your dead zone
is caused by the tiny stud from the gimbals that has a sloppy fit into
the potentiometers.
Double horse did not use standard pots, and instead used "trimmer"
style pots that cost 1/5 as much as standard pots.

The only cure is to wedge something between the actuator stud
and the pot to take up the slop.

The problem with that is that cheap trimmer pots don't handle any
sort of pressure or side loading.

Your "shim" has to be an absolutely perfect fit, or the cheap pots will act up.

I fixed mine by putting some glue between them, but I ruined 3 pots
before I got it right.

In the end, you are using a toy. It was not designed with precision or
longevity in mind.

Back away from the toy transmitters.

If you are at the point where the slop in the 9116 transmitter bothers you,
it's time to move on to bigger and better things.

Buy a Turnigy 9x.

It will fly all of the WLToys birds and quads, but nobody has ever figured out
how to get the rudder working on the 9116 PCB with an aftermarket TX.

Most people replace the 9116 PCB with the V912 PCB.

Best of luck, and happy flying.
Well, I went ahead and gave it a shot yesterday. I opened her up and you were right about it being the studs that slides into the pots... they just had way too much play. I ended up removing all four of the small studs from the pots and then added a very small amount of epoxy to just the upper flat part of the stud and slid them back into the pots. I gave them a few turns before the glue dried to make sure nothing was stuck then let it sit for a few hours. After the glue dried it was all fixed and way better than new.

The difference is night and day so far with my v911's... It feels like a completely different TX. I cant wait for my new servo's to get here so I can try it with this...Its not really a 9116 any more so I don't know what to call it.

Thanks for the help everybody.
Last edited by Jerm357; Apr 17, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:29 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,546 Posts
Steve , is V912 board drop in fit for 9116 ? I don't fly 9116 much as I hate the TX. Heli is ok the way I have it. Good for nose in flying. With T9X sounds much batter.