HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2013, 10:45 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,855 Posts
New Product
Aerial

I have sometimes posted about a new higher AR project being in the works on my own blog and various places over the past few months, well, here it is:
For the past year, I have been working on a new plane initially based on what I already knew, that will fit what I am now looking for in a plane compared to more conventional planes on the market:

-Easier for me to launch to 60+ meters than conventional planes
-High range of efficient flying
-Ease of handling

After many many discussions with different top pilots in the US and in my club, we worked out some of things they liked/disliked on various planes on the market, and I tried to take their thoughts and suggestions and incorporate it into the Aerial.
There were also a couple new things (for me) that I wanted to see happen on the new Aerial:

-Moulded construction
-Solid core (first XPS, and then progressing to Rohacell)
-Moulded-in hinges
-Ease of assembly

In the end, I came up with a new wing and stabilizer design that really is our collective vision of compromise. The wing has a slightly lower area at around 20.3 dm^2, AR of about 11. The airfoil is a slightly modified Zone V2 airfoil series which I have become very familiar with, and which has been proven to work extremely well in higher AR applications, across a wide range of flying conditions.

The fuselage is slightly shorter than the usual DLG fuselage, saving some weight behind the CG and increasing maneuverability; and carries a slightly oversize stabilizer, which will allow the plane to have a higher pitch dampening effect, and allow pilots a wider range of CG to suit their personal preference. What this means is a plane that listens to you and flies the way you like it to. The vertical of the Neos has been proven to be efficient and great launching, and so the new Aerial vertical is heavily based on it, which a slightly modified airfoil.

Electronics assembly is designed to be extremely simple, just bolt on the 4 servos in the pre-moulded servo tray and you are ready to attach the linkages.

At the moment we have finished the stabilizer mould, and will be doing test pieces on it over the next week. We are also doing some tweaks to how the wing interacts with the fuselage, once done, we will get the remaining moulds milled out of aluminum and polished.

Hopefully, our first planes can be in the air in November, we still have a lot of work to do!

Here are some photos for you to look at for the time being
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
Last edited by ThomasLee; Sep 04, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2013, 11:38 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,081 Posts
Sweet, Thomas! Can't wait to see pics of the first parts out of those beautiful molds!
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Sep 04, 2013, 11:57 AM
Team ATX Pilot
Phx. Az.
Joined Nov 2004
1,309 Posts
I am looking forward to testing one for sure. Looks great!
Donnie
dbone is online now Find More Posts by dbone
Old Sep 04, 2013, 12:19 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,309 Posts
Yes, very nice!
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Sep 04, 2013, 01:04 PM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
572 Posts
Excellent Thomas, really looking forward to this new DLG.

All the best

Danny
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm
Old Sep 04, 2013, 01:57 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,572 Posts
Looks good Thomas.

One note on fuselage cross-section: try to keep a rectangular section with radiused corners through your canopy area rather than an elliptical section. Space for servo horns can get really tight and your overall "feel" will be much larger. After four or five iterations of my fuse molds, I've finally come to a point where I'm comfortable with the overall size and dynamic.

This looks like it could be a fine airplane. I can't wait to see the progress.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Sep 04, 2013, 03:25 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
669 Posts
BETA Tester right here buddy - especially on launch durability !!!!

looks good man - look forward to seeing the real deal
gtrbaby is online now Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old Sep 04, 2013, 03:35 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
1,660 Posts
competition is good for the sport!! Good luck
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
Old Sep 04, 2013, 04:23 PM
Retirement is good
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2011
353 Posts
Thomas, great pitch damping for sure. A quick calc from the scaled top view suggests a huge Vh (horizontal tail volume coefficient). This should be a very pleasant airplane to fly. Nice work!
rofly is online now Find More Posts by rofly
Old Sep 04, 2013, 09:33 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
2,863 Posts
Please decorate the wing with bubbles.
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2013, 10:19 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
564 Posts
Thomas have spent tons of time in this new project and I'm sure it will be a new star in the competition field.

Can't wait to see the Aerial.

I can't launch high as Wynn do, so I think I just volunteer for HOW TO BREAK reports. Lol
nickbox is offline Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Sep 05, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,117 Posts
Cannot wait to see this finally become reality!

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Sep 05, 2013, 10:39 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,855 Posts
Guys thank you for the encouragements
I can't wait to get this plane in the air... James, I know you've been dying for a long time to see this get airborne!!

Tom, thank you for the suggestion on the fuse cross section, we will make it more square in the forward portion to help fit the electronics better, and blend it partially at the wing joint area and then back to an elliptical shape for the boom. The wing/fuse joint is going to have a bit of reworking as well, hopefully the drawings will be completed next week.

Mike, working on the paint scheme, I think we may do custom though, I know what I'm going to make you, surprise surprise!!

Donnie, I would love to get one of these in your hands to test out, if you can't break it no one can. I'll keep you posted!

Wynn, likewise buddy, I hope you can break some records with how high you launch this thing! hahaha

Nick, you can't break it but you're a great pilot, but you might not have time after Sept with your new baby!!

A couple other quick details:
-Wings will be held on by a 3-bolt pattern
-Servo tray is moulded integral to the fuselage
-Will have provisions for a lollipop ballast system
-Vertical will slip right onto the fuse at the correct angle to be glued by epoxy or CA

I'm probably missing some other details. There's just a lot of stuff that the team has come up with to put into this plane to make it a better experience.
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
Old Sep 05, 2013, 01:29 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,062 Posts
Didn't I get dibs on one of these? ;-)

Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Guys thank you for the encouragements
I can't wait to get this plane in the air... James, I know you've been dying for a long time to see this get airborne!!

Tom, thank you for the suggestion on the fuse cross section, we will make it more square in the forward portion to help fit the electronics better, and blend it partially at the wing joint area and then back to an elliptical shape for the boom. The wing/fuse joint is going to have a bit of reworking as well, hopefully the drawings will be completed next week.

Mike, working on the paint scheme, I think we may do custom though, I know what I'm going to make you, surprise surprise!!

Donnie, I would love to get one of these in your hands to test out, if you can't break it no one can. I'll keep you posted!

Wynn, likewise buddy, I hope you can break some records with how high you launch this thing! hahaha

Nick, you can't break it but you're a great pilot, but you might not have time after Sept with your new baby!!

A couple other quick details:
-Wings will be held on by a 3-bolt pattern
-Servo tray is moulded integral to the fuselage
-Will have provisions for a lollipop ballast system
-Vertical will slip right onto the fuse at the correct angle to be glued by epoxy or CA

I'm probably missing some other details. There's just a lot of stuff that the team has come up with to put into this plane to make it a better experience.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Sep 05, 2013, 03:38 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,674 Posts
Yummy!!!!!!!

I need another airplane!!!!!!
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON