HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2013, 10:22 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,468 Posts
Build Log
Sky Rider's Spartan Glider Bashing/RC Conversion Thread

So it looks like Toys R Us are stocking some new chuck gliders with a nice air foiled wing......the Spartan is a 36in ws glider with some real potential as a lite weight RC conversion. These type of planes are a natural for a pusher set up since the nose is nice and long making CG an easy chore without having to use a big battery. I'm going to build this with clipped wing tips, near zero dihedral and ailerons.
I am going to use my modded Micheal's Crafts hot wire (using a discarded 1s 2200 lipo cell) and 20w soldering pencil to cut the battery and avionics hatches.

Stay tuned
--Ray

Edit....LINK--- http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=20199146
Wrench66 is offline Find More Posts by Wrench66
Last edited by Wrench66; Apr 03, 2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: added link
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:36 PM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
820 Posts
Looks promising ..... Is the fuse different foam than the original Titan.?

Wrench, Thanks for posting
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Apr 03, 2013, 08:42 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,468 Posts
...Yeah the foam seems very close to what the Air Hogs plane is, much nicer than on the normal, flexy gliders found at Toys R Us.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 11:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
449 Posts
What's the price $?
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Apr 03, 2013, 11:44 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,468 Posts
Good idea....I edited the initial post, thanks The website shows 9.99, but I paid a buck less here in So Cal.
Old Apr 04, 2013, 12:17 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
449 Posts
I checked TRU here this evening. $14.95.

Looks like you'll have to build a long motor mount out the back or move the fin forward to get some prop clearance.

What does it weigh?
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Apr 04, 2013, 01:55 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,468 Posts
Bare airframe with lite ply motor mount installed and trimmed wing tips and tail tips is 3oz.
Figuring everything AUW of 6-7oz total......should be a lite weight ball of fun on approx 100 watts.
The motor I am using was from Leaders Hobby but it looks like they aren't carrying it anymore......it's an EMP 2028/12 2300kv, on 3s 20c 500mah and a 5in GWS prop (5x3 to start with) it should be a fun fast flyer. I clipped the tips of the wings like I did some of the other glider conversions I have done......helps reduce unneeded drag, and with reduced dihedral, will also increase agility
As far as prop clearance, it won't be an issue (see pics). After trimming the end of the fuse square, and trimming off the Horiz tail's weird end, AND using a piece of 6mm Depron with a lite ply motor mount, the prop has more than enough room to spin

--Ray
Old Apr 08, 2013, 08:30 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,468 Posts
Sanding and realigning the wing roots for near zero dihedral. Gonna cut the elevator and ailerons out tonite
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:45 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,468 Posts
Since I want as little decalage as possible I work really hard at making sure the tail isn't glued in place until this is zero-zero.
The wing is also checked to the fuse for zero incidence as well. This will reduce any tendency for the plane to change pitch during it's speed envelope or to be overly sensitive to wind. I find a zero-zero attitude also makes in flight trimming and find the sweet spot CG easier.
--Ray
Old May 09, 2013, 12:34 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
816 Posts
my foam glider conversion, flies slow or fast, turns ona dime

RC Converted Foam Glider 1.4 M wingspan (2 min 48 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Jul 04, 2013, 12:45 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,713 Posts
Toy Foam Gliders - Converted to RC

Come across this thread while searching on "toy foam glider" for the phrase. I suppose by now most of you guys know there are a number of threaded dedicated to the idea of converting toy foam gliders to RC, some with motors and some without. Which search word or phrase works best I am still working out. One of the more popular toy foam gliders is the Titan by Air Hogs. Summer seems to be the best time to find these toys and the price starts are around $4 for the smaller ones and creeps up to $10 for the Titan. As our money continues to lose value, I am sure these prices will creep higher.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Aug 30, 2013, 05:52 PM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2009
39 Posts
I'm a newbie and planning on doing my first conversion. Does anyone know an easy way tocalculate the CG on the Spartan?
aiea is offline Find More Posts by aiea
Old Nov 19, 2013, 03:52 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,713 Posts
Sky Rider and other Toy Gliders - CoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiea View Post
... Does anyone know an easy way to calculate the CG on the Spartan?
To prevent a lot of math details, charts, and other references one can find for determining the CoG for a glider toy, it is best to do it old school. Put the glider together before any electronics are added and give it a throw. If it climbs up, dives, and climbs again - the glider needs some nose weight. If the glider dives and tends to hit on the nose a bit hard - it is nose heavy. You will want to add some tail weight until you get a smooth forward glide for a soft belly landing. Once the glide slope and path are as perfect as you can get it, balance the glider on two pencils in a board with the glider either right side up, or upside down, and mark the CoG for later reference. Add the electronics to preserve the CoG, but you might want to go a little nose heavy, which means about 1/16" towards the tail.

The two pencils (using the new eraser ends) are an easy way to get a CoG balance device constructed. All you need is two holes drilled in a short piece of 2"x 4" with the required spacing. The spacing is normally the width of the fuselage plus an inch or two. The main wing in the standard tractor configuration will often need a CoG near the leading edge and back 1/3 the width of the wing root area. Canard designs often have a CoG that is between the main wing (rear position) and the canard wing (near the front of the fuselage). Needless to say the CoG device will need a slightly different design. You can still use two pencils, but you will also need a piece of foam that is around 1/2" thick, or a little less wide to act as a balance beam between the two pencils. It is also a common practice to carve the foam beam a little to match the shape of the fuselage where it will touch to act like a saddle.

It is best to have a wind free environment when doing a CoG check, or location for marking. Any breeze will often unbalance the air frame and make it more difficult to locate the CoG for marking. The standard marking for a CoG location is a circle with a "+" running through it and one quarter is darkened in on the top, and one quarter across from on the bottom half is also darkened. You will see this symbol on many airplane plans that provide a CoG estimate. Keep in mind minor changes to what appears to be exact copies will effect the CoG location slightly with each copy. The old school glide test is still the best way to find the best CoG for the model. Naturally you want to check the CoG before you launch after changing out the battery pack, or make other changes.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Nov 19, 2013, 05:21 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,468 Posts
Thanks Tsavah, I have always done exactly as you described......getting the bare glider frame to fly well before doing the mods, noting the CG and going from there.
One very very important thing to remember with any chuck glider mod is to make double sure the wing-tail-fuse incidence is kept close to zero-zero. With the projects I have done, they have ALL needed work to the rear horz stab angle. This can also catch you out since if this isn't corrected before the initial test glides it WILL give a false CG impression.
Keep the zero-zero incidence in mind and the CG will show itself near the optimum for RC conversion
--Ray
Old Apr 22, 2014, 05:43 PM
Copter Design
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Name: R0043794.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 454.1 KB
Description: Sky Rider's Spartan Glider Bashing/RC Conversion
Name: R0043792.jpg
Views: 5