HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Discussion
DX6i for mCX2 or mSR

Hi all,

I just need some advice or help with a couple of things.
I am either going to get a Blade mSR or a mCX2, purely for indoor use in my big ish flat/apartment.

Is a DX6i just overkill for these two small Helis? Considering they are balanced and stable?

How much easier will it be to control them, (more so the mSR), with the DX6i? Or will I still be able to smoothly control the Helis with the stock transmitter? I have seen that the stock TX has dual rates and maybe better than most.

Just need some advice here as I doubt I will ever get a big Heli for outdoor use and just want a good indoor controllable one.

Thanks
OnToTheNextOne is offline Find More Posts by OnToTheNextOne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Also would the DX4e be a good compromise? As I am not overly keen on having a full size TX for a small indoor heli.

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:15 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,750 Posts
I used the standard "play station 2" type controller on those helis. I actually found It was preferable to a bigger transmitter because you could hold the controller in your left hand and still use the sticks, while hand launching with your right hand. Hand launching is a lot easier.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jan 26, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:40 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,041 Posts
hello...
Firstly, the Dx6i is certainly a good radio and even the msr and mcx2 can certainly benefit from the fine tuning options that radio offers.
Whether or not it's overkill depends largely on where your interest in the hobby might lead. There would not be many new msr's to be had anymore, although I've seen some mcx2 still available. Please avoid buying used ones if at all possible, but a used radio can be okay, less risky than pre-owned helis.
The controller that comes with the rtf's is terrible (in my opinion), especially considering the cost of the Blade products, and the Dx4 is only marginally better.
If you just want to putter around inside, why not look at the v911 by Wltoys, extremely popular (deservedly) and can be had as a complete setup for around $40 including shipping.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
mono - I have noted that one down to have a look at and you have just reminded me so thanks.
If I though this was going t take me outside and into the hobby in a serious way the DX6i looks like a steal to me. However as I honestly think it'll just be indoor tinkering, certainly for now, the DX probably is not worth it, at least until I realise I want an outdoor heli and should have just bought the DX in the first place : )

Can you explain what differences I may see with a DX6i vs DX4e on the helis I mentioned? As this is the most important thing to me I guess.

Thanks very much for your time.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:56 PM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,041 Posts
The Dx6i has more benefit with the MSR than with the Mcx2, this is mainly because the MSR has a couple of problem areas which can be compensated for with the programmable options in the radio. That said, there are some useful settings which the Mcx2 can also benefit from.
The Dx4 is not programmable and is really no more useful than the xbox type controller, even though the Dx4 has hi/lo rate switch and a "hidden" exponential function. As you would be aware, for what the Dx4 alone costs, the whole rtf v911 set can be bought, and even the controller which comes with that has as much functionality as the Dx4.
All in all, the Dx4 may work okay, but I don't view it as a value for money item, while the Dx6i certainly is, but it's better suited to outside applications.
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
The Dx6i has more benefit with the MSR than with the Mcx2, this is mainly because the MSR has a couple of problem areas which can be compensated for with the programmable options in the radio. That said, there are some useful settings which the Mcx2 can also benefit from.
The Dx4 is not programmable and is really no more useful than the xbox type controller, even though the Dx4 has hi/lo rate switch and a "hidden" exponential function. As you would be aware, for what the Dx4 alone costs, the whole rtf v911 set can be bought, and even the controller which comes with that has as much functionality as the Dx4.
All in all, the Dx4 may work okay, but I don't view it as a value for money item, while the Dx6i certainly is, but it's better suited to outside applications.
What sort of benefits will the mSR see with the DX6i compared to the stock or DX4e transmitter? Are the benefits mainly for newbee's like myself who need help flying and controlling it? or are they more permanent benefits? Thanks again, I am finding this very helpful
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:26 PM
Unregistered User
United States, CO
Joined Feb 2013
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono View Post
hello...
There would not be many new msr's to be had anymore, although I've seen some mcx2 still available.
E-flite has rereleased the Blade MSR. It now has a cover over the tail motor and comes with a higher mAh Lipo battery. There are still many aftermarket parts available as well. I don't know if you're in the states but around where I live, if I want to shoot out and get a part cause I accidentally slammed my heli into the wall, there are 2 local hobby shops within 10 miles that stock parts.

The DX6i would be an excellent radio if you have the smallest thought of adding more helis and/or planes to your fleet.
LonB is offline Find More Posts by LonB
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:53 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,546 Posts
DX6i will let you fly smallest to biggest helis/ quads. DX4e/DX5e will not. What you need today may not be good for later. DX6i is a standard in heli world for very good reason. It rocks and excellnt product. I have game boy TX/ DX5e/ DX6i. Gameboy sits in a box. DX5e I use for quad/ 4 ch heli/ DX6i for c/p's. On 4 ch stuff I don't need to program anything. Low/rates/ hi-rates. 450 birds much different. The DX5e I bought new as it was cheaper than DX4e from Horizon. Little later got DX6i.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:29 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,216 Posts
Both will work well for each heli. I actually prefer to fly my MCX2 with my DX6i and my MSR with the toy TX. With the recent price drop it makes the most sense to me for you to buy the DX6i.

Something to keep in mind though. I decided to fly my Blade MSR with my Champ TX and I had better control that I do with my DX6i. The 50% D/R function is pretty effective on the toy TX.

E-Flite Blade MSR Micro RC Helicopter in Living Room (2 min 50 sec)

Here is my MSR with the DX6i:

Blade MSR Crashes and Bloopers (5 min 21 sec)

Here is my MCX2 with the DX6i:

E-Flight Blade MCX2 Ultra Micro Helicopter in Living Room (6 min 42 sec)
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2013, 03:21 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,216 Posts
Here is another video with the Hobbyzone Champ radio:
E-Flite Blade MCX2 Ultra Micro Helicopter Flight Using Sony HDR CX290 Handycam (2 min 12 sec)
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member