|Dec 07, 2012, 12:09 PM|
So you need help with setting up your boat?
I figure I'ld start a thread on this since this is the most frequently asked question.
You want to know what materials and gear you should use to build and set your boat up with.
In order to receive effective help, you must have the following information.
Hull Type: (mono/vee, tunnel/cat, hydro, rigger, airboat, heavier types)
Application: (race, easy build)
Running Environment: (pool, lake/pond, ocean)
- How big of a boat are you interested in building?
- How long is your hull?
- The hull type can provide others with some additional basic information such as width and approximate driveline setup.
- Are you looking for something high performance to race with? Remember that the faster you strive for, the more likely it is for things to go wrong.
- Are you looking for something simple that you can just toss in a pond during your lunch break and have a little fun? Reliability is one of the biggest headaches I've noted with micro boats.
- Where you intend to run will play a big role on the way your boat is designed and built. If you are running on a murky lake, I don't think you would want to lose anything. However, you don't have to worry about waves.
- If you are running in pool, you can always retrieve a damaged or missing boat/part. A pool is the best area for testing. A pool also restricts the size of your boat.
- If the ocean is for you, you're going to want to have a very sturdy and built boat. Trust me, I lived in it.
So what all do you need to build a functional boat?
2) Rudder Hardware
- rudder blade
- mounting bracket
- control linkage
3) Drive Hardware
- drive shaft
- stuffing tube/box
|Dec 07, 2012, 10:26 PM|
Joined Mar 2004
Looking forward to this thread. I will be building a 14 inch Lil Salty tug out of 3mm foam. I will use a Johnson 250 brushed motor and a 10 amp brushed esc w/reverse. That's all the info I have right now as I'm still considering various other drive train parts. I am a motorized boat new bee.
|Dec 15, 2012, 01:08 PM|
If it's a tug, then a little bit of extra weight wouldn't kill you. If you have some 5s NiMh, those would work great. That's a pretty big motor too for such an application. If you can't gear it, just make sure to at least have a low pitched prop.
|Feb 07, 2013, 03:07 PM|
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2010
my plan is to build a micro-rio. im aiming to pretty much just half the dimensions of the mini rio.
hull type is a mono/vee
hull length 7.15"
losi micro crawler brushed esc/rx combo
stock motor(might switch to bb2)
some cheap servo
dual rudders (3d printed on my up!)
links music wire or similar
wanting to dosurface drive just like the origional but just dont know what to do for a prop and prop coupler. any ideas?
also hull will be made with a vacumm form and sandwiched together just like the origional. also might go for brushless if needed but i ithink the brushed will be better for size and wieght. also not trying to race it just wont somethingni can keep in my backpack to run in the 1 1/2 ft deep fountains at school.
|Feb 07, 2013, 10:37 PM|
Sounds sweet, but why dual rudders? As far as I know, no one is having steering issues with single rudders.
Some thick walled silicone tubing will work for a coupler. As for the prop, if you can, try and find some Kyosho Mini-Z props. They are stupid rare, but after days of searching, you might find a set. (An alternative would be for me to scale my props up from 12mm to about 16mm, but that would require further testing.)
|Feb 09, 2013, 06:12 PM|
United States, IL, Maroa
Joined Jan 2013
I dont know if you will help but I need some help with a 21" deep vee.
I know it is not a micro. I would only run on pond or lake . Just for fun.I am guessing about 2s lipos not sure of anything else. I will be getting a 3 channel radio from hobby king. I am also wondering about a linberg ptboat it has a dumas 6 volt motor in it. everything else has been removed, 1 drive shaft, prop is probly to small, it was one from the dual setup. Thanks for any input.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion||Needing help setting up Nano with DX7S||kushal_22||Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric)||31||Nov 01, 2012 12:26 AM|
|Discussion||Need help setting up ER9-X with Naza||tgreening||Multirotor Talk||34||May 15, 2012 10:58 AM|
|Discussion||Need help setting up Tricopter with Spektrum DX7s with gyros||Easyrider717||Multirotor Talk||35||Apr 19, 2012 11:50 AM|
|Discussion||Need help setting up stryker with dx6i.||John S.||Electric Plane Talk||2||Mar 28, 2012 03:35 AM|
|Discussion||Need help setting up stryker with dx6i.||John S.||Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric)||6||Mar 27, 2012 07:12 PM|