HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:17 PM
Don't ask me anything...
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,840 Posts
Discussion
Video: Another boring day in paradise...

Just had a really great day on the slope and wanted to share the stunning scenery and weather. That's the main reason for the video: not much by way of flying, but just a celebration of slope soaring..

Another boring day in paradise (4 min 27 sec)

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:37 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,307 Posts
Great stuff! Looks like you had a good day, today
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:15 PM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,527 Posts
Awesome place you get to slope there Chris - amazing colors, beautiful sky and countryside, and thanks for posting what type of plane that was you were flying in the credits, I was just going to ask. The Valenta sure looks good in the air. Oh yes, nice flying too! Thanks for posting...

Rob
robh is online now Find More Posts by robh
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:00 PM
San Francisco
Joined Sep 2004
235 Posts
Sweet!
winterstick is offline Find More Posts by winterstick
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:57 AM
Bunny Hill Flier
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,306 Posts
Chris

My favorite video yet!! Your hills are so beautiful.

It really says what slope soaring is all about.

thanks for posting .
I am off to sleep so those images can fill my dreams....

Rubio
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:40 AM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Brilliant Chris!
Great flying.
Great scenery.
Great model. ( I'd prefer that to my Stingray!)
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:14 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,927 Posts
Never had one till now, but I think you might have just started my bucket list.

What a beautiful place to fly you got there Chris. How hard was it blowing by the way? The lift band looks enormous.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:14 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Joined Dec 2005
6,840 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words ^^^^ ! I guess it turned out better than I thought. It was a truly stunning day, made all the more memorable by the fact that it isn't always like that here ...

Chris
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:22 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Joined Dec 2005
6,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
What a beautiful place to fly you got there Chris. How hard was it blowing by the way? The lift band looks enormous.

-Jonathan
It wasn't that hard, and TBH it was quite crossed and a little bit weak for that particular slope! I guess around 10 - 13 knots. I never go to this slope if the wind is forecast to be strong, it's an insane slope for lift!

I am truly privileged, so sad that I'm alone 95% of the time...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:05 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,408 Posts
Quote:
I am truly privileged, so sad that I'm alone 95% of the time...
Hi Chris
same here, nice video btw
Had also a relaxed Sunday flight, but have only small cliff and the wind was light

Sunday slope flight with TRAGI /CLUSTER (4 min 15 sec)

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is online now Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:13 PM
Don't ask me anything...
Joined Dec 2005
6,840 Posts
Nice one Thomas - who says men can't multi- task ?

I've re-done my video with a bit of adjustment of the brightness - it was a bit dark...
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:41 AM
Don't ask me anything...
Joined Dec 2005
6,840 Posts
Does anyone here use Sony Vegas? I'm stumped trying to find out a way of adjusting the exposure / brightness "on the timeline" (so that I can adjust it higher and lower as the video progresses, instead of one universal setting)?

Chris
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:39 AM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
Does anyone here use Sony Vegas? I'm stumped trying to find out a way of adjusting the exposure / brightness "on the timeline" (so that I can adjust it higher and lower as the video progresses, instead of one universal setting)?

Chris
Yes, I use it - and love it, except the terminology to get anything done is really obscure - so i struggle with it
I have set exposure/brightness differently for different "chunks" of video - assuming you have split it up into chunks? If its all-one still, then split it up as necessary so you can adjust separately?
(there's probably a much more elegant "expert" way to do it, but i'm no expert!)

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:29 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,763 Posts
Chris:

Great video! I need to get a nice big ship like that so I can fly BEAUTIFUL BIG AIR ACROBATICS like that at Greens Peak... our only site an AZ that has that sort of landscape.

Regarding exposure: Your problem, as you probably know, is that your camera is auto exposing the scene as you shoot. The sky is so much brighter than the ground. The camera is compensating accordingly... stopping down in the brightness and opening back up in the darker stuff. If your camera had manual exposure you could pick the best compromise exposure and live with that.

You can fix it in post production doing what Phil said. You may not need to cut your video into "chunks." I use Final Cut Express and it lets me apply a brightness/contrast filter to a whole video clip; but gives me an adjustment curve that lets me apply different brightness/contrast settings to different parts of the clip. This is nice since it lets me smoothly blend in the brightness/contrast adjustments.

The down side to the post production solution is that is takes a lot longer to render the movie file.

Dawson
dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:14 PM
Don't ask me anything...
Joined Dec 2005
6,840 Posts
Phil: Thanks, I am familiar with the splitter, but I really need to invest more time in the help menu...

Dawson: Thanks very much! It's not a HUGE ship (2.8 m w/s), but most of my slopes are conducive to big planes and big moves.

Thanks for the advice, I must do some test footage at different exposure settings. Without a doubt a manually set setting will improve on that auto exposure "hunting" effect... I don't want to increase rendering time too much TBH, I already shoot at "only" 720 x 1820 so as not to take too long...

Chris