HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,622 Posts
Discussion
Restoring models

I got a couple of requests to start a restoration forum.
I'd like to see what you're doing over,and how you do it.From vintage models to recent ones,just about anything that's interesting...We'll tolerate a few sidetracks,but call you on it if it gets too far off the road.
WE'd mainly concentrate on wood,since we want to share some insight to newer people, and it's been my experience that we always learn sumpin' too.
You can slip in a boat occasionally,but we want to see your solutions to specific problems.
From bare wood through finish,share with us.
We especially need someone or three who can help with paint....mixing the proper colors,etc.One request was for specific gray for a fighter.
Show us what you got.
Broken,crashed or just old and raggedy.Fix it here.....Thanky.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Apr 03, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:36 AM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
573 Posts
Hey Earl,
That's a good subject to mess with. I have a few of those; an old VK Mach 1 (not Midwest), a Bill Winter designed Swamp Box for single channel and an Ambroid Charger also for single channel. The Swamp Box and Charger came through Ebay. The Charger wing was thoroughly trashed by the Post Office when I got it so I salvaged the pieces for a future restoration. I'm going to try to keep the Swamp Box as original as possible as it has some markings that were applied so many years ago by the builder.

I saw your thread on the 1/3 Fairchild, it looks great! You can check this website for information. http://www.fairchildclub.org/ and the Yahoo Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fairchildclub/
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:51 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,904 Posts
How to start a new forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609901

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7,622 Posts
Hey guys....apparently I invaded protected airspace inadvertently...Thought I was doing a good thing,went about it wrong.
I won't be able to continue the Restoration thingie until I get approval from the top.
Rules is rules....
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,622 Posts
Administration has reinstated me!
Thank you gentlemen.We appreciate your helping us further the cause.
Okay....I.m going to be restoring a Fairchild F-24 Ranger for the Museum.
This model was built from plans Designed by Robert Lopshire,author of Childrens' books,in July 1976. Builder's plans were published in the April 1978 Radio Control Modeler Magazine.
If anyone has a copy for sale please PM me.
Without completely rebuilding this model,we want to restore it to flight status.
I went to the Hamburg Swap Meet this year and struck a deal with the seller,and brought the hulk home,along with the original plans.
As near as we could tell the model was built early on.Probably about when the plans were released.
The airplane is dear to my heart,since I was the at the Delaware R/C Club for the maiden flights. Bob Karlsson was the test Pilot,and I believe Steve Szabo was helping.Had an O.S.80 single,with two glo-plugs.Topflite 14 x 6 Bird's Eye Maple prop......What? I remember things.!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:28 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,811 Posts
Maybe I can help with paint. I have over 30 years experience in the manufacture and tinting of coatings.

It's not really something that can be explained, though. Tinting needs to be taught, hands on, with an experienced teacher. Today, computers do most of the work, eliminating the need for people like me.

For most people painting warbirds, I suggest that they purchase paint from Warbirdcolors. http://www.warbirdcolors.com/welcome.asp

I've personally checked 5 of their German RLM colors against an official RLM color chart. All colors were accurate matches.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,622 Posts
Tom Crump-thanks for checking in.
A gentleman asked about paint matching,and information such as yours will be needed ,I'm sure.
I personally do not-can not -match paint.I use factory colors when possible,and I just don't build an airplane,if I know it'll be wrong.

This Fairchild will be a major rebuild,so let's get started....the following pictures show it as I received it.-No covering,many missing parts,and just as many broken ones.
I began with the fuselage stringers.Using a fine tooth razor saw,I cleared the glue joints on either side of the stringers at all formers.,then removed them.
The fuselage has a severe curve on top,so I elected to soak the 1/8 x 1/4 balsa to help bending. A dry run showed that although the stringers would bend,they tended to twist also, resulting in an unwanted curve.
4 stringers have been replaced.....beginning to remove 4 more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,622 Posts
We are going to discuss all facets of rebuilding/restoring model aircraft,under the assumption that some repairable aircraft have been commited to the dumpster rather than being fixed.
If you have questions or suggestions, put them forth.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Apr 04, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 02:29 AM
South Africa, KZN, Pietermaritzburg
Joined Aug 2011
24 Posts
Epoxyearl, I use a hand held steam cleaner to give me a steady stream of steam to bend stringers without the stringers twisting. I have even been able to untwist stringers that been glued on previously (on a prebuilt model given to me as a failed build) without removing them, as well as using the steamer to straighten a fuselage that had a twist towards the tail due to bad building by a previous builder (given to me by a disillusioned builder). I have also successfully bent sheeting over a stringer framed fuselage without having to soak the sheeting thus not having to wait a day or two waiting for the sheeting to dry out before glueing it on the fuselage.
DrakensFlyer is offline Find More Posts by DrakensFlyer
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,622 Posts
Thank you Drakensflyer...I had not heard of steaming stringers that way..I did often use a steam cleaner in my lawn care business.I was always impressed with how quickly an item dried after steaming.
It's another answer on our quest for answers!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7,622 Posts
I bent some more stringers yesterday.
I also had the plans copied at Rubensteins in Kennet Sq.Pa.5 sheets 36 x 60 for $25 bucks.
To clarify a commonly misunderstood question,you can copy a set of plans that you purchase,to use as a building set or parts patterns.You can't legally sell the copied plans,but you can sell the original ones,since they became yours when you bought 'em. Copied plans for resale are a no no. I don't know about loaning them though.
any way,The original Fairchild was Monocoted...don't know if I can do that though,I think I'll apply one of the fabrics.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:37 AM
Tasmania, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
44 Posts
G'Day.

Great idea for a new thread! I quite often buy wrecks and worn out models from garage sales and flee markets. I've been a scratch builder for some 30 odd years and these days I like building as much as flying - sometimes - for an old bloke like me building can even be preferable.

I notice you also mention repairing wrecks so here's a small contribution:-

I have come to the conclusion that ARF's and their laser cut components are not supposed to be repaired - the standard procedure seems to be - throw the thing in the rubbish bin and go buy another one. This probably suits those with no time to spare - to much money and no building experience. Damn it! I will not comply. A mate of mine recently apparently totaled his Boomerang Trainer and was ready to go buy another. The model went in due to a fault in his transmitter.

I intervened and volunteered to try to rebuild it. Yeah - I know - dumb huh?? The model was wiped out from the front of the cockpit forward and close inspection revealed a number of thin ply laminates were used to build the fuselage. So I thought - anything a laser cutter can do I can do better - well, I am an old fart - and know no better. I cut everything back square with the front cockpit bulkhead and cut two layers out of 1.00mm ply. I used the broken bits, CA'd back together as a template. I then carefully slit the fuselage layers back and spliced in my new pieces. I replaced the outer - basically cosmetic - layer with 1/16th balsa. All layers were joined with contact cement spread evenly over all surfaces and left to cure for 24 hours - the whole thing was jig aligned and the new front section was epoxyed to the fuselage. The next thing to do will be to make a couple of new bulkheads and plank the bottom of the fuselage. I'll recover it with Oracoat and leave my mate to refit his electric bits himself.

Rebuild photos attached:-
grumpy1942 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy1942
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:08 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,271 Posts
I got the perfect plane for restoration, a very old 1/4 scale Nosen Mulligan. Got it in a trade for engine work. Its pretty beat up with a broken left stab. It was covered in silk an dope. When I get to it, it'll be striped completely, fix a bunch of broken stringers, the stab, and patch the cowl, recovered in koveral. It'll be done up in the white scheme with a G-62 dropped in. It had a US35 in it. But I have to finish the 4 planes currently on the work bench. I promised myself I will finish projects before starting another. Got myself in a real jam with shop space now.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,622 Posts
I must have 15 projects going..Doesn't matter-it's the way I work.Never bored,always some thing fascinating going on...Please don't try to fix me!
Broken airplanes- don't care if they're kit built,scratch built or arfs,lets repair them,and maybe help someone learn how in the process.
My building buddy of 40 years is gone..so sharing here,we can get together and help each other,much as he and I did.
There is no time limit,no hurry,no rush..as you recall something,just post it.We can use humorus anecdotes,memories,and pics.
I just saw someone had posted pics from the 50's,in a 'can you identify' thread..
That's welcome here..Let's go back and enjoy some good times.
I only ask that you be NICE!, and respectful.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Oct 2011
7,622 Posts
Edwin-there's NEVER enough shop space.
Grumpy'42 ..good of you to stop by...half an airplane is better than none.It doesn't feel different repairing an ARF..If you can't match colors,use a different one! It's all good.
RCG Plus Member