HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2003, 08:39 AM
Agra, Oklahoma
Joined Feb 2000
5,341 Posts
High authority tail motor...

I had used the 7.2V GWS motor some time ago with mixed results. Well I tried it again for the heck of it and for some reason it works much better. I think the problem was that I was using the 4.8V motor with a large pinion (think it is 10 tooth). Much better matched with the 7.2 motor and that pinion.

Full throttle on the brushless HB and the tail is rock solid - perhaps deflecting a couple of degrees. I am very happy with it except the weight so far out.

While hovering nose in at about 20 feet up last evening, I lost all tail control and it began a wild piro to the ground. Broke the tail rotor as it was the first to hit. No other damage. The tail pinion had coem loose! My fault entierly.

As i had posted some poor results some months back I wanted to give some feedback to the contrary.

I wonder if we could adapt a hornet tail gearbox to a fixed pitch tail rotor and run the high authority tail motor through a shaft? That would put the weight of the tail motor at the back of the main frame instead of all the way on the tail......
Steve McBride is online now Find More Posts by Steve McBride
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2003, 10:09 AM
2012 Camaro ZL-1 Heli Hauler
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,199 Posts
GWS now has a motor designed for their new EDF-40H ducted fan that is spec'd to run on 9.6-12 vdc. The motor part number is CN12-RXC . I have been running one of the these EDF's on a test mule H'Bird chassis for a scale project of the RAH 66 Comanche that I am working on to prove the concept. The results are great! I run a 3s E-Tech LiPoly pack with a Hacker BL main motor and this EDF unit on the tail. This same motor (CN12-RXC) would be a natural for any set-up that has the potential to use 3 cell packs (namely a brushless main motor). Using one of these motors to drive the T/R via a Hornet gear box and shaft would work but adds a lot of overall weight and unwanted complexity. It's much easier to balance the airframe by repositioning the flight battery pack and moving the canopy and related CF mounting rod forward a few mm. This is what I did on my test mule and I had to counter the weight of the entire DF, unit not just the heavier motor.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup