HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:50 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,483 Posts
@ parker good lookin buick you have there i always loved that they would eat a stang wi the v6 a kickin looks as if it has a good home . and luxuary and a super charger my tow favorite cars in one !!!
rcphreak is online now Find More Posts by rcphreak
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:27 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2012
307 Posts
Looking to do the brushless 2.4 upgrade for my Losi Rally Car.

Has anyone changed the battery connector to the eflite UMX used on several planes? I have several 2s ~200 mah lipos that I use on my beast and Carbon cub and would love to use the same packs in the losi. The batteries fit so I am thinking about putting the connector on during the upgrade.
Lumpy05 is offline Find More Posts by Lumpy05
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:24 AM
Foam is good.
Tucker, GA
Joined Dec 2007
2,327 Posts
If it fits in the battery box i dont see why not. Then again you can get 240mah lipos that fit perfectly for about 3 bucks at value hobby. Still have to solder on new connectors and be careful not to drop them below 3v per cell. Use a lipo alarm or time your runs. Have fun!

John
HomeDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HomeDaddy
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDaddy View Post
If it fits in the battery box i dont see why not. Then again you can get 240mah lipos that fit perfectly for about 3 bucks at value hobby. Still have to solder on new connectors and be careful not to drop them below 3v per cell. Use a lipo alarm or time your runs. Have fun!

John
Cool, thanks. Doesn't the esc with the brushless upgrade have low voltage cutoff?
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:05 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,757 Posts
The tiny losi lipos have the cutoff built into the pack, so I don't know if the ESC has one or not.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
The tiny losi lipos have the cutoff built into the pack, so I don't know if the ESC has one or not.
Dang I think you are correct, the manual says for use with lipos w/ built in auto cutoff. I don't think my plan will work with my son driving the car unless I supervise every run.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:25 PM
Foam is good.
Tucker, GA
Joined Dec 2007
2,327 Posts
A lipo alarm can cure that but im having trouble findin a good place to mount the one I got from integy.
HomeDaddy is offline Find More Posts by HomeDaddy
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,182 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for the compliments on my full-scale rides! As you can see - I love boost! BTW - the GN can do 0-60 in just under 4 seconds on a good day, and I once took her up to 163 MPH while racing a Mercedes 600 V12 for top-end. She is definitely the quickest & fastest of the hot-rods I've owned over the years. She is also the most reliable car I have ever owned. In 190,000 miles, she has never failed to start when I turn the key, and she has never been on a trailer - or even towed.

Regarding using UMX packs in the SCT - that's what I'm doing. I converted the SCT to the JST PH3 'UMX' connector & I'm using my homebrew Hyp 240 mAh 2s packs - which just barely fit. The Hyp 240s provide more power & top speed than any other pack that will fit the battery box. Plus, they are designed for 5c charging, and they usually last for 300+ cycles at 5c charge before they start to fade.

Regarding the lack of LiPo LVC - simply go for a short, aggressive drive & note how many mAh your charger put back into the pack. Calculate the mAh to the 80% discharge point. Calculate the depth-of-discharge from your run, and then calculate the seconds per mAh consumed. Next, calculate the run-time to the 80% discharge point & set your timer accordingly.

Example: With a 240 mAh pack, an 80% discharge would be 192 mAh consumed. If you drove 5 minutes & the charger put 130 mAh back in, that would be 2.307 seconds of driving per mAh consumed. In this example, run-time to the 80% discharge point would be 7:23.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:59 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,483 Posts
this post should be a sticky ^^^^^^^ some of the best advice ive seen yet with detailed information great job parker .
rcphreak is online now Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Jan 2012
307 Posts
Thanks Joel that's a great post, I guess I'm not too worried about damaging packs, they are cheap and plentiful. I just won't give my hyperions to my son, he can have the nano techs.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Joined Sep 2011
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I plan to upgrade the steering servo, however. With the receiver's 1024-step resolution, a high-quality, precision digital steering servo will make things even better.

Joel
Did you ever find a good servo upgrade that fits in the stock body? I have both the 3-pin and multi-pin connections on my brushless brick, and I want to upgrade my servo so its less jittery and more precise, but I dont know where to start really
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
connector adapter?

I'm going to get one of these brushless cars (leaning toward the rally). I've got several 2S 240mAh batteries with the UMX connectors that I use on my UMX Beast airplane. I'd like to use these batteries with my new car. Does anyone make an adapter for the ESC plug on the car (JST?) that will allow me to use the UMX connectors on my batteries?

Thanks, Kim
raggedclaws is offline Find More Posts by raggedclaws
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:29 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Joined Sep 2011
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedclaws View Post
I'm going to get one of these brushless cars (leaning toward the rally). I've got several 2S 240mAh batteries with the UMX connectors that I use on my UMX Beast airplane. I'd like to use these batteries with my new car. Does anyone make an adapter for the ESC plug on the car (JST?) that will allow me to use the UMX connectors on my batteries?

Thanks, Kim
I am pretty sure that the RX and ESC are combined, so there is only the battery connector which uses the below plugs:

These connectors are hard to come by, and are quite expensive. I suggest that you swap out the losi connector for a UMX one in your case.

Also I am 100% a SCT man. You'll get more use out of the SCT as the rally bumpers will only allow you to run on smoothish surfaces, also the rally bumpers get in the way when approaching most jumps
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Oct 2010
34 Posts
Thanks for the info, Valiant. I'll definitely consider the SCT after reading your post. Replacing the car's connector with a UMX connector is exactly what I need to do. Where can I find the connector and how hard is it to switch out? I'm assuming that I will need a very small soldering iron. Any info on how to do this will be appreciated.
Thanks again.

Kim

Also, what is the battery connector that comes on the car called (i.e. JST, Tamiya, etc)?
raggedclaws is offline Find More Posts by raggedclaws
Last edited by raggedclaws; Sep 26, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:25 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Joined Sep 2011
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedclaws View Post
Thanks for the info, Valiant. I'll definitely consider the SCT after reading your post. Replacing the car's connector with a UMX connector is exactly what I need to do. Where can I find the connector and how hard is it to switch out? I'm assuming that I will need a very small soldering iron. Any info on how to do this will be appreciated.
Thanks again.

Kim

Also, what is the battery connector that comes on the car called (i.e. JST, Tamiya, etc)?
Any soldering iron will do the job, just be sure to use flux and pre-tin the bare wires. It would be too easy to swap out, just cut the old plug off and solder on the new plug. If you are not so confident with a soldering iron just get a umx female plug the wires pre-installed and then solder wire to wire and cover the bare bits with shrink wrap tubing.

Sure you will find UMX style plugs on ebay. I just did a quick google search and found this link, it may help: http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...index&cPath=80

No idea what the losi plugs are called, I read somewhere that a guy put out a bounty on the name of those plugs, with a prize. After several months an engineer posted a link to a chinese site, I think the brand my have been MOLEX or something.

I bought some kick ass batteries myself about a week ago (but still waiting for them to arrive), but I will need to swap out the plugs to losi: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html

As it turns out I think they may come with a UMX style plug, lol It seems that we are both in the same predicament, but from opposite ends of the spectrum!

My original plan was to purchase this battery (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html), and swap out the losi plugs to JST, however my plans soon came to a halt as all of the bits I wanted were sold out Damn you hobby king!! I couldnt even begin to fathom how quick these 1:24's would be on 3s
Last edited by valiantGLX; Sep 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM.