HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:41 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentumater View Post
The V1's have more room inside than other versions right?
Yes, V1 have more room because they do not have webbing molded in. The Bixler is a V1.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:48 PM
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentumater View Post
yeah it's still tight in there for all the goodies.Hey did anybody get in on that ebay sell off of the turnigy 9x transmitters a couple of day's ago? $42 shipped to your door worldwide.
Turns out the guy was a scam, I ordered some other stuff from him, now his account has been deleted. Was to be expected really with such prizes but then again you never know and I just tried, because there was buyer protection anyway.
Rennuh is offline Find More Posts by Rennuh
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:27 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2011
10 Posts
Ouch I was afraid of that,then I got scammed to.It was to good to be true yes.
greentumater is offline Find More Posts by greentumater
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2011
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Yes, V1 have more room because they do not have webbing molded in. The Bixler is a V1.
Great I think I will be happy with that even though some prefer other versions.
greentumater is offline Find More Posts by greentumater
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
Had some time to work on my plane tonight. It now has a nice long CF backbone as well as some reinforcement around the battery compartment. I flew my first SS into a chainlink fence and it squished the nose a bit to the point where the cockpit didn't fit so well. Hopefully now it'll take a light hit here and there.
Looks like you added quite a bit of the carbon tubing for reinforcing. That should keep it all together on a blunt force trauma.

There are some hazards out there that will nicely slice off a wing if you aren't careful. Using packing tape on the wing edges and nose protects them a little from that kind of abuse.

I do have a question. What are the bananas going to used for?

Vince
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:24 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
I am struggling to figure out how I want to mount this tail wheel... I already know how I am going to mount it to the fuse, but I am unsure of how I am going to mount it to the rudder... As it is now the wheel wire goes about 4mm or so above the rudder line... I can bend it and get about a 3 mm or so long upside down L shape that runs the bottom of the rudder... does everyone think this will be strong enough? Or I could shave off a few mm from the tail wheel holder, and give it some more length then I could get a little more metal to work with... though for one thing the tail wheel metal is pretty thick and HARD to bend... Plus once it's bent it's hard to get it in place, making it a tough choice .

Any ideas appreciated, will post some pics soon when I can of how the current options look... I will give a pic of the overall setup below for reference though. What I am doing is basically sticking the tail wheel black housing right into the rear of the fuse into the bevel that is formed below the tail and rudder approx a few mm below the surface of the fuse (where it all glues together), This seems to provide more then enough stability and strength, and seems I can just glue it right in place no problems, also gives me perfect alignment to get the tail wheel metal aligned perfectly with the hing point of the rudder itself, and provides more then enough clearance for the wheel to be able to pivot but also still give a good tight a low profile.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I do have a question. What are the bananas going to used for?

Vince
Nose weight, lol.
Dkumagai is online now Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:27 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennuh View Post
I actually think the LED is the same, the 3 dots you see on mine are printed so there is only 1 LED actually.
Is that LED for Tx battery health? Mine has just 1 LED and two dots that show as green ("High") and red ("Low"). I'm assuming when the LED goes red it means the Tx batteries need changing (?).

Also, on my Tx is shows a switch for "MIX" or "A-NOR". I'm assuming if this switch is in the "MIX" postilion that it mixes the ailerons and elevator?

The instruction manual says nothing bout the LED indicator or the MIX switch functionality.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:04 AM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
261 Posts
Cheap landing gear

Stopped by my local hobby shop today to get an aluminum landing gear for my Bixler when I found these. It's a Parkzone Extra 300 wire landing gear with wheels, $1.99. The wheel pants are also for the Extra and were $3.99. Pants were orange before painting. The landing gear were added to this plane as an after thought. I have a Sky Surfer V4 in transit and will install a landing gear block as part of the assembly.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:00 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Just got my package with my LG for my Bix as well as 2 2200mah batts, one a zippy from HK directly which checks out fine, then a turnigy from HK USA warehouse which 2 cells are fine but one is fluctuating between 0.6 and 0.8v on arrival... nothing I have will charge or balance it, and 2 different devices have confirmed the voltage... Not sure what to do with this battery...
I hooked my good battery to my bad battery with a parallel cable. Soon the cell on my bad battery was charged up enough from my good battery that now my charger would charge it. Worked for me, for what that's worth. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:16 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
I hooked my good battery to my bad battery with a parallel cable. Soon the cell on my bad battery was charged up enough from my good battery that now my charger would charge it. Worked for me, for what that's worth. -- JOHN
I have been looking to revive batteries.Was it the 2 main battery leads you hooked up or the balancing tabs?
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:40 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Ok so I got the tail wheel installed! After much pondering I came up with a solution to figure it out. First I used my dremel to sand down about 6mm of material from the bottom of the tail wheel brace, this gave me enough clearance to get about 10mm of metal perfectly aligned with the rudder. I then cut a small piece of white paper clip into a tight U shape to act as a guide, the 10mm or so of tail wheel wire is at the tip surrounded with the U shape piece and is CA'd as well as the tail wheel wire to the bottom of the rudder, I also added an extra U shape that acts as another bracket to make sure it holds well.

Video of it functioning:
Steerable Tail Wheel Installed on Bixler (0 min 37 sec)

I still have the main gear to attach yet, but I think I need to pay a visit to the hardware store first before I do that one, I want to make it easily removable .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:56 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,108 Posts
Can I ask WHY you are so intent on putting an undercarriage on the Bixler?
Everyone as far as I've seen just belly lands them.
I don't think I've seen any one else try/do it.
I'm certainly not going to bother when I (get time to) finally get around to building it.
Fugitive_Bill is online now Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Can I ask WHY you are so intent on putting an undercarriage on the Bixler?
Everyone as far as I've seen just belly lands them.
I don't think I've seen any one else try/do it.
I'm certainly not going to bother when I (get time to) finally get around to building it.
Look a few posts up someone else did too. I for one have a few reasons... 1: I want the versatility to fly anywhere, as the most of the local club fields are asphalt and concrete, the few grass spots are not very commonly used, 2: In the long run I really believe it will save a lot of long term stress to the fuse, as now it will hardly ever touch the ground, 3: I am setting mine up for easy removal so that I can belly land at my choice.

Just because it was initially designed as a belly lander doesn't mean it has to be one all the time .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:49 AM
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
Is that LED for Tx battery health? Mine has just 1 LED and two dots that show as green ("High") and red ("Low"). I'm assuming when the LED goes red it means the Tx batteries need changing (?).

Also, on my Tx is shows a switch for "MIX" or "A-NOR". I'm assuming if this switch is in the "MIX" postilion that it mixes the ailerons and elevator?

The instruction manual says nothing bout the LED indicator or the MIX switch functionality.
Yes it's for battery health, the dots are 1 green (High) en 2 red ones of the same color(Mid and Low). But I really wonder if it will actually go to red since the LED is green, you can even see this when it's off. I've never have it happen so I don't know for sure.

MIX position does mix ailerons and elevator, this is for when you want elevons for example, on a different plane that is. You can try this out yourself(on the ground preferably) switch it and you'll see that when you use aileron or elevator the other one will move as well.
Rennuh is offline Find More Posts by Rennuh