Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:54 AM
Gravity always gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnhemAnt View Post
Good advice.
However $2.25 for a pack of 10 and then $15.00 shipping to Australia......??
You could use unused female deans in a pinch to cover the exposed pins.

Just an idea.
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:34 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
928 Posts
Deans Caps

An alternative is to cut pieces of heat shrink tubing and shink to a loose fit; i.e., tight enough not to flop off with moderate handling, but not so tight that you struggle with getting 'em off.

I leave a length above the tops so that, after it is shrunk, it can serve as a "handle" to remove/place the caps.

IIRC, I took a spare male Deans, wrapped a layer of masking tape around the exposed male pins, then did the heat shrink bit. I vaguely recall that might have been a little on the loose side; been a while. Hence, my suggestion to not overly shrink the tubing on just the bare pins.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicow View Post
You could use unused female deans in a pinch to cover the exposed pins.

Just an idea.
Snowflake6515 is online now Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will give it a go as I am sure I will come up with something that will work.
ArnhemAnt is offline Find More Posts by ArnhemAnt
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:10 PM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,260 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question (and I have not read the entire thread, sorry). What power supply specs are needed to realize full potential of this charger?

thanks
Jim
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:50 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,202 Posts
From the PL8 Users Manual:

To take advantage of PowerLab 8’s full power capability, the power source should be
26.35V DC (higher voltage does not improve output power), and capable of delivering a
minimum of 60A to PowerLab 8’s input. Per Ohm’s law, 26.35V x 60A = 1581W. However,
it is generally not advisable to pull 100% of available power from a DC power
supply. Therefore, if you want to attain 1344W of output power to an 8s Li battery, the
power supply should be capable of 1700W or higher for best results.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:46 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Sorry for the dumb question (and I have not read the entire thread, sorry). What power supply specs are needed to realize full potential of this charger?

thanks
Jim
Also remember the power supply requirements depend on cell count. For instance I can max out my Powerlab8 with 6s packs using a 24v, 45 amp supply.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:32 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post

thanks
Jim
Your best bet is to experiment yourself with calculators on the Revolectrix website.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:31 PM
SA, TX
Joined Sep 2009
5 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm a newbie to the PL8. I've tried to find the right answer and I don't think i have found what I need. I am trying to do a storage charge or discharge on my batteries. I'm wanting to know if there is a setting that i am missing that I can set the charge to one of the presets that say all lipo storage and with a push of a button it will either charge or dishcarge the battery to the set voltage without me having to select charge only, discharge only. Can anyone help me?

I have tried to use the storage charge preset but it charges it fully, I searched and one person said the had a present for storage and the charger knew to either discharge or charge to the storage value. Can someone tell me where in the software or in the charger to set this up to storage charge or discharge?

I'm doing only 2S and 4S at this time.

Thanks in advance
picco007 is offline Find More Posts by picco007
Last edited by picco007; Feb 04, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:14 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,019 Posts
If the settings for the storage preset (preset #7), has not been altered, and the LiPo pack over storage level, the pack be discharged to 3.85v per cell. If the pack is below storage level, the pack will be charged to 3.85v per cell.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:19 PM
SA, TX
Joined Sep 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
If the settings for the storage preset (preset #7), has not been altered, and the LiPo pack over storage level, the pack be discharged to 3.85v per cell. If the pack is below storage level, the pack will be charged to 3.85v per cell.
Thank you, they were altered.....My fault, I will copy and paste it....that should do it, correct?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:25 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,019 Posts
Restore from the library preset and that should be fine. Use copy and paste to restore library preset 8 to regular preset 7.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:30 PM
SA, TX
Joined Sep 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
I was looking at my library and #7 preset is 1s/2s small non balanced, Preset #8 is All Brands Storage Charge and #9 is High power storage charge. So I updated the presets to factory default settings. Now i'm using Preset #7 and it automatically started to discharge and or charge to storage voltage.

I will begin to rebuild my library but I want to know what I changed to make it not storage charge or discharge automatically.

Thanks.
Last edited by picco007; Feb 04, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:10 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,019 Posts
Probably charge voltage or discharge voltage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:47 PM
SA, TX
Joined Sep 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Probably charge voltage or discharge voltage.
I'll take a look at that more carefully. Thanks
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:34 AM
Joined Nov 2012
39 Posts
just experienced the level of customer service at revolectrix, worth every bloody penny
apper001 is offline Find More Posts by apper001