HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2014, 08:19 AM
Joined Sep 2011
141 Posts
Rave
Redwing MXRS Must Read

I posted a while ago about the 1st FS RC Flight Training School putting the MXSR into their fleet. They just reported back that it is the best plane in their fleet. They know their planes and have tested just about every plane made. I know it is a long post but I think anyone with the MXSR will want to check out his set-up for this plane. It really shows you the detail it takes to properly set up a plane for IMAC along with a few cool mods. Here are his comments...
"Hi Tim.

Sorry about the delay getting back to you, but I wanted to wait until I could give a report on the MXSR. I spent a full day working on the setup and the performance I've been able to achieve a level of handling that exceeds just about everything in the school training fleet. I used the airplane in last week's advanced aerobatic class and each guy stated that because of the performance and convenient size (they fly 100cc and larger back home), each was going to order one for themselves. Indeed, they felt that the airplane flew as well as a 40% without nearly the hassle/expense!

I've optimized the MXSR for precision IMAC style aerobatics using the following setup:

Ail travel/expo: 5/8" / 25%
Elevator travel/expo: 7/8" / 25%
Ruder travel/expo: 2-1/2" / 30%

CG = 1" forward of the edge of the wing sheeting.

I placed a 3/32" shim under the top of the wing recess at the trailing edge to fill the gap and ensure the wing sits at the same angle every time.

I lowered both ailerons 1/16" from neutral (tricks wing into acting like it has positive incidence and thus neutral pitch stability)

I opened up the front of the cowl to expose the entire front of the engine cylinder to improve cooling.

I also installed 1/2" triangle vortex generators 3" in front of the aileron hinge line to help the airplane fly more like it's on rails and provide a more linear control response. Of course, installing thicker ailerons would be more optimum and make the VG's unnecessary, but is obviously not an option with most finished ARFs.

The airplane needed only small rudder-aileron/elevator mixing flying with the above settings.

I will do my best to share with as many people as I can our success with your MXSR. Pics will soon follow!

Thanks!

Dave
www.rcflightschool.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
mchadwick63 is offline Find More Posts by mchadwick63
Last edited by mchadwick63; Aug 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: corrected ele throw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2014, 10:55 PM
Joined Jul 2013
7 Posts
Awesome! His students will be pros after flying on this beast.
cherrybomb48 is offline Find More Posts by cherrybomb48
Old Jun 07, 2014, 11:07 PM
United States, TX, Elgin
Joined Aug 2005
58 Posts
Mxs-r

Dave is "spot on"; this plane is a diamond in the rough. I first had a chance to get a pull on Chris Boultinghouse's (RC Today Show) MXS-R down in Austin. The plane was so predictable and capable of any maneuver. "Redwing RC" has done it again!
toycannon is offline Find More Posts by toycannon
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 07, 2014, 11:45 PM
Team RedWing RC
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Aug 2013
463 Posts
Cool! Can't wait for pictures/videos.
RG916170 is offline Find More Posts by RG916170
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2014, 03:32 PM
Back Roads Outlaws
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
Throw a VVRC 40CC Twin in it if you really want to have fun
Desertlakesflyin is offline Find More Posts by Desertlakesflyin
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:11 PM
Joined Sep 2011
141 Posts
The correct throw on the elevator is 7/8".
I noted on the original post that the ele spec was not correct.
I just got around to emailing Dave at 1sr RC flight School and he replied in like 10 minutes.
Thanks!
mchadwick63 is offline Find More Posts by mchadwick63
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:39 AM
United States, TX, The Colony
Joined Nov 2012
376 Posts
thanks for the update.
los36 is online now Find More Posts by los36
Old Oct 03, 2014, 03:04 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,029 Posts
I have stayed away from the myriad of extra type clones and I have been flying low wing stuff like an 80" 35cc RV8, an 80" 15cc Pawnee, a 80" electric Spacewalker and a fleet of 50" foamies. I mainly fly half throttle and stick to basic stall turns, split-s's, emmilmans, some inverted, Easy stuff. I practice rolling circles on the simulator but haven't master them yet.

But, this RedWing MXSR is really tempting me. I haven't found a MXSR model build on the Real Flight's Knife Edge model sharing pages so I don't know if this would be too responsive of a plane for me. I suppose it all depends on the CG/throws/expo setup & engine selection.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Oct 03, 2014, 03:34 PM
Team RedWing RC
Joined Aug 2013
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I have stayed away from the myriad of extra type clones and I have been flying low wing stuff like an 80" 35cc RV8, an 80" 15cc Pawnee, a 80" electric Spacewalker and a fleet of 50" foamies. I mainly fly half throttle and stick to basic stall turns, split-s's, emmilmans, some inverted, Easy stuff. I practice rolling circles on the simulator but haven't master them yet.

But, this RedWing MXSR is really tempting me. I haven't found a MXSR model build on the Real Flight's Knife Edge model sharing pages so I don't know if this would be too responsive of a plane for me. I suppose it all depends on the CG/throws/expo setup & engine selection.

I've made a RedWing version of the MXSR on RF6.5 you can download. (along with other RW models). I've never personally flown the MXSR, but I have heard my RF version is pretty close. Here's a link: (you will have to download the base model first, though for it to work)
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=19752
and on that page you can also find the base model, and my "RedWing MXSR CS" repaint file.

here's my page of other models, including the 50cc Extra, 20cc profile Extra, and Yak 54 electric conversion.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=my
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2014, 03:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,029 Posts
That's excellent! I'll spend a few hours with it this weekend. That will give me a good idea what to expect with it.

The simulator saves me a ton of money. Every time I get a hankering for a heli, I hop on the simulator and fly a few. It doesn't take long to talk myself out of buying one Others like the Slipstream RV8 is wonderful on the simulator and in real life.

Thanks again for taking the time to make those models and sharing the links.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 04:59 PM
Team RedWing RC
Joined Aug 2013
463 Posts
Quote:
That's excellent! I'll spend a few hours with it this weekend. That will give me a good idea what to expect with it.

The simulator saves me a ton of money. Every time I get a hankering for a heli, I hop on the simulator and fly a few. It doesn't take long to talk myself out of buying one Others like the Slipstream RV8 is wonderful on the simulator and in real life.

Thanks again for taking the time to make those models and sharing the links.
No problem
if you have any ideas of other repaints or variations you want me to do, PM me on KE, my username on there is also RG916170 (same as on FG, 3DRC, GSN, and RCU)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2014, 08:01 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,029 Posts
WOW RG, if the real Redwing MXSR flies as good as your variant does I'll have to get one. There's nothing to be afraid of there. It's very smooth, predictable and fun.
Old Oct 04, 2014, 09:28 AM
Team RedWing RC
Joined Aug 2013
463 Posts
Quote:
WOW RG, if the real Redwing MXSR flies as good as your variant does I'll have to get one. There's nothing to be afraid of there. It's very smooth, predictable and fun.
and I've heard if you turn up the throws and put in a big engine it can REALLY be fun
RCG Plus Member