5,888 Posts
That is exactly what I was thinking
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:15 PM
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Joined Dec 2001
966 Posts
The title of this thread need to be changed... Its not illegal to fly for money... I have been
doing it for years.. Made good money... The Local FAA guy called me and said there is an advisory against it, but I am not breaking any law and he could not stop me.. He was very nice about the whole thing.

Eddie Weeks
www.jetlens.com
EddieWeeks is online now Find More Posts by EddieWeeks
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:55 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWeeks View Post
The title of this thread need to be changed... Its not illegal to fly for money... I have been
doing it for years.. Made good money... The Local FAA guy called me and said there is an advisory against it, but I am not breaking any law and he could not stop me.. He was very nice about the whole thing.

Eddie Weeks
www.jetlens.com

yeah baby!!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:47 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWeeks View Post

Eddie Weeks
www.jetlens.com
Thanks for not being afraid to speak up, I am getting the same responses here in my town.
People are all very supportive. The authorities also.
The nature of my AP work is all pro-community & public safety & business.
the only negativity ive ever heard was a jealous local peer & on this forum.
http://www.detroitdrone.com
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:37 AM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,964 Posts
It's all a bunch of unknown at this point, that's why people are having completely different experiences with their local FAA reps. If the FAA can't get their own reps on the same page "rule/guideline" wise, how do they expect to regulate it?

This is the same for me as Marijuana here in Colorado. Their are companies spending millions of dollars on manufacturing / production here and in WA and technically it's illegal under federal law. At any time federal law can be enforced and the entire operation shut down. Does this stop those investors? Nope, just like the dot com days, get in while you can knowing it all could come crashing down at any time.

I think AP as it currently is rule wise is the same way. Have good insurance, a good lawyer, and don't do anything stupid just to make that buck and ride it out...
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:47 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,529 Posts
I did work with these guys once..
The " HARVEST " show on the " HISTORY CHANNEL" Aerial Video by Got Aerial llc. www.gotaerial.com (8 min 10 sec)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:30 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
I did work with these guys once..
That is one of the most depressing videos I have ever seen. It rates right up there with Monsanto controlling the canola crops, and Vietnamese people being obliterated by napalm. I want to eat food that was touched by human hands. Who was the winner...the guys with the red machines...or the guys with the other red machines?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,529 Posts
Oh man!
I love watching videos knowing guys get paid doing RCAP

"Bag of Tricks" RC Aerial Video from Vail Resort (3 min 11 sec)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:08 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,076 Posts
That was a beautiful video brushless55. It would be great if our little ski hill had a big soft bag to land on. I also enjoyed the scene at the end of the kids running along the creek.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:20 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,888 Posts
Lot's of local folks feel the same... it's the folks in D.C. who are out of touch with reality. I know, imagine that
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:33 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
284 Posts
harryarnold, I just watched a few of your youtube videos and I'm not quite sure what you are thinking by flying over people to get what you think is "the shot". Plus, your videos have quite a bit of jitter/jello, so they are not that much fun to watch. It doesn't matter how long you have been flying RC, your craft can still fail at any time and land on someone. That is, if you are thoughtless enough to fly over people to capture the jittery video that you wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryarnold View Post
You are a fear monger. I am not afraid of you. I am in the air without your 'help'. (despite it really). that must be what you don't like about me.
You as a citizen can tell the FAA anything you want. I WORK WITH ALL AUTHORITIES HERE IN DETROIT.
We share a airport hanger with the tuskegee airmen for our indoor winter flying.
i corespond with: Homeland Security, Mayor Bing, Local Airport (FAA), regional (michigan) UAV-NAS integration board & testing site selection commitee.
I dont need to call anyone that I am not in touch with already.
Maybe you call yourself "telling on me"....but 'They' know already.

Please tell people when your opinions come from 'between the lines'. instead of representing them as facts.

my most recent work : http://www.suasnews.com/2013/01/2064...doritos-drone/

i shot edited and scripted this ad. I also did some of the flying and flew the AP chase quad for shots of the "actor drone".
Been in the business 25 years.

This is something i did publicly with Homeland Security : http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/19...yes-in-the-sky

video channel (not a fail): http://www.detroitdrone.com
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:40 PM
aerialskycam
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R42940.pdf
AerialSkyCam is offline Find More Posts by AerialSkyCam
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:59 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialSkyCam View Post
soo let me try to sum this up

if you want to fly Commercial to bad you need to get FAA approval which you likely wont get unless your Boeing or Lockheed or maybe a major edu

if your modeler do not fly fly over 400' OR ELSE
now in this area what if your flying a club that OWNS /rents the land does that mean said club owns the airspace and you can tell the FAA to take a hike on the 400' rule?

and Congress as asked the FAA to get some thing done a wile ago but they havent and no one in DC really cares till some thing ends up going to the SCOTUS and they have till 2015 to officaly do any thing about the NPRM which may not even happen then
and until the THAT rule is made no flying commercial 'OR ELSE'

that sound about right?

its pretty BS that the FAA is dragging its feet any no one is putting them to coals about it ...
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:16 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
The legal issues discussed in this report will likely remain unresolved until the civilian use of drones becomes more widespread. To that end, the FAA has been tasked with developing “a comprehensive plan to safely accelerate the integration” of drones into the national airspace, which focuses on the safety of the drone technology and operator certification. While the deadline for development of the plan has already elapsed, the FAA has until the end of FY2015 to implement such a plan.173 Additionally, the FAA must identify six test ranges where it will integrate drones into the national airspace. This deadline, 180 days after enactment of the act, has also elapsed without FAA compliance. Once these regulations are tested and promulgated, the unique legal challenges that could arise based on the operational differences between drones and already ubiquitous fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters may come into sharper focus

Really, eventually, they will get around to it once all of the FAA handlers have gotten their say on how it's implemented. Wouldn't want to stop that revolving door now would we.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MacGyver View Post
harryarnold, I just watched a few of your youtube videos and I'm not quite sure what you are thinking by flying over people to get what you think is "the shot". Plus, your videos have quite a bit of jitter/jello, so they are not that much fun to watch. It doesn't matter how long you have been flying RC, your craft can still fail at any time and land on someone. That is, if you are thoughtless enough to fly over people to capture the jittery video that you wanted.
PERSONAL ATTACK REPORTED regarding your need to publicly bash my videos...
regarding safety, i fly responsibly and am getting great results around here.
chicken little said the sky is falling too.

I looked for some of your work, but couldn't find it. but i did see you were doing your 'first build' waaay back on the 6th of january 2013!! (posting for someone to tell you how to connect your motors...) ...good luck with that and waiting to see what you come up with. thanks for your opinion, even though you dont have much experience to back it up. a lot of people are enjoying my work. sorry youre not able to enjoy it too.
www.detroitdrone.com
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Last edited by harryarnold; Feb 24, 2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: sarcasm reduction
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)