SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signal7 View Post
I'm not too sure how Spektrum does their failsafes, but can you simply store the failsafe setting in the receiver? On my Frsky receiver I set the TX to push out a recognized failsafe value on the flight mode channel, then set that as the failsafe on the receiver. Now the receiver remembers to send that value when the signal is lost. After that, I went along and reprogrammed everything else in my TX, since it's really the receiver storing the failsafe value.
The Spektrum does the same thing. Basically, after a loss of signal, the receiver will just input the positions that were set on your TX when binding it. I.e., sticks centered, throttle decrease, throttle cut, etc. But now, with NAZA RTH, what will keep the RC receiver from locking out the NAZA, preventing it from flying the RTH profile because it's sensing a signal loss and going into it's own failsafe mode? Sorry for not understanding.
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:33 PM
USA, VA, Merrifield
Joined Jun 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
The Spektrum does the same thing. Basically, after a loss of signal, the receiver will just input the positions that were set on your TX when binding it. I.e., sticks centered, throttle decrease, throttle cut, etc. But now, with NAZA RTH, what will keep the RC receiver from locking out the NAZA, preventing it from flying the RTH profile because it's sensing a signal loss and going into it's own failsafe mode? Sorry for not understanding.
Well the Naza doesn't detect signal loss per se... Your receiver is going to send its failsafe values to the Naza when the signal is lost, and that's what it sees. So the receiver goes into failsafe, sends its failsafe values to the Naza, and the Naza goes into failsafe. If the failsafe value isn't setup right though, Naza won't know to go into failsafe. For example, if your failsafe value on your RX keeps it in GPS mode, then it will stay in GPS mode when signal is lost. At least this is the way I've understood it to be.
signal7 is offline Find More Posts by signal7
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:46 PM
USA, VA, Merrifield
Joined Jun 2008
233 Posts
Azure, found these videos that might be of assistance in setting up a RTH switch and properly configuring failsafes.

Let me know if this is the same with the DX6i, since I don't have one to verify.

2012_04_29_failsafe_mix (2 min 28 sec)

2012_04_29_failsafe (3 min 9 sec)
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Yes 8 channels is plenty, here's the wiring diagram from the manual.

You'll have 1-3 channels left over depending on if you use X1 and X2.
Thanks for the quick reply Sig7. I had seen that page, but wanted to be sure my rx was up to the task. It takes forever to gather all this stuff when you start with nothing. Have a pleasant weekend.

Brown_Pig
brown_pig is offline Find More Posts by brown_pig
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Azure, found these videos that might be of assistance in setting up a RTH switch and properly configuring failsafes.

Let me know if this is the same with the DX6i, since I don't have one to verify.

http://youtu.be/Uu7Q2-K2O3E

http://youtu.be/2iZL5gK7QaU
Yes, it's making more sense now. The missing link for me was programming the failsafe NAZA parameter into the Spektrum failsafe mode. I've never messed with creating mix settings before, but will delve into it. I think I can now figure out how to get the NAZA GPS / DX6i combination to work for my purposes . Thanks so much!
azure is offline Find More Posts by azure
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:59 PM
USA, VA, Merrifield
Joined Jun 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
Yes, it's making more sense now. The missing link for me was programming the failsafe NAZA parameter into the Spektrum failsafe mode. I've never messed with creating mix settings before, but will delve into it. I think I can now figure out how to get the NAZA GPS / DX6i combination to work for my purposes . Thanks so much!
Excellent. Let us know your findings, I'm sure there are others using the DX6i as well.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:17 PM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Well the Naza doesn't detect signal loss per se... Your receiver is going to send its failsafe values to the Naza when the signal is lost, and that's what it sees. So the receiver goes into failsafe, sends its failsafe values to the Naza, and the Naza goes into failsafe. If the failsafe value isn't setup right though, Naza won't know to go into failsafe. For example, if your failsafe value on your RX keeps it in GPS mode, then it will stay in GPS mode when signal is lost. At least this is the way I've understood it to be.
Yes, this is all absolutely correct - and a reason why you need to understand how the failsfe works on your receiver before you do any live testing with the copter!
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:56 PM
Bladerex700
Joined Jul 2007
422 Posts
I got mine today play with it, put it on gps mode and the wind is so strong that it was been I drifted by it, but I'll do second test tmrw if winds gust lowers
BladeRex is offline Find More Posts by BladeRex
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Mar 2008
151 Posts
Quote:
Excellent. Let us know your findings, I'm sure there are others using the DX6i as well.
like me
h00t is offline Find More Posts by h00t
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:16 PM
USA, VA, Merrifield
Joined Jun 2008
233 Posts
Just got mine from my local dealer so I may swap out my wkm on my f550 for a direct comparison.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, CA, Soquel
Joined May 2011
175 Posts
Just went down to Heliworld and picked up one while they had them in stock.The winds were really strong this evening so I didnt get to test much.The IOC didnt seem to work for me.I tried using course lock and it blinked as if it accepted the heading but the controls seemed to be Manual.I will retry tomorrow.
sparkyincali is online now Find More Posts by sparkyincali
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:32 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,937 Posts
Sparky did you get 4 green blinks from the led? If not you cannot use IOC. Did you set up a three position switch and calibrate your compass? I did a test of mine two nights ago and even without calibration IOC was great along with GPS. You can look at my video earlier in this thread.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:43 PM
Bladerex700
Joined Jul 2007
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyincali View Post
Just went down to Heliworld and picked up one while they had them in stock.The winds were really strong this evening so I didnt get to test much.The IOC didnt seem to work for me.I tried using course lock and it blinked as if it accepted the heading but the controls seemed to be Manual.I will retry tomorrow.
Same here , what's up with this weather here in the bay area
BladeRex is offline Find More Posts by BladeRex
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:07 PM
USA, VA, Merrifield
Joined Jun 2008
233 Posts
I know some folks were wondering what the Naza GPS came with in terms of mounting hardware.

Here's what's in the box:
- Naza GPS
- Upper and lower mounting brackets
- Mounting stalk
- 4 pieces of 3m mounting tape
- Stickers for alignment/measurement

The WKM comes with 3 different sizes of mounting stalks, short, medium, and long. The Naza GPS only comes with the short. It sounds like some people don't use the mounting bracket at all. On my WKM I'm using the medium length, but I never really experimented with it to see if there was a difference.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:29 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
10,444 Posts
Just so everyone is clear you will not trigger a pre set fail-safe on a 6200 rx.

You need a ar7000 or higher rx to trigger fail-safe with spektrum. Then you also have to bind twice. One to standard bind and then next bind with be with the TX in the config that will trigger the naza or wkm to trigger their Failsafe.

So for an example I use throttle hold to trigger failsafe on the wkm/naza. So I would power on rx with bind plug. Once power light is blinking pull bind plug. Now I power on my TX with throttle hold ON and bind button pressed. Recycle power and now test your failsafe via software.
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: GenAce Tattu 25c 22,000mah 6s1p