SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:06 AM
Monroe, Wa
Joined Aug 2005
357 Posts
Got a close up look at the Neos. Very clean and a very good price point!
DBSkyout is offline Find More Posts by DBSkyout
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:16 AM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
Oh no! sorry to hear about the crash Thomas. Sounded like an awesome contest! I couldn't come to this one but should be able to come to the one in May; are you planning on attending that one? If not, perhaps someone else will have a Neos I can see up close.

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:34 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Nice flying with you Dave!

Joe, Oh well! It shouldn't be a hard repair, and it'll give me an excuse to build a new Neos! I won't be able to attend, will be back in Hong Kong by then unfortunately. There should be a couple SASS guys flying theirs by then, so maybe you will be able to check one out

Thomas
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ThomasLee; Apr 17, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:32 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Jan 2010
310 Posts
So will it be fixed and flying on the 21 st at Anderson Turf in Mission?
Airbud is online now Find More Posts by Airbud
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Hey Wayne,

I'll be aiming to get it fixed by then. I just need to find some carbon cloth at home (no luck so far), or go out and buy some. Not sure where I would buy it locally though...

Thomas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:33 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
Hey Wayne,

I'll be aiming to get it fixed by then. I just need to find some carbon cloth at home (no luck so far), or go out and buy some. Not sure where I would buy it locally though...

Thomas
I'm sure one of the SASS guys will hook you up with some carbon cloth...post your need over on the NW DLG contest thread.

Russ
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:19 PM
Veradale, WA
Joined Jun 2007
59 Posts
Got Mine

I just got my Neos. Overall, the quality looks good. I like the one piece fuse with all the "attachments" pre-installed along with the built in stab mount and the oval shaped tail boom. The only minor complaint I have is the leading edges look a little sharp so will take some time to finish them to the proper airfoils. I am planning on using Atx 802 servos (hopefully will fit). Should be an easy "build".

These are the wieghts of the components as marked on them (in grams): fuse - 41.02, stab - 7.7, fin - 8.5, Rwing - 58.39, Lwing - 59.15.

Art
Art_Boy is offline Find More Posts by Art_Boy
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:14 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Enjoy the build, Art
The Atx 802's should fit flush at the specified location.
We are using a slightly different bagging technique on our feathers that don't need us to sand the LE and still maintain the correct shape. We will check with the templates again and see if we need to change something during the bagging process or do some post-processing.

For everyone building the kits, please look at the vertical carefully. The planform is symmetrical, but the airfoil is not! It's a little hard to tell, but if you take a look at about 50% of the foil, it is a bit more obvious. Please have the 'top' of the airfoil pointing towards the throwing blade side.

Thanks for the tip Russ, I'm actually back in Vancouver already, so won't be able to pick any up from the SASS guys. IIRC one of the local hobby shops have some CF and FG, so I'll head over tomorrow and see if they still do.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ThomasLee; Apr 17, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:10 AM
The Great NorthWest
Joined May 2007
1,029 Posts
Thank you Thomas!

The Neos (pictured below) as presented last Saturday. All up weight of airframe plus components in accessories bag is 180.54g. Weight of 3 JR DS285's, Hyperion 1S 550mAh LiPo, R6203SB receiver is 54.6g.
For a total of 235.14g (8.4oz.) w/o glue, hardpoints and possible servo tray. Should easily achieve a flying weight of under 10 ounces.
Plans are to install all the 285's in the pod but will check for proper CG during construction and if need be will change plans and go with two D47's (or DS09's) in the wing.
Going to follow Thomas's recommendations and try rudderless (my first rudderless ship).
Planning to have the Neos ready for the next SASS contest in May.

Ken
xwingnut is offline Find More Posts by xwingnut
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:52 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
Hey Ken,

Can't wait to see yours done!
I'll take a photo of how I fit my 285 into the fuse and post it here for you to see. I don't think a servo tray will work, it needs to be glued at an angle with the horns at the middle of the fuse where it's widest.
I think with 3 285's up front you will need little or no noseweight.
The horns supplied in the current kits are meant for top-drive, but future kits will include in addition to te top-drive flaperon horns and elevator horn, the bottom drive horns (which is needed for 3-in-the-fuse), and rudder horn for those who like using the rudder.

Thomas
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,188 Posts
Hey Ya'll!

I finally got to working on my Neos. The wing is just about ready for joining. Both servo holes are cut out and one is mounted, the other is close. I've posted some pictures of them.

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:43 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,979 Posts
James are you going rudderless? and what are the two little bumps on the fuse in the wing saddle? They look like screws?
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,188 Posts
Dave,

I plan on trying rudderless but right now it looks like the plane will need the extra nose weight of a servo. I'll try it and if i don't like it i'll put a servo in for rudder. Personally, assuming the ailerons are stiff enough, i'd put all 3 servos in the pod. There is plenty of room, more then i have had in a long time, and the plane will need the weight in the nose anyway.

All,

The wing is joined, and the rudder and stab are being prepped for install. I'll take some more pictures tomorrow.

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:52 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,157 Posts
David, the new mould was originally intended for 3 bolts rather than 2, but later modified back to the conventional 2 bolts since it's a little harder to do 3 bolts on a bagged wing.

Looking good James!
Hope we can continue to pull the weight down on the tails to require less nose weight in the future. 3 in the pod is great on this fuse.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Jun 2009
874 Posts
did i miss how much they are being priced at?
Storm51 is offline Find More Posts by Storm51