HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Build Log
Top flite GS p47 ARF

so here is my build of my arf top flite p-47 gs. i have everything for it but the retracts now. so i am taking my time putting it together. here are some pictures of it so far.

doing work on the cockpit

got the pitts installed.

so i am not sure if i wanna make a hatch in the side of the plane for the air fill, gas fill, and charge and power switches. i think it would be really cool just gotta figure out how i am gunna do it and where to put it. any suggestions would be great. thanks
Jakedizzle is offline Find More Posts by Jakedizzle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2011, 05:27 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
652 Posts
Looks like a fun project! I have seen videos of the plane in the air and it flies well, too. P-47's are all-around good flyers.

While it is exposed, could you measure the dimensions of the firewall? I would like to know if it is wide enough to hold a G-62.

Thanks and best of luck with your plane!
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Thank man. Ok the firewall is 5 1/2 inches wide by 5 3/4 tall of flat surface to mount to. I have seen people put that motor on this plane so it should fit.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 05:33 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
652 Posts
Could you tell me if much of the G-62 or the muffler was exposed?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:58 AM
Joined Sep 2009
11 Posts
Hi guys,

I have the kit built version which has been completed to primer stage and then test flown (2 weeks ago). It flys great and is now on the bench waiting to be torn down for final details and paint. There was a question about fitting in a G-62. These "round" cowl planes have a pretty big front end and with a wrap around pitts style muffler I'm pretty sure it will go in. I have a
3W80 in mine (fully enclosed in the cowl). The muffler took a bit of surgery but it fits as well. I did spend some time in the build to strengthen the front end and motor box to handle the extra power. I'm not sure that I would strap this motor into the ARF version although I have not seen if there is any differences in how the ARF is built as compared to the stock kit build.

BTW your DL55 will fly this plane very nicely. Looking forward to seeing your plane completed.
Trumpetman is offline Find More Posts by Trumpetman
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:37 AM
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Thanks man. Yea I am just taking my time getting it together. I am getting all my retract stuff as a Christmas present so I am Gunna finish everything else and throw those in last.

As for the g62 go on YouTube and type in "p-47 retract test.mov" exactly like that without the " and it will be the first video. He has a g62 in his if u wanna see what it looks like inside
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:42 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
652 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
got some more work done today. looking good so far.

Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
So now all my control surfaces are done and throttle is done. Now I gotta install a choke servo just for the heck of it. Not much more to do gotta run the fuel line and make a hatch for the switches and air fill. Then the last thing will be installing my landing gear when I get it and the tank and valve.

Does anyone know if u run 8 channel and u use up all the channels with servos or kill switch where do I plug in the battery to run my servos. Can I use a Y harness and on one of the ends plug in a choke servo for example and the other plug would be for the receiver battery if that is ok to do or does the receiver battery need a plug by itself. Thanks guys.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:03 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
652 Posts
Don't forget the dummy engine. It helps with engine cooling.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Yea I am thinking about getting an aftermarket dummy engine cause the one that comes with the plane is so weak and flimsy. Drilling holes in it for the rockers was a pain and didn't come out how I wanted so I wasn't going to run the stock one. Maybe I will have better luck with a nicer one.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:30 AM
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Did some more work. Here she is.

Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:57 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
652 Posts
Very nice!!
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:26 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,494 Posts
Looks great! Exhaust is nicely done When is your maiden?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
After Christmas. Still gotta get the landing gear. Everything else is done except motor break in. Got alot of time to do that though.