SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by brett1984, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:43 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
Discussion
my airliner designs cut on my cnc machine

In july last year i brought myself a nice sized cnc machine with a cutting bed on 36'' x 24'', I had all ready been using autocad to do desiging, so here is a few pics on my designs, the first pics is of my cnc machine, then some parts i cut for my dc10, then for a 727-200 then a 747-400 then an A380.

The dc10, 747-400 and the A380 are all designed for pusher props as there wing span are all under 41'' wingspans, the dc10 is a full 6ch model with flaps and retracts the span is 36'' and made from depron, balsa and lite ply the pusher motor is in the tail. For the 747-400 and the A380 undercarriage would be complicated, so no under carriage is going to be fitted. these models are made from the same as above.

The 727-200 is 72'' in length and 48'' span and will be powered by to 66mm fans, same as the eflite airliner, more to come........

my aim is to kit these airframes as i have got the A380 design to a stage that every parts is pre cut for assembley with over a 110 parts on 3mm depron, 6mm depron, 3mm balsa and 2mm ply. This includes the sheeting of the model centre section, the whole design just slots together no need for any plan to build over as long as you can follow instructions you could build this model in a day.

The engine pods are designed to be held on with magnets so landing just knocks the pods of with out damaging the wing.

The wing span is 1050mm /41'', the length is 955mm/ 37.5''. The battery hatch is at the front of the model just after the cockpit, the A380 in the pictures is prototype 1 as to check that all the parts fit, prototype 2 has been cut and started to be built with the new battery hatch in place.

depron 727-200 fuselage being cut on my cnc router (4 min 48 sec)

depron 727-200 fuselage part 2 being cut (4 min 37 sec)

Just added 3 pictures to the bottom of my autocad drawings, just started the smaller 727-200 on saturday, just got to finish the design of the wing and will be cutting out soon, ive kept the curved leading endge of the wing instead of going for the easy route of just making the wing have a straight leading edge, the wing span is just 33 inches with a fuselage length of 47 inches. It has been a design challenge of how to blend the centre engine into the rudder and how to operate the elevator as i did not want control snakes so i have gone for the twin elevators servo directly under the evelvator.
brett1984 is offline Find More Posts by brett1984
Last edited by brett1984; Jun 21, 2011 at 02:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:18 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
Wow ! Nice stuff !
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:35 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Wow ! Nice stuff !
Thank you for your comments
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:29 AM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
I am very impressed with your cnc machine, your design and model. How long does it take for the machine to cut a typical sheet of parts for your airliner? Did you have prior experience with a machine similar with this one or is it your first go with this type of automation?

I would very much like to invest in equipment like that but would hardly know where to start researching it. I have retired early and something like this could be a good investment for me. My background is in engineering, automation systems, and management but never had the need to learn CAD. By the time that technology came along, I was already in management and no longer needed it myself.

Beautiful work you are doing!

Cheers
Daddyrabbit
daddyrabbit1954 is offline Find More Posts by daddyrabbit1954
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:08 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
Thanks

QUOTE=daddyrabbit1954;18564390]I am very impressed with your cnc machine, your design and model. How long does it take for the machine to cut a typical sheet of parts for your airliner? Did you have prior experience with a machine similar with this one or is it your first go with this type of automation?

I would very much like to invest in equipment like that but would hardly know where to start researching it. I have retired early and something like this could be a good investment for me. My background is in engineering, automation systems, and management but never had the need to learn CAD. By the time that technology came along, I was already in management and no longer needed it myself.

Beautiful work you are doing!

Cheers
Daddyrabbit[/QUOTE]

Hi Daddy rabbit, thanks for your comments about my design, this is my first cnc machine ive never even seen a cnc machine in person before this, also im self taught on all the programmes that are needed to produce my designs, ie autocad to do my designs on, Artcam pro to produce my gcode on and mach3 witch controls my cnc.

I have had to teach myself as i do not know anybody with a cnc machine, it was not to hard. once i got familiar with shortcuts etc.

My machine will cut a typical sheet of depron in 20-30 minutes, that is a 700mm x 1000mm sheet of depron containing 40-50 parts. For each of my parts i add tabs (tabs are added in artcam pro)to hold them into the sheet once the machine has finished cutting you can pic the sheet up with out the pieces falling out, for each tab it adds about 4 seconds so for an arverage part say 5tabs thats 20 seconds of time per part added. But it is sure quicker than cutting out by hand

I brought my machine from ebay from sellerhttp://myworld.ebay.co.uk/cscs219/?_trksid=p4340.l2559.

My machine cost me around 1500 plus i did not need to pay customs charges witch was a bonus, theres only one thing i found hard to do and that was finding out the (s.p.i) steps per inch as the machine was from hong kong, no instructions where given to set up machine but once i started reading on the web about it it did not take long for me to get the steps set up and running.

I thought Autocad was abit difficult to start with but i downloaded some free plans, opened them up in cad and started to mess and try differnt things on the designs and soon for it was not to diffcult after all that was nearly 4 years ago. On my designs i draw in 2d then go into 3d to check that all the parts fit. you can orbit around the parts its great to see your design like that.

Ive had parts cut from my designs from a company called http://slecuk.com/, before but ive had to draw, send them the file, they've cut it, if theres a part wrong ive had to redraw and pay again, so i wanted to have my own machine so i saved up and brought one.

I can work on a design for weeks sometimes and to see it cut out and come together is very satisfying..........
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:17 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Will this do equally well with cutting balsa and light plywood parts?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:08 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
cutting balsa/ply

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrabbit1954 View Post
Will this do equally well with cutting balsa and light plywood parts?
This machine will cut what ever material you like, plastic, wood or metal, you just need the correct cutting bit and speeds for the material you would like to cut, i have artcam pro you can tell it what size cutting bit you have, the speeds recommened for that drill bit comes up also the material it recommends a speed for it to be cut at to save burning etc.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:25 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Wow, that's just amazing. You are in the best possible position (IMHO) as a modeler. I hope you have many years of enjoyment from your investment. Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett1984 View Post
This machine will cut what ever material you like, plastic, wood or metal, you just need the correct cutting bit and speeds for the material you would like to cut, i have artcam pro you can tell it what size cutting bit you have, the speeds recommened for that drill bit comes up also the material it recommends a speed for it to be cut at to save burning etc.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:58 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,855 Posts
I never thought it could be this affordable to have a cnc machine to yourself. Very interesting, and you learned it by yourself. Good job !
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:51 PM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
Hi Brett, Ran across this blog because it was "featured". I built a homebrew cnc router about 9 years ago. Pretty simple compared to yours but it works. Using TurboCad/ Sheetcam/ Mach3. I just got done cutting a Superhero kit from plans. My first project was a Boeing 757... If flew great until the esc failed. I have had a lot of problems with my bits melting the foam and destroying the Depron. I have to babysit the router to shut it down if foam melts and sticks to the cutting bit. Looks like your CnC moves very fast. Any melting issues?
tp
Tom in Cincy is offline Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Old Jun 25, 2011, 01:05 PM
A posse ad esse
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Feb 2011
921 Posts
Tom

Was your cnc built from a kit? I am in the investigative stage of interest in a cnc for my shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy View Post
Hi Brett, Ran across this blog because it was "featured". I built a homebrew cnc router about 9 years ago. Pretty simple compared to yours but it works. Using TurboCad/ Sheetcam/ Mach3. I just got done cutting a Superhero kit from plans. My first project was a Boeing 757... If flew great until the esc failed. I have had a lot of problems with my bits melting the foam and destroying the Depron. I have to babysit the router to shut it down if foam melts and sticks to the cutting bit. Looks like your CnC moves very fast. Any melting issues?
tp
Old Jun 25, 2011, 02:22 PM
Tom Para
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Joined May 2003
1,199 Posts
No it was not a kit just pieced together from a company called Foamlinx. He no longer offers any such parts. Check out this guy http://www.hobbycnc.com/
He has some pretty economical stuff. If you are an E bay'r I have seen some really nice pieces to make a router up. The machine Brett has looks really nice. More than I could afford. My buddy built the router from hobby cnc plans. It works well and you will learn much about cnc from it.
Tom in Cincy is offline Find More Posts by Tom in Cincy
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:18 PM
Seoul, Korea
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
wow nice, great build.
but why is somebody hiding under the table in picture 0579? ^^
kuzao is offline Find More Posts by kuzao
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:25 AM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
foam melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy View Post
tp
Hi tom, shame about your 757 it looked great!! that cnc machine looks great too, does it have a vaccumed bed to hold pieces down??? I have expreinced foam sticking to the bit only when cutting 6mm depron though but not on 3mm depron , but once i turned up the speed of the router spinning the cutting bit has not happend since, i figured as it was not spinning fast enough it must of created resistance and heat so the dust must melt and like a snow rolling it round it gets bigger the more it spins, sorry for crappy example

Also what cutting bits are you using to cut foam im using these they leave the depron with a nice cut edgehttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT. I tried other cutting bits bits but they left a rough jaggered edge, the link i gave to the cutting bit is for the 2mm i have cut depron, balsa and 3mm ply wood with it and it handles it fine i never even slowed the cutting rate down.
Last edited by brett1984; Jun 26, 2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: about cutting bits
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:28 AM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
joshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzao View Post
wow nice, great build.
but why is somebody hiding under the table in picture 0579? ^^
hi kuzao, that my kid joshua he's 3 i wanted him to have his picture taken with the boeing 747 but he was being shy
Last edited by brett1984; Jun 26, 2011 at 03:46 AM.