HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:51 PM
Rhys - Forever Learning
United Kingdom, Wales, Nelson
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Thanks guys

PS: Does anyone know of any suppliers of 5mm depron in the UK please?
rhysduk is offline Find More Posts by rhysduk
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2011, 06:16 PM
Born again modeller
United Kingdom, England, Durham
Joined Mar 2009
125 Posts
Mig 7E perfected

Sean,
I have built 2 Migs over the last month and have really struggled to trim them. One is for slope, the other I have electrified.
I had to move my Cof G so far forward of the 3" that you guys use.
Yesterday I decided to dedicate a whole day to trimming the Migs.
Every flight I had previously, I had to put a bucket full of down trim in during flight, followed by more nose weight before the next flight.
"Eureka". I packed out the leading edge with a bit of old fuel pipe, reducing the incidence by 1/16”.
First launch after that was a bit hairy, it wanted to join or brothers in Australia (forgot to take off the down trim...Oooops). Took an ounce out and it was almost perfect. Take out another ounce and pack it 1/4”- Spot on.
I am wondering if when you cut your wing seat in your build log, are you raising the trailing edge?
I have marked on my plan with a steal rule, the direct line between the leading and trailing edge points and used another rule lined up with the tail plane.(See pics).
I have now re-cut my wing seat and had a great days flying today. I have attached a link to a vid that was shot this afternoon of the electric one. Vid is a bit erratic and the slo-mo was a bit of an experiment but does show how great it does fly.

Mig 7E (3 min 12 sec)

You might notice a little more dihedral than on the plan, this I built in on the powered version to aid stability in the banks due to no rudder. Whether it helped or not, don’t know, but it holds its line and axel rolls like a dream.
Wind was probably about 15 Mph but the wrong direction today for sloping, but will video that one next time round. Despite the wind, the handling was very precise as can be seen around the 1 minute 20 second mark. I would not go anywhere near as low as that, in that wind at full throttle with any other model in my hanger.
Landing was an absolute dream as you will see. This plane is almost impossible to stall. Head on into wind with a dead stick and it came down like a feather. Love it.
Now plan on making a better and more refined one which will slope and power by just removing the prop and screwing a spinner to the nose.
simon16 is offline Find More Posts by simon16
Last edited by simon16; Mar 21, 2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:54 PM
What goes up must come down
South Africa, EC, Port Elizabeth
Joined Aug 2009
454 Posts
C of G

[QUOTE=simon16;17737701]Sean,
I have built 2 Migs over the last month and have really struggled to trim them. One is for slope, the other I have electrified.

Hi Simon;
Your Mig looks and fly’s great. Yes I also agree that this plane is almost impossible to stall. Wait till you get to the slope. You soon will find out how stable the Mig is. It can handle a wide range of conditions with no problem. Try some combat or even formation flying...great fun!
I use my one also as a camera carrier on the slope. You can see some videos here: http://correxmig.blogspot.com
Regarding the CG; I have built six Mig’s up to know; Slope and on for IC power. I always used the CG and wing seat straight as per plan and have not hat any problems.
Check you plan, maybe have it reprinted.
Sean is on a week’s break but maybe when he gets back he might have some idea on your GC issue. Any way; Welcome to the Mig world.
aimrah2000 is offline Find More Posts by aimrah2000
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:01 AM
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined May 2009
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysduk View Post
Having some problems printing this out with Acrobat.
Can anyone help please?

When i print it out it is not as shown on screen. I have a border around the edge where it should be flush to edge (borderless). Page SCaling is set to NONE and I have unticked AUTO ROTATE AND CENTER.

What am i missing?
The easiest way is to take the file to a print shop that has a large format printer and get them to print it for you on A0 paper, then you can also enlarge the plans if you want a larger plane. Increasing the size by approx 16% will give you a span of 1330mm
Fuzzy B is offline Find More Posts by Fuzzy B
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:02 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
890 Posts
Incidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Oelofse View Post
Howzit Rusty!
"neutral incidence" is good to go!
After flying one of my older Migs a while back, I was asked the same Q. I placed an incidence meter on to find it out about 3deg. It flew just great as is, so I left it. I have however payed a unny shape for sca;le...fse is more attention to it since.
Most times you have to lift the TE up.
General rule of thumb. Do not take a tape measure and incidence meter to a correx plane!
As Izak says...........LG@AL!!
The plans are a 'guide only' I think - no revisions since the first version.
There are typos, wrong spar thickness, scale span errors and the nose is a funny shape compared to the original...
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:05 AM
Closet Sloper
Australia, NSW, Gurley
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
Here's a question for Ulrich on his big mig did he have join his corflute on his wing to get the span he reached because corflute is 1200mm wide and his wing span is 3m.
(starting to get going on this build)

Thanks Adrian.
adrian222 is online now Find More Posts by adrian222
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:14 PM
I HAVE CONTROL ISSUES
Strand, Western Cape, South Africa
Joined Mar 2010
30 Posts
BIG Mig wing join

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannlochner View Post
No worries....
I have an electric one!

Heads into wind much better!
Hi Adrian

The Big Mig wing splits in the middle which overcame half the problem, but you still need 1500 mm. So I use the full 1200mm of correx sheet and join in an extra 350 mm strip before marking and cutting. I join the two pieces with x-ray paper. I glue the x-ray paper on what's gona be the inside of the wing.

Here is same pic, the join is marked with the red blocks. Sorry for the bad pic.

Enjoy building.
UlrichM is offline Find More Posts by UlrichM
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:23 PM
Closet Sloper
Australia, NSW, Gurley
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
Thanks Ulrich.

How is the join holding up sometimes they want to separate but x-ray paper seems to work alright, might have to find something equivalent because I never seen X-ray paper.

Adrian.
adrian222 is online now Find More Posts by adrian222
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:48 AM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,017 Posts
I found this vid from our previous build...
Wow,
It's more than a year ago!

Mixing it up (3 min 38 sec)
johannlochner is online now Find More Posts by johannlochner
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:38 PM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,035 Posts
nice, I recognize a wing and a fuzz
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:23 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Joined Oct 2006
3,581 Posts
Howzit Simon!
Thanx for the cool video clip!!....that slo-mo is great!
Glad you got the CG sorted!
I have always worked to the drawing or a tad forward.
Can you post some still pics of your Mig...all be it electric? I have flown mine in very strong winds....handles it very well!!...even got to fly backwards.
Well I maidened my Mig from Jims Build Group. Very uneventfull...as expected...straight and level no problem!
We had a few Migs there and Breton also maidened his from the build group....same story...straight out!! Well done Breton, your colors look grand in the air!!

Here are some stills.
Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:20 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Sean. I'm still blown away at how good you guys decorate up your Migs.

Awesome.
Mig Man is offline Find More Posts by Mig Man
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:06 AM
Joined Oct 2006
3,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig Man View Post
Sean. I'm still blown away at how good you guys decorate up your Migs.

Awesome.
Thanx MM!!
We did the scale thingy in the beginning, but soon realized Reno was far more exciting!!
All color is self adhesive vinyl!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:16 AM
What goes up must come down
South Africa, EC, Port Elizabeth
Joined Aug 2009
454 Posts
Big Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Oelofse View Post
Thanx MM!!
We did the scale thingy in the beginning, but soon realized Reno was far more exciting!!
All color is self adhesive vinyl!
Hey Sean:
I think a big “Thank You” is in order from all of us Maitland pilots. We are all enjoying the fantastic photos you take and post here on the forum.
It takes time, money and dedication to take and post the pics. We take it too much for granted that comes Monday there are pictures from the flying on the weekend for us to view on the blog and forums.
From me a big thank to you Sean. Much appreciated!!

Markus
aimrah2000 is offline Find More Posts by aimrah2000
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:20 AM
Joined Oct 2006
3,581 Posts
It gives me great pleasure Markus!!
You guys place the models where I need them!!