HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2003, 05:05 PM
Berkeley, CA USA
Joined Apr 2001
643 Posts
Junkyard Wars: Airplanes (Megawar)

Nobody saw this Sunday? (reairs Wed.) 3 teams built flying aircraft in 20 hours, one of which was a Bleriot. Period materials and tools (except for motor). They got to use heat shrink covering too, but it was still cloth.
Mighty Mik is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Mik
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2003, 05:12 PM
Powell, OH, USA
Joined Sep 2000
159 Posts
That was a good program. I thought for sure the French Bleriot would be the winner - looked like a big model airplane. It's the only one I would have climbed in to make a test flight. Disappointed it didn't fly as good as I expected.

I'm surprized the English bipe did so well, but it was one heck of a flyer, wasn't it?

Not surprized the USA entry had so many problems - was a complex airplane just looking for problems, particularly in such a short time alloted for building and testing.
radioflier is offline Find More Posts by radioflier
Old Mar 10, 2003, 05:31 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Glad to hear it'll re-air Wednesday. I usually watch Junkyard Wars, but somehow zoned and missed it. (Figures )
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Mar 10, 2003, 05:34 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
I saw it!

Damn that was good a good show. I was so excited that I forgot to tape it! Will do on Wednesday at 9PM (?)...

Yeah, the French plane was pretty, but wow, that British plane flew just like an ultralight... But what were those two things hanging down from the pilot seat?? Man that guy had... guts to take it up and around like that!

A great program, nearly every bit absolutely tasty... I highly recommend anyone interested in planes to watch it... oh yeah, thats everyone here, duh.

Cheers, and please excuse the inuendo
Far4nugn is offline Find More Posts by Far4nugn
Old Mar 10, 2003, 05:35 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,839 Posts
Is that the one where they take off down the side of a hill ?
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Old Mar 10, 2003, 05:37 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
Nope, it was a premier.. Three teams in the Mojave Desert
Old Mar 10, 2003, 05:39 PM
Joined Apr 2001
105 Posts
Did you notice that all of the participants were shown building RC models in the bios? I saw one of the British team members with a GWS powered Bipe model that looked suspiciously like the final full scale design.

I agree that the French team had the best design/build. I think they were being conservative with the flying, probably rightly so with an unproven design. Also after the first flight they had a split prop held together with string and glue! It looked to be a defect in the prop and I wouldn't have flown it at all with that repair. I don't know why they didn't give them a new prop or let them borrow one from another team!
I think they were very wise to fly conservatively. I would have flown in the French plane before any of the others.

The American design choice was a poor choice, I think history had shown the canard elevator design was not a good idea for the technology of the time.

From the looks of it I would guess they probably had more like a week to work on them with the multiple test flights for "safety" and waiting for the FAA inspection. Having been through the FAA inspection by a DAR two times for experimental planes, I am pretty sure they had heavy cooperation with the FAA, they didn't even have N numbers on them when they flew...

I wonder if anyone will try to build a model of some of these designs....all and all and interesting show.

Steve
steve262 is offline Find More Posts by steve262
Old Mar 10, 2003, 05:44 PM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,077 Posts
I swear, when the British bipe took off I jumped off the couch and cheered! I also thought that the Bleriot would fly nice, and was a bit disappointed when it just hopped around a bit. It was a great show. Now I wanna build and fly one of those.
(Not a chance - these things must be tough to fly.... )
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Mar 10, 2003, 06:37 PM
Oakdale, MN, USA
Joined Sep 2001
379 Posts
Great show, worth watching twice. . .

Why didn't that FAA rep groung the French plane after the split was noticed in the prop? What did those engines turn 5000 RPM?
They should have been given a new prop, no doubt about it.

The British plane looked suspiciously like some "ultralight" biplanes I have seen in "Kitplanes" magazine. This was a very sound design with a lot of positive attributes and it flew incredibly well. But don't you wonder (just a bit) at the confidence of the British pilot on his "test flight"? He simply went to full throttle and yanked it off the ground like he knew what was going to happen. It is one thing to do that to one of our planes, but something else when one is perched upon it!

IMHO, the American plane was the most dangerous of the three to actually fly. When you watch this show, pay particular attention to the second test flight, where you can actually see the port wing twist negative under the air loads and push the starboard wing high. The pilot, focused on events straight before him, could not see this, or he would NEVER EVER have gotten back on the damned thing!

Think of the premise for this show and the experiences of hundreds of pilots who have build homebuilt aircraft over the last forty or so years. They usually take hundreds, if not thousands, of hours to build FOR PROVEN DISIGNS. These three aircraft were supposedly built in just twenty hours. I can think of a bunch of R/C projects that took longer than that.

Regards,

Dale Case
Dale Case is offline Find More Posts by Dale Case
Old Mar 10, 2003, 06:47 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Re: Great show, worth watching twice. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale Case

IMHO, the American plane was the most dangerous of the three to actually fly. When you watch this show, pay particular attention to the second test flight, where you can actually see the port wing twist negative under the air loads and push the starboard wing high. The pilot, focused on events straight before him, could not see this, or he would NEVER EVER have gotten back on the damned thing!

Regards,

Dale Case
I wondered if they looked at the tape of the first attempt! That wing is POOR! It twisted AND buckled! Not a good thing.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2003, 07:25 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,044 Posts
Great show

I agree with ust about all the above comments. Does anybody know where I can get a 30 foot piece of EPP..... I am inspired to build 1:1 scale WW raider and go for a fly... HEHEHE

Here is a 7 minute video of how I fly now... Think I will do as well when I am in the 1:1 scale unit

http://www.jstelzer.com/arttools/flying%20movie.asf

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Mar 10, 2003, 07:31 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
Better save that EPP to wrap around the pilot
Old Mar 10, 2003, 09:53 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
The British plane was years ahead of the other two in aerodynamic refinement. An anachronism.
It resembled a 1920s home-built... or a 1990s...
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:15 PM
Shine On !
Northern Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,006 Posts
That was a good show. I'll probably watch it again wednesday.
I too, was surprised the French plane didn't perform as well. It was a beautiful design. It appeared to be full throttle, giving everything she had, though. Seemed to me the wing would have stalled if the pilot tried climbing much at all.
The american design did give them problems. I couldn't believe they didn't build the plane with the main wheels closer to the CG. That was why it wouldn't rotate. The small canard elevator had no authority to lever the plane skyward with the main gear so far aft. If the wheels could have been moved, they wouldn't have needed any extra weight. The wings were a non issue really. They were designed properly. The problem was with an under cambered design, they were exceeding the wings' designed ground speed at that angle of attack. This again was attributed to the plane no being able to rotate. A foward elevator plane is a pitch sensitive monster. Very tricky to fly I can imagine. You should see the wings flap on a Demoiselle as it taxis in the grass ! It's normal..but I wouldn't fly it !
The Brits' plane was amazing. I was certain the pilot was going to stall the wings with that radical AoA on climbout ! The thing just refused to stall ! He did seem suspiciously over confident for a test flight though.
I wouldn't mind having one of those motors they gave each team, that's for sure !
I do remember the episode with the gliders going down the hill. That was good to see as well.
AtomHeartMother is online now Find More Posts by AtomHeartMother
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:51 PM
Red
Santa Rosa, CA
Joined Apr 2002
896 Posts
Guys

This show was MUCH more scripted than TLC would like us to think! I saw several things that didn't add up. Like if they all had identical engines, it would make no sense for two of the teams to swap props for better performance like they did. Was it just coincedence that the US team managed to "find" a pusher prop when they needed one as the two others were tractors? Of course there was advqace knowlage of the designs. In a few of the close up shots you could see all of the nice hardware they were given too. Eyebolts, turnbuckles and the like. The teams obviously had prior knowlege of the task at hand.

Still an entertaining show though! Why did the US teams ailerons hang down until there was enough airspeed to hold them up? Seems like a not very positive control system. I was cringing after seeing the wing seriously deformed on the first run. There was no way that thing was going to rotate!

All in good fun
Red
Red is offline Find More Posts by Red