HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:27 AM
Joined Oct 2003
468 Posts
Discussion
71" DC3

Always wanted to fly a twin engined plane and one day while I was browsing the not so local hobby store I saw her there! A Protech Douglas DC3............on the way home with my new "twin" in the back of the Liberty I was thinking about the power train. The DC3 comes with 2 x 550 size brushed can motors. not my favorite motor. So............. I rang my friend Gary from WWW.rcozstyle.com and before I knew it I had a pair of PULSO KA36-28S brushless motors and a pair of PULSO 33A speedys. Ok, I got 2 x Hyperion 3300mAh 11.1v liops as well. We did a test on the motors and got about 200w per motor static. Should fly her ok Going to be painted in either Airlines Of South Australia or Trans Australian Airlines
I will keep you upto date on the build. Pics soon.
Cheers
bernoo is offline Find More Posts by bernoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:38 AM
No more Screamer
USA, MN, Eagle Lake
Joined Jan 2004
677 Posts
sounds cool ,, Git-er-done ,,
57_KID is offline Find More Posts by 57_KID
Old Apr 22, 2007, 03:12 AM
Joined Oct 2003
468 Posts
I have been having fun this week building the "Goony Bird" Removed the brushed motors then modified the engine mounts to accept the Brushless motors. Very straight forward process. Set up speedys inside nacels. Will make cooling holes at rear of nacels. wiring to centre of wing. HS81`s fitted to wings and connected to ailerons. Vertical fin and stabiliser fitted to fuse. Instructions call for small screws to fix, but I found this to flimsy so 12minute epoxy was used as well. Undercarriage is fixed and is also sprung for those hard landings which I wont have More to come. Keep ya all posted.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 03:17 AM
Joined Oct 2003
468 Posts
Did a test on the PULSO motors running 8x6 APC E props. Pulled about 270~280w @ 24A.........................per motor . Now on a 5 1/2 lb plane thats......vertical prop hang? Will have to prop down to 8x4 to drop amps. Considering 7x4 three blade props. Gary from WWW.rcozstyle.com has been a great help with motor choice for my project. Visit his site for great prices. ( small plug )
Last edited by bernoo; Apr 22, 2007 at 06:12 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:35 AM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,310 Posts
I've flown this exact DC-3 on two Park 480's on a 4s 4200 lipo. 610 watts out with 9x7 MA counter rotating 3 blade props. On the first flight LVC kicked in on approach and she stalled,spun and went in. Just be careful of your flight time,she flew great and didn't require a bunch of trim. Good luck
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:37 PM
gawler, South Australia
Joined Jul 2006
3,672 Posts
Hi Bernoo
I still think it is important to keep the weight down. and certainly with Mustangace's experience.
The target for amps is 16-17, with your 3300mah 3s, I believe you will get a good balance of power and weight.
At that setting I think you will make the most of the watts you have, try it and see, you can always bump it up if you think you need too.
rcozstyle is offline Find More Posts by rcozstyle
Last edited by rcozstyle; Apr 23, 2007 at 05:55 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:13 AM
Joined Oct 2003
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17
I've flown this exact DC-3 on two Park 480's on a 4s 4200 lipo. 610 watts out with 9x7 MA counter rotating 3 blade props. On the first flight LVC kicked in on approach and she stalled,spun and went in. Just be careful of your flight time,she flew great and didn't require a bunch of trim. Good luck

Thats not good MustangAce17. Can you repair her? Did you have trouble getting the C of G right? This plane is really tail heavy.

Cheers
Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:47 PM
lake orion mi
Joined Sep 2002
949 Posts
Well it will be even more tail heavy since you removed those lead filled brushed motors.Ask me how i know. O.K. I wil tell you since i have the same plane.Actually i think there are two versions of this plane.The original by.Velkom Models had a real scale tappered wing and then i saw some adds with a new version with a much larger albeit not scale looking wing tip.Anyhoo i switched to outrunners and it tip stalled on take off twice so far, not having the cg properly calculated.Can you show me a photo of your wing tip? Joe P,S I still plan to give ti another try with the outrunners and more lead in the nose
mistairjoe is offline Find More Posts by mistairjoe
Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:00 PM
Joined Oct 2003
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistairjoe
Well it will be even more tail heavy since you removed those lead filled brushed motors.Ask me how i know. O.K. I wil tell you since i have the same plane.Actually i think there are two versions of this plane.The original by.Velkom Models had a real scale tappered wing and then i saw some adds with a new version with a much larger albeit not scale looking wing tip.Anyhoo i switched to outrunners and it tip stalled on take off twice so far, not having the cg properly calculated.Can you show me a photo of your wing tip? Joe P,S I still plan to give ti another try with the outrunners and more lead in the nose

hello mistairjoe, pics of wingtips and completed construction. I will have to add about 10ozs to front of DC-3 to balance her

Cheers
Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:54 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,310 Posts
I had to add 16 ounces of lead after putting the battery in the stock location enlarged. I'm selling the DC-3 at SEFF as is for $75.00
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:27 AM
Joined Oct 2003
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17
I had to add 16 ounces of lead after putting the battery in the stock location enlarged. I'm selling the DC-3 at SEFF as is for $75.00
Hey $75 is good price but.......................the freight will kill me
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:33 AM
Joined Oct 2003
468 Posts
fitted a couple of APC 7x 5E props tonight. With fully charged battery I was pulling 400w @ 35A combined for both motors.. Added 10ozs of lead in the nose. Nearly ready for a test fly.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:08 PM
Venezuela
Joined Apr 2007
15 Posts
Hello Bernoo, nice plane. I want know if you used some down or rigth thrust in motors?
mocosaurio is offline Find More Posts by mocosaurio
Old Apr 25, 2007, 01:24 AM
Joined Oct 2003
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocosaurio
Hello Bernoo, nice plane. I want know if you used some down or rigth thrust in motors?
Did the maiden flight today. The little PULSO motors had ample power to fly the DC-3. Under full power she balooned up a lot so needs big mobs of down thrust which I did when I got home. Turns need rudder to look right. Now I have some Alieron / Rudder mixing so will test again Saturday. Had no sign of tip stalling and she was easy to land. It did bounce around with the wind though. I am using 1 x Hyperion 3300mAh lipo.
Keep ya posted

Cheers
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:22 AM
Joined Oct 2003
468 Posts
We have a funfly at our field http://www.concordemfc.com/index.html this weekend weather permiting. I decided to throw on some paint. Not quite true to scale but neither is the DC3