Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:36 AM
Joined Mar 2009
15 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing Mini DLG 950mm

Ive been wanting to get a dlg for a while now, but didnt want to fork out the $470 for the blaster 3. Then I came across the mini dlg from hobbyking. Did some research and read some reviews and didnt sound like too bad of a dlg. For the price I decided to get it.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

$106 shipped to my door. I was surprised with the shipping speed. It was in the USA warehouse but in the past it would still take over a week to get my stuff. I received it less than 5 business days. It was very well packed and wrapped in protective foam.

The first thing I decided to do was glass the inside of the pod. After some reviews it seemed like a good idea. I took the wooden former out and sanded the pod with 500 grit sand paper. I used a very very thin layer or 15 min epoxy and an ultralight fiberglass cloth. After trimming it up, I glued in the former with some ca. Then I proceeded to go over the rest of the wood formers and screw holes with the thin ca.

I re-installed the servos and debated on switching them out to a couple Dymond 4.7s but decided to see how these will perform first. I went with n AR400X rx and removed the case. I also used a castle BEC and shortened the leads. I wanted to run a 2s setup and use my foamie batteries but turns out they are too big. I used it for setup and will get a small E-Flite 200mah battery from the LHS today.

This was probably the easiest airplane Ive ever built, since there is nothing to it. I will check the CG when I get the new battery tonight and hopefully get a flight in. Only other thing I think Ill do is put a little splash of color on the wing tips.
3DCrazy516 is offline Find More Posts by 3DCrazy516
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:25 PM
In EPP I Trust...
Issaquah, Washington, United States
Joined Jan 2004
223 Posts
Great tips and photos! I've got my own HK Mini DLG on the way.

I accidentally ordered mine from China (this was my first order EVER from HobbyKing, so I didn't really know what I was doing). I ended up paying about $35 more than you did for the same glider.

Oh well: live and learn. :facepalm:

I don't have any experience glassing, so that's probably not in the works for me. Instead, I've been focusing on getting the lightest gear possible for my Mini DLG. I'm going with a 2S LIPO setup, initial with a 10-gram CC BEC and eventually direct to a Berg 4L and a pair of 9-volt Dymond D4.7 servos.

Please give updates once you taken yours out for a spin.

Good choice, BTW! (Brilliant minds think alike!)
Armchair Bronco is offline Find More Posts by Armchair Bronco
Old Sep 20, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Mar 2009
15 Posts
Well I got a 2s 200mah e-flite battery that I put a jst connector on to finish up the plane. I also threw a little bit of paint on the tips using createx paint. I went out today and threw until my arm hurt. I have about 2 hours on it now. It was extremely windy out today so most of my flights were under a minute and the longest almost 2 mins. It flew very well in the conditions. Cant wait to see what it will do on a calm day.

Only problem I had was after I was done flying, my wing was loose and I went to tighten it and it kept getting tighter and tighter. Took the wing off and saw the tube was cracked. I removed the mount and wicked a little thin ca in there and put it back together.

Took it to work to get a final weight on it and came in at 137g. Only 7g over the recommended flying weight of 130g after paint and glassing the pod.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:19 PM
In EPP I Trust...
Joined Jan 2004
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DCrazy516 View Post
Well I got a 2s 200mah e-flite battery that I put a jst connector on to finish up the plane. I also threw a little bit of paint on the tips using createx paint. I went out today and threw until my arm hurt. I have about 2 hours on it now. It was extremely windy out today so most of my flights were under a minute and the longest almost 2 mins. It flew very well in the conditions. Cant wait to see what it will do on a calm day.

Only problem I had was after I was done flying, my wing was loose and I went to tighten it and it kept getting tighter and tighter. Took the wing off and saw the tube was cracked. I removed the mount and wicked a little thin ca in there and put it back together.

Took it to work to get a final weight on it and came in at 137g. Only 7g over the recommended flying weight of 130g after paint and glassing the pod.
Nice! Can you give more details about how you applied the paint? Is this spray paint or was it applied with a brush? How did you prep the surface and mask things off? It looks really nice and I'd like to do something similar to mine.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Mar 2009
15 Posts
I use an airbrush. I have a badger 150 and used createx paint. Createx is a water based paint that I use on all my foamies. Anything I paint I clan the surface with rubbing acohol to get any dirt and oil from my hands. Then I use a low adhesive tape to mask it out. Last I use a clear to help protect it from wearing off. I think once it wears off enough to bother me ill use that ultra light cover rite covering to redo it.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:10 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Sep 2013
82 Posts
Are these thing actually any good? I have heard the pods break REALLY easily, but is there anything else you guys would like improving? The quality seems questionable at 97 bucks.
Bluebox is offline Find More Posts by Bluebox
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:37 PM
In EPP I Trust...
Joined Jan 2004
223 Posts
Well, I still haven't received mine so the jury is still out. However, I think the consensus opinion is that this DLG is a great way to get started with the hobby at a modest cost. I think the hundred dollar price point is actually a good value, especially considering that the kit comes with two servos.

Here's a great YouTube video of the HobbyKing Mini DLG. Looks like a lot of fun to me!

Hobbyking Mini DLG Composite Discus Launch Glider 950mm (6 min 37 sec)
Last edited by Armchair Bronco; Sep 20, 2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:17 AM
Joined Mar 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebox View Post
Are these thing actually any good? I have heard the pods break REALLY easily, but is there anything else you guys would like improving? The quality seems questionable at 97 bucks.
I too was leery on the quality of the kit. After the reviews I've read I decided to give it a shot because of the cheap price. I went ahead and glassed the pod and haven't had any issues yet. Time will tell if it will hold up. The only other quality issue I ran into so far was the boom cracking. Once again a quick fix, and stronger than before. I've had giant scale planes from reputable companies I paid big money for that I've had to do more work on as far as quality and hardware are concerned. So for the value I have no complaints thus far. Any airplane will have its weaknesses I fell its just a manor of proper maintenance and good preflight and post flight checks to make your planes last.
Old Jan 08, 2014, 03:05 PM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
374 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I can't find the answer elsewhere.

Do you have to use a rudder pre-set on launch, or are the servos strong enough that you don't need one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2014, 09:53 AM
Professional Monkey Herder
Joined Jan 2014
61 Posts
This is an awesome plane for a beginner, still learning how to launch mine, and I've only flown it a few times in the winter no less, but by spring when there are thermals I think I'll have my launch technique improved!

Until then I thought I'd have some fun with my Mobius wide angle camera

Discus Style (3 min 33 sec)
FPV Monkey is offline Find More Posts by FPV Monkey
Old Mar 06, 2014, 10:50 PM
Joined Mar 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall_l View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I can't find the answer elsewhere.

Do you have to use a rudder pre-set on launch, or are the servos strong enough that you don't need one?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!
Randall

Sorry I haven't viewed this in a while. But no I do not have one setup. The servos are ok they are not the greatest by any means. I've actually switched them out to Dymond 4.7s. There was a little improvement but mine still hooks at the top.

FPV Monkey nice video! Now that I'm in the desert I've been getting some good flights and catching some thermals.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:47 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,084 Posts
No presets needed. Stock servos run on 1s voltage, albeit slower.

Balance point should be just aft of middle point between support posts. I have some video of launches, but cannot access form work. If you are interested - go to vimeo.com and search my user name - or look in my blog section.

Have fun
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Mar 07, 2014, 06:52 PM
Just here for the pie.
Canada, BC, Ashcroft
Joined Jun 2011
374 Posts
Thanks for the responses Jim and 3DCrazy.

Cheers!
Randall
randall_l is offline Find More Posts by randall_l
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:07 PM
Joined Mar 2009
15 Posts
Update on this plane. Turns out glassing the pod was a great idea. Battery lead broke off the battery after a launch and did a nice rainbow into the ground. Amazingly I did not break the pod just the wooded dowels where the top latches to the bottom. Which was an easy fix. Other than that just a lot of wear on the vertical stabilizer. My fix to that was taking a 3mm x .5mm flat carbon strip and split it in half (.25mm) roughly and formed it to the bottom of the vertical stabilizer for a good skid. If I get a chance I'll try and post some pictures later.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 08:47 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,084 Posts
Aha, I just re-read my post. Let me clarify the NO PRESETS message.

When balanced correctly, there is no need for elevator preset. If your plane is ballooning nose up on launch, then you have the c/g too far forward and not only is your launch suffering - but your glide is, too. Nose heavy will require "up" trim to hold the nose up - that means added drag and less difference between control speed and stall speed. This is the main reason that people think planes "tip" stall, IMHO. They are just above stall speed in cruise, then they add drag to turn the plane and suddenly they have stalled during a turning move. Stall, wing drop and spin into the ground.

I found that my launches did not need rudder preset. The plane should track straight from launch, immediately. If you hook the launch, it is your release rather than a deficit in the design of this plane.

Fly one for me
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM