HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What style of Turnigy 1/16 vehicle do you prefer?
Rally Extreme 30 37.97%
Mini Trooper 27 34.18%
Racing Buggy 22 27.85%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:18 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2005
650 Posts
Ha ha! GoPro Hero 3 for my DJI Flamewheel 450 on the way!
RC Helis, Multirotors, and now cars...Why do I do this to myself? SMH...

I think I'll do the FPV setup as described on this thread as well.
balbs is online now Find More Posts by balbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
The biggest limitation on the stock ESC is that it is not programmable, this not only limits the tuning, but some say that the LVC is set too low and damages your lipo. Also it literally falls apart after a while, and it gets quite warm too.

Which upgrade parts have you ordered?
Get a lipo alarm and forget about LVC.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...age_alarm.html
Bugbitten is online now Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:06 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,049 Posts
Would the EZrun 35 A be a candidate? I have it in my LC Racing EMB buggy, and even with no direct air flow it stays cool, and has smooth control. And it's very programmable.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:10 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2005
650 Posts
This just came to my work...Woo Hoo!!!
balbs is online now Find More Posts by balbs
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:16 AM
Joined Jun 2013
95 Posts
Quote:
Nice plan, but I have no idea which 1/10th wheels would be best suited for it. Acherwin is working on a similar project, maybe he can chime in here
I just bought (for a start) one of the nice looking 1/10 wheels at hobby king.
The challenge is to get a good 12mm hex w/ 3mm bore! I found one and waiting for it to be delivered. I mentioned it in one of my posts here. Make sure to get this or similar 12mm hex conversion when you buy the 1/10 wheels.

Edit: this are the 12mm hex hub conversion that I bought but I have not yet tested -- http://www.asiatees.com/ask?descript...location=index

p.s. the 12mm aluminum hex hubs from hobbyking is not compatible with the mini-trooper (found about it the hard way :P)
archerwin is offline Find More Posts by archerwin
Last edited by archerwin; Sep 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:19 AM
Joined Jun 2013
95 Posts
Quote:
So I have shimmed my front suspension geometry now too. It is fantastic now with very little slop. On the front upper arms I pulled out the plastic balls and added the aluminium balls because over time the plastic ones wear down and become loose. I also added some sponge in between the ball and the cup to remove some more slop. Finally I added 2 washers and a piece of rubber that I cut out to where the upper arms connect to the C-hubs.

Opps I nearly forgot, I glued in the plastic sleeves too to remove the play from there as well.
where did you get the aluminum hollow balls?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:26 AM
Joined Jun 2013
95 Posts
Is this still installed on your mini trooper, the one which ate 2 metal spur gears?
or was this installed after your spurs got eaten? Just a thought... maybe the rubber "washers" flex during running causing the spur gear to "wobble" and get damaged? Even if the gears are perfectly mesh at the start, during high speed, a small wobble can do horrible damage.

Since fixing the mounting of my spur gear and learning how to properly mesh, my plastic spur gear has survived a couple of packs already (close to 10 2s packs).

just trying to help you rootcause your spur gear problem

Quote:
On the adjustment side of things run it around a few times first then check out my tuning guide on the first page, then set the car to your taste, ie. more or less under steer/over steer.

However before racing you should do my slipper mod, just use some reasonably thick inner tube rubber to make 2 rubber washes to replace the stock concave steel washes. This will make the slipper clutch respond better and much easier to set. When setting the slipper you want the slipper clutch so squeal for around 1 second or less when you punch the throttle from a standstill on a paved surface (road, parking lot, driveway, footpath, etc).

Also be sure to check and set the gear mesh, just search youtube for a how-to guide.

Old Sep 12, 2013, 02:51 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archerwin View Post
where did you get the aluminum hollow balls?
They are the ones used for the rear ball ends: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...137&aff=720654

Quote:
Is this still installed on your mini trooper, the one which ate 2 metal spur gears?
or was this installed after your spurs got eaten? Just a thought... maybe the rubber "washers" flex during running causing the spur gear to "wobble" and get damaged? Even if the gears are perfectly mesh at the start, during high speed, a small wobble can do horrible damage.

Since fixing the mounting of my spur gear and learning how to properly mesh, my plastic spur gear has survived a couple of packs already (close to 10 2s packs).

just trying to help you rootcause your spur gear problem
One metal spur was eaten with the factory setup on the first lipo pack. After the mod I got through 2x 2s packs and 2x 3s packs, it was on the 3rd 3s pack when my setup ate the 2nd metal spur (albeit on the 3rd 3s pack I maxed out my motor timing to get more speed)

I can't work it out for the life of me The only thing I can think of is the spur shaft not being straight, but I checked that and it seems pretty good. Or maybe, I used the same brand of pinion both times the metal spurs got chewed up, the pinions were like $15 each so I'd expect them to be true to size, but maybe that's the problem.

As my last resort I have bought a stock spec'd 2040 motor and some stock pinions to try again. Well I bought 2 of them actually, I'm hoping that 2 motors, 2 spurs, and 2 slippers will eliminate the problem for good, while still making more power than the stock setup (touch wood).
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Sep 12, 2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:04 AM
Joined Nov 2012
100 Posts
Quote:
I just bought (for a start) one of the nice looking 1/10 wheels at hobby king.
The challenge is to get a good 12mm hex w/ 3mm bore! I found one and waiting for it to be delivered. I mentioned it in one of my posts here. Make sure to get this or similar 12mm hex conversion when you buy the 1/10 wheels.

Edit: this are the 12mm hex hub conversion that I bought but I have not yet tested -- http://www.asiatees.com/ask?descript...location=index

p.s. the 12mm aluminum hex hubs from hobbyking is not compatible with the mini-trooper (found about it the hard way :P)
to archerwin,
kindly give us an update if you succeeded to install the 1/10 tires
what are the parts that you order that are sure will be utilized? i want to follow your upgrade
suggestions? part list link?
thanks
dRCcaptain is offline Find More Posts by dRCcaptain
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:10 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dRCcaptain View Post
suggestions? part list link?
There's a link for a different set of adapters under the "spare parts & upgrade" section on the first page. They are towards the bottom of the "compatible kyosho upgrade parts" and they are made by 3Racing

Despite looking funky, they do the same job as a normal 12mm hex, and they are made for the Mini Inferno so they will fit the Turnigy 1/16 wheel axels
Old Sep 12, 2013, 05:59 AM
Joined Nov 2012
100 Posts
Quote:
There's a link for a different set of adapters under the "spare parts & upgrade" section on the first page. They are towards the bottom of the "compatible kyosho upgrade parts" and they are made by 3Racing

Despite looking funky, they do the same job as a normal 12mm hex, and they are made for the Mini Inferno so they will fit the Turnigy 1/16 wheel axels

according to comments on HK forum, 12mm x 4mm hex hub adaptor will fit the wheeldrive and a standard 12hex 1/10 wheel
but i'm not sure if this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Blue_4PC_.html has 4mm inner hole to fit the wheel drive.
i will try to read more about this part or better order it to try
this is the tires i would like on my mini trooper
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25074
or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25072
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:17 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dRCcaptain View Post
according to comments on HK forum, 12mm x 4mm hex hub adaptor will fit the wheeldrive and a standard 12hex 1/10 wheel
but i'm not sure if this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Blue_4PC_.html has 4mm inner hole to fit the wheel drive.
i will try to read more about this part or better order it to try
this is the tires i would like on my mini trooper
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25074
or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25072
I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you guys wanting to add 1/10th wheels, but the majority of off road wheel and tire combos won't fit, even with proper hexes.

The stock wheel combo has an outer diameter of 65mm and a width of around 27mm.

The problem is if you get wheels/tires exceeding an absolute maximum of 80mm they will rub on the chassis when turning, and if they exceed a width of 27mm they will interfere with the body.

So for 1/10 wheels/tires you are really limited to on road combos only. Unless you widen the track and cut up the body
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:36 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Traxxas 1/16 wheels/tires should fit with a 12mm hex, but they might be a little too wide: http://www.google.de/imgres?client=f...r:10,s:0,i:112

LOSI 1/16 wheels might fit as well. I think these have built in hexes so you just need the pins to fit them. Here is the spare parts page scroll down to the wheels: http://www.losi.com/Products/Related...g&SubCategory=

Also the LOSI mini rock crawler tires could very well be a good candidate too. I know they use a 12mm hex but I can't find the dimensions
Last edited by valiantGLX; Sep 12, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:40 AM
Joined Nov 2012
100 Posts
Quote:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you guys wanting to add 1/10th wheels, but the majority of off road wheel and tire combos won't fit, even with proper hexes.

The stock wheel combo has an outer diameter of 65mm and a width of around 27mm.

The problem is if you get wheels/tires exceeding an absolute maximum of 80mm they will rub on the chassis when turning, and if they exceed a width of 27mm they will interfere with the body.

So for 1/10 wheels/tires you are really limited to on road combos only. Unless you widen the track and cut up the body
i did not think of that...
anyhow its my 1st truck and waiting for it to arrive...
HK should at least give a huge discount when you purchase from them...
you are like a customer support service...great job bro
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:02 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
So my kid hit the card pretty hard yesterday and the part below has entered the land of grass. Anywhere locally I can find something that will fit it.
livinma1 is online now Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member