Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Question
Using 808 #16 as security camera

I want to set up a couple 808 #16s as security cameras around my house. I've already read up on making waterproof enclosures and downloaded the GUI. I want to use the motion-sensing function and hook them up to some sort of DVR or maybe an old PC I have sitting around.

So (forgive my noob ideas) the way I see it, I can do one of several things:

1- hook up the 808s to a PC with some kind of software to use as the editing/viewing and have it save on a HDD in a loop.
2- hook up the 808s to a DVR and view the video on a PC or TV... but I can't think of any DVR with USB inputs
3- Let the 808s loop themselves... which would limit me to 10 hours (32g card) and require a 5v USB power source... and require that I access the camera/card to extract the video. This also removes the ability to view real-time or on the web.

-Any PC software you recommend to make a PC into a DVR?
-Is it possible to have this system work without a PC?
-Are there any 808 hacks for Infrared?
-In one of the 808 threads it talks about external USB battery packs.... why not just a USB Mini wall charger from, say, an old phone? I have a few hundred in a box somewhere.
curtis73 is offline Find More Posts by curtis73
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:46 PM
dexplorer
Hungary, Budapest
Joined Nov 2012
143 Posts
Basically I'm planning on doing the same thing. First of all: you don't need usb input for the 808 #16, THE advantage of the #16 is, that you can use an A/V-cable to feed live video stream to any recorder with AV input. just need to solder your own AV-mini usb adapter or get one off ebay....
Another idea for continuous recording using the internal sd card: from #16 upwards I think there's a driving recorder function where the cam records continually and deletes the oldest files when the card is full. So if you just use it for surveillance it's easily possible to always have the latest few hours of video material at hand and you probably will notice after someone broke in and then you are able to look up who it was.
You could also decrease the video quality in the gui or with a settings.txt to increase recording time. Wouldn't want to see that burglar's pimples any way....
In case you didn't do it already, read up on chucklohr.com. Everything you need to know about 808s is there....
And as for the recording on pc I'd recommend vlc media player...don't know for windows but on linux you can use it as a stream recorder. Surely works on win, too, though.
zidlov is offline Find More Posts by zidlov