Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:39 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
902 Posts
Hey Scouse, have you tried Giantshark before? http://www.giantshark.co.uk/
They dont really have much micro stuff but there cheap They really killed my ordering stuff from china addiction, next day delivery is so much better
They sell a GWS clone 5030 or 5045 which I used with the PZ gearbox

I also order from robotbirds who have the legit GWS props & lots of micro stuff.
http://www.robotbirds.com/

Both places I have been really happy with, I order a lot from giantshark & been to robotbirds a couple of times to collect from them, nice guys, there are a few of them there with a decent operation going on.
limmacslim is offline Find More Posts by limmacslim
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My first little Multiwii quad
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:42 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
I used to order a lot from Cod but not so much anymore , robotbirds i had issues with and wouldnt touch with a barge pole after my last dealings with them.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:59 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
902 Posts
Ahh ok lol. Between the two of them they have been taking all my money normally allocated to china, although banggood has been making a slow comeback.

Not had any issues as of yet with robotbirds & normally collect from them because they are close by. I had a bad motor replaced by GS instantly & ordered a fair bit from them with no other problems so been really happy. It has to be better than ordering from China & dealing with seasonal timescales on issues & things that dont arrive etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:32 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Ill grab some props from GS , just need to sort a prop saver to go with them lol
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:36 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
902 Posts
Have you looked at the NE props? they come with a clip on plastic propsaver that fits on that gear shaft, there quite handy but expensive really & no good for swapping props at the field because I have to hot glue the GWS props onto the hub (which is 4mm), not pretty but works.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:58 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,631 Posts
I ordered a few of the NE props from, HK for my NE Sky Eagle Cessna, I'm really tempted to build myself a V911 brick plane and use a S032 main motor (same motor as my NE Cessna but on correct voltage) I may need to upgrade the FET for that application though.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:17 PM
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
247 Posts
For props weight is more crucial than pitch n size... atm I m running a 6to4 prop with brute 50gms of thrust. motor doesnt get too hot at wot(4:1 gearbox), but it weights only 0,5 gms. some 6:3 , 5:3 , 5:4 dont really work(motor gets really hot), but they all are >2gms. Best prop is a kavan slowfly 5:4, but its eye is too big (5mm),. gws 5:43 is good too, 5:3 gws is a good way to start, and on it goes in trial and error.......
borkencorter is offline Find More Posts by borkencorter
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:50 AM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,412 Posts
Somebody mentioned mcx bricks many messages back. I've picked up a number of mcx2 parts bricks and now I'm wondering if I can use the brick (and it's gyros) to my advantage.

The mxc2 is a coax helicopter (for those that don't know). So the brick contains two motor drivers linked to the rudder channel and gyro stabilization. It also has two linear servos (aileron, elevator).

It would make sense to use the two motors on left/right wing positions in it's original design as rudder control. The thing is the board would have to be mounted vertically as it was in the original heli making the linear servos useless (or at least very inconvenient). Besides, gyro stabilized rudder seems like a waste in an airplane anyway.

So I thought, why not lay the board flat like any other brick, and use the gyro to assist in aileron stabilizing (much more useful). It would be like flying the helicopter on it's side and the rudder channel would actually work as an aileron control (leaving the two linear servos for elevator and rudder). The drive motors could be set up in a push/pull format along the center line axis. Would prop torque be enough to hold the wings level?

Come to think of it, the mxc2 frame could be hacked and re-used to turn the shaft in shaft coax drive directly into a prop on prop contra-rotating blades setup (that would be very cool!)

Or, how about a Vought V-173 flying pancake? Would that work? The drive motors would not only be applying a torque force, but they'd also be messing with the forward thrust. Say the gyro acts so the lower wing gets more forward thrust (and more torque correction). Can that kind of automatic correction keep the plane flying level, or would it just end up wagging it all over the place?

I'm just about ready to start cutting up foam to try some of these ideas, but I'd really like to hear what people think about using the built in gyro as part of flight control.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:37 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
847 Posts
ruzam,

The tricky bit, as I see it, will be living with the fixed gain of the Brick gyro and balancing the resulting torque response with the plane's stability as designed. Could take quite a bit of trial and error; however this could be enjoyable time spent.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Mar 25, 2013, 07:14 AM
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
247 Posts
As mentioned before, I tried several times to use the gyro, two motors from a coax, to get a flying plane. I still believe its possible, but my try s didnt work out.... no matter how and where I place the motors and position the brick, a little gust normally causes a crash. best i got was a plane flying forward in right circles. I think its a try n error thing, as there are working planes with a rudder gyro, it should work somehow. biggest problem is on most coaxes the gyro just affects ONE motor, not both. If the the s032 s gyro really controls both motors , it should work quite easy. It is possible to build a self stabilising 2channel plane with a v939 rx, already flew. but to upgrade with a v911rx doesnt work, cause the rudder and the gyro work against each other...

I m really sorry that my explenations are really short and in an english of doubtfull
quality..... but i m a real lazy fokker and my english has become rusty over the years of not using it
borkencorter is offline Find More Posts by borkencorter
Last edited by borkencorter; Nov 12, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:39 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
902 Posts
Disabling the gyro does also work well.
As Borkencorter mentioned the V911 board also only has differential thrust that affects the tail motor output, the main motor always stays at the main throttle speed.

V911 PCB with gyro disabled (0 min 37 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:52 AM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,412 Posts
I see what you did there. Cool! How does it fly?

Did you 'need' to disable the gyro? Oh wait, the board is mounted flat. I guess that answers my question. Too bad all that complex gyro circuitry can't be taken advantage of.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:34 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
902 Posts
I did intend on having a go at using the gyro but borkencorters comments earlier in this thread discouraged me a bit so I reverted to my original plan of disabling it. It was also as you correctly guessed to do with me wanting to mount it flat.

It flies across my living room its still too tight of a space to fly it in circles, I used epp this time so I could have a try lol.
Its been too windy here to test it outdoors & I have to convince my flying buddy to go to the little park instead of the big playing field as among others our flysky gear does not work at the field due to bad interference.
I just put 2x banggood 7mm quad motors on it but am not really that impressed with them, they seem quite low kv.
This twin motor setup has always seemed pretty slow, I think the best setup I have used with one of these bricks is a geared (good quality) 8.5mm motor with 5" prop.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:03 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
902 Posts
My T50 collection has grown aswell, I tried out a similar twin motor (but mid mounted) setup on a larger 30" version with a couple of rewound 3000kv blue wonder motors pushing something like 450w in total.
This one flies great at my local field on frsky gear so it has been getting more attention if im honest. After messing with the different sizes I figured the T50 has huge authority in almost every situation but is a very docile flier in general, the middle sized one practically will not stall & is always controllable, one of those aircraft that dont want to crash.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:13 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,412 Posts
Flying weights? Plans?

I'm always looking for something new for the indoor flying (school gym). 1S size preferably. If it's quick and easy, all the better.