HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:41 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
The real Laser has a star on it in some photos and another design in others. I used a star from the kit decals on the wheel pants, but for the next one I am going to ask B and E Graphix to make one up out of vinyl for me.

I'm also going to try the MXS fiberglass wingtips on this Laser. I just have to get a set and paint them red.
I have asset from my RWB MXS and will never use them. Your more than welcome to them. Just PM me your mailing address and I'll send them down. That is if I can find where I put them, I just recently moved all my stuff from the basement to the spare bedroom upstairs and am still looking for stuff.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:30 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,577 Posts
Quote:

I'm also going to try the MXS fiberglass wingtips on this Laser. I just have to get a set and paint them red.
Interesting idea.. Let us know how that works. When I flew the 60" Laser yjr toll was way too fast for my comfort zone. I have been flying the Edge and not the Extra so this was new to me. But it might be nice to be able to slow it down a bit....
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
How can we stop winter?
Frederick, CO
Joined Sep 2005
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
I cannot wait to get my graphics tomorrow.... when I get done I will post them up.

They are Top Secret for now.
Cool! Looking forward seeing the finished product!
flyinhigh025 is offline Find More Posts by flyinhigh025
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:17 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Interesting idea.. Let us know how that works.
I wasn't expecting them to make that big of a difference on the 48s because I tried them two years ago on my original MXS. At the time I thought they made the plane tippy on the ailerons, but that's not the case at all. I must have really been off my game that day, but remember, that was right after a heart attack too. I was all messed up.

I gave them another chance after I saw what they did on the big MXS. I didn't like them on that plane because it tamed it down too much for my tastes. Still, they looked so awesome that I wanted to make them work, and I was hoping the effect would not be as pronounced on the 48s.

The most obvious change is the roll rate slows down. This is ok because I don't go around with the stick pegged over anyway, and it is still so fast that I can't keep up with it at full deflection for more than two or three rotations. Also, the timing changes on snap manuevers and pop tops become very lazy.

The improvement is in high speed stability. the tips seem to really lock the plane in and precision work is greatly improved. Slow and point rolls become much more solid and precise, especially now that I am getting used to using my low rate. KE flight seem unaffected and it seems that harrier and elevator maneuvers may be a little better, but it's not enough that it jumps out at you. Some of it may also be psychological too, which is why I am going to make this an extended test and leave them on my blue Extra for awhile.

KE spin changes a little. It will throw the tail over the nose about the same as before, but you have to be a little more careful on entry, and it doesn't just drop in effortlessly like it does without the tips.

Quote:
When I flew the 60" Laser roll rate was way too fast for my comfort zone. I have been flying the Edge and not the Extra so this was new to me.
I had the advantage of getting my 60" Extra after Ducati Tim had flown his, and he warned me that the ailerons were super quick. I still ended up cutting them back, but have since gone back to about 33 degrees of travel, and it's pretty quick.

You can dial the throw out with your endpoints or rates,which is what I did in the beginning. Now I have my end points maxxed out (using the second largest Dubro arm and the second hole from the outside) and it's about pefect.

I've come to love the big Extra just the way it is and I wouldn't change it, but if you want to slow the roll a bit, the tips will definately do that. As precise and groovy as the big Extra already is, the tips ought to make it downright spookey smooth to fly.

I did like the tips on the big MXS, but it turned it into more of a 3D trainer, which is not what I wanted from an MXS. They sure look cool though, anhd they don't seem to make a difference on Daniel's plane. Imagine that!

I think the big Edge is so stable that the Extra is just a little different for you, and if you stick with it you'll adapt to it. However, turn the throw back until you are comfortable with it. That, or try the tips.

Quote:
But it might be nice to be able to slow it down a bit....
ExtremeFlight probably has them in stock now. I can't imagine they could be cheap because the things are beautifully built. They are ribbed and sheeted, and then covered in genuine Ultrakote. It would take me a minimum of an hour to cover one of those things, and even then it wouldn't be half as good as those little old chinese ladies did with their giant clothing irons!

///////////////////////////

I'm taking the new Laser and my big Extra out later today. I'll try the big MXS tips on the Extra and report back later tonight.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:56 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,381 Posts
Technically my new Laser took on half of a click of up trim. It was almost perfect but one notch of down trim was a little too much. I landed and turned my trim steps from 4 down to 2, and with one notch it was dead nuts. Later I had to take it out when I moved the battery, which is now all the way back. Thisd was exactly like my first Laser came out!

Something I did not notice on my first Laser... or maybe it wasn't this way.... Is that the fiberglas tube in thefuselage that holds the carbon tube has been replaced with thick plastic, and so have the first few inches of the tube in the wings. Plastic won't compress over time nearly as badly as soft fiberglas, so the wings will stay squeaky tight for much longer. On this plane I have to wiggle the wing to get it started when I take it off.

Man, I am so glad to have another Laser. I was only out of one for about three days but it drove me crazy. No one has touched this one except me, so I have an emmense sense of satisfaction that I finally (after 35 years) got my Laser and I put it together completely by myself. Finally I get to represent Extreme Flight when I fly it, so I have now achieved all my goals from when I started flying again in 2006.

I'm pretty happy today.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Oct 11, 2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:58 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,864 Posts
Congrats!! Fun and Fellowship is what it is all about
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:41 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,381 Posts
Hey, wasn't yours supposed to be done by now?
Last edited by Doc Austin; Oct 14, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:46 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,340 Posts
Hey Doc, you're making me all teary eyed.

Regarding the plastic tube...that was for guidance I thought.

On my 60" Extra, before I made an unscheduled inverted landing in the swamp, the fiberglass tube was getting mushy. I just put some finishing epoxy on it...not too much, didn't want it to get through, but enough. It seemed to help.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:55 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post

Regarding the plastic tube...that was for guidance I thought.
Yeah, I just didn't know what to call it.

Theoretically it's only for guidance, but the plastic is so much stronger than tin, flimsy fiberglass that it's got to help make the fuselage stronger in that area. I think it's just got to stiffen up that whole area, even if it's just a little, and that makes for a truer flying plane.

The plastic tubes in the wing is probably going to be what helps the most. As long as those won't compress from the stress the wings are going to stay really tight, and that's going to make for a better flying airplane.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:43 AM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,342 Posts
It's called a outer wing tube doc.

The thick plastic one holds it shape better than the thin Fiberglass one..
Ducati Mechanic is online now Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Sep 2003
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Hey, wasn't yours supposed to be done by now?
Nope, I still have two servos to get back from Hitec. They just checked them in yesterday so this weekend is out... I am going to work on it a little today though.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic
It's called a outer wing tube doc.
Duh. I knew that. I just couldn't pull it out of my brain.

Dude, your quote button is greyed out.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,864 Posts
what is the length of the motor to the face of the prop hub? to the back of the X mount...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:11 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
what is the length of the motor to the face of the prop hub? to the back of the X mount...
Don't you have a motor yet?

I'm still curious about your decal package.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,864 Posts
hehehe, I have a Moltrolfly that is 50mm or so from the back of the X mount to the prop hub. I am wondering if I need spacers or not.