HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:09 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,249 Posts
i flew on 3s and 4s today for my first flights. 4s 2200 admiral gave me a little more forward cg but not much. i think she's borderline tailheavy. one retract wouldn't work unless i had throttle at 0 in a glide. funny really. nice plane!

on 3s i can see why guys want more speed but man flight times are sweet. i flew 2200 and 2600 3s packs and was getting around 8 to 9 minutes, this is while slow flying for photos.

4s flight time was good as well. def needs ventilation.

thanks guys for all of the advise
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ryramZ; Jul 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:19 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
i flew on 3s and 4s today for my first flights. 4s 2200 admiral gave me a little more forward cg but not much. i think she's borderline tailheavy. one retract wouldn't work unless i had throttle at 0 in a glide. funny really. nice plane!

on 3s i can see why guys want more speed but man flight times are sweet. i flew 2200 and 2600 3s packs and was getting around 8 to 9 minutes, this is while slow flying for photos.

4s flight time was good as well. def needs ventilation.

thanks guys for all of the advise
Awesome!!!!

UBEC should solve the retract issue - hopefully.

Only issue I've ever had with this plane is landing into the wind. She does not want to come down at all, this is the only plane I Land downwind lol.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:22 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,739 Posts
RyramZ - I am interested to learn what radio system you set up on your Dynam Spitfire....I have been using Spektrum radio and receiver exclusively on all my planes including my Dynam fleet and have never had an issue with a retract failing.....unless after a prang.

There are several other threads where some fellas did report issues with the retracts on a different receiver....wonder if it is a voltage output variance?

My Dynam Spifire's have served as my training and practice planes for over three years.....great airframe.

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Jul 11, 2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:06 AM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
776 Posts
Glad to hear it went okay Ryan. Nice shots , low and slow!
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:22 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,249 Posts
Thanks guys.

Spektrum dx6i dsmx protocol with new 6110 or whatever they are calling the new 6 channel rx. Only happens under load, never saw the issue on the bench and seriously when i get off the throttle and hit the switch they work great.
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:30 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
Thanks guys.

Spektrum dx6i dsmx protocol with new 6110 or whatever they are calling the new 6 channel rx. Only happens under load, never saw the issue on the bench and seriously when i get off the throttle and hit the switch they work great.
Yup under load, UBEC for sure!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:53 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
1,739 Posts
Thought I would share a repair maiden with you guys.....to me a maiden is really the first time an airframe is flown......and nearly the same idea is when an airframe is repaired after extensive damages it's an entirely different airframe. So if I repair a landing gear or replace a servo....no biggie. As you guys know when we replace or repair the entire front end complete with motor it's a little more than a simple toss up flight

Anyway - please disregard my rant of the Spektrum DX6i timer bug (issue of timer resetting to count time up instead of down to zero)....

Dynam 1200mm RC Spitifre 05 17 14 repair maiden (9 min 54 sec)

TwistedGrin
TwistedGrin is offline Find More Posts by TwistedGrin
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:55 AM
Flying from Vic Park
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
2,210 Posts
Believe or not one of the great features of my Dx9 over the Dx6 is the timer. I hated the Dx6 timer it caused at least at least one model right off and more than a few crashes.
Great_Goose is online now Find More Posts by Great_Goose
Old Jul 15, 2014, 07:26 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
723 Posts
Highly recommend telemetry if you can get it, not sure I could go back to a timer now.
FrSky module/Rx, a voltage sensor and the amp meter gives me:
pack voltage, cell voltage, Rx voltage, amps, watts, mah used...

I just set the alarm at 3.3v cell voltage (under load) and land once it hits that. Still have a few minutes to bring her in, Batteries always settle to about 3.7v and that's close enough to storage for me. But best of all I know if I have a weak cell, before it bites me. I've caught two old packs like this, and even found out I'd inadvertently plugged an already used battery back in just after take off, giving me time to land straight away.
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:01 PM
Foam air frame tester
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
302 Posts
A bit late to the party but my 2 cents on the spitfire wing issues:

If you fly aerobatics with this model or you aren't very good at landing, it's a matter of when and not if the wing will break.

If i buy another one, the first thing i will do is cut the wings off and put 2 additional carbon spars in each side (I put up a few pics of how to do it a few pages back if anyone wants some idea as to what's involved). It's easy to do, you don't need any special tools, just an hour or two and two lengths of carbon rod.

I test flew mine for the first time last weekend and it's a completely different plane. It flies with so much more authority and the modification is worth doing just for how much better it makes the plane fly.

There are also some symptoms of a broken wing too. The model will start rolling when pulling out of dives or doing loops with any sort of speed. You can see it visually too, just dive the model towards yourself so you can look straight down the fuselage and pull up. The video 2 pages back by bobdaeronort shows this behavior quite clearly. You will see the wings flexing and if its broken they will move different amounts. My plane flew for quite a while like this and i can pin point the moment i broke the wing, a very high speed, high-g pull up to avoid a mid-air.
d3c0yz3d is offline Find More Posts by d3c0yz3d
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:56 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,414 Posts
Whilst the wing issue is true enough..... and I did beak mine, but in crashes that 'should' anyway.... I have not had any issues - almost.
My Spitfire has been heavy since its build (1.7Kg region and running 4S 3000 to 3700), and flies fantastic. But I fly it like a real one.... so do not encounter 'excessive' G's ever. For all the same reasons they only fly real aircraft to certain limits.
The weakness are outside of the landing gear span, so they don't care about the extra weight during landings anyway. And even in flight they are only providing about 30% of the lift total from out there.

Mine is 'a number of years' old and uncountable flights.... and still going strong. Though it DOES have some stress cracks here and there, but nothing excessive to worry about so far.
It has only even flown from grass too.

So I don't think the wings truly need any strengthening - but they do have a poor design at that retract area outwards, which is a weak point. But that is also a GOOD thing in a crash - better that they do break off there than destroy other more serious areas. They are easy to repair (as per both mine have broken off in crashes).

I did join the wing halves permanently and I would advise that to be done, because that IS a structural importance - seeing landing gear use the wing as a 'bridge' to one another, so you need that to be solid and reliable. Forming a sort of sub-frame running from gear to gear.
And as mentioned, those outer areas are probably better left alone so they CAN break off in a crash.

If you are flexing the wings in flight then you are using the Spitfire as some form of aerobatic aircraft instead of 'normal'. hehe. So for those pilots it probably elevates the outer wing strength importance, and makes strengthening a useful (important) thing to do.
Mind you, carrying 1.7Kg and doing even just 'Spitfire normal things' is still quite high G at times (because more weight makes any given manouever have multiplied G's of a lighter plane), and I haven't had any wing issue.

I fly ONLY as per any pilot would fly the full sized one, so this removes reaching undue stresses that might otherwise cause structural issues. And with the higher weight this makes for an awesome looking Spitfire in flight! (No 'floaty toy' motions).
If I want to do more extreme aerobatics, I do so with a SBach342. hehe

(And which reminds me I better get the Spitfire out again very soon! It should last at least another year or two before 'foam wear' is excessive. "Rubbery EPO".)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2014, 09:08 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3c0yz3d View Post

If i buy another one, the first thing i will do is cut the wings off and put 2 additional carbon spars in each side (I put up a few pics of how to do it a few pages back if anyone wants some idea as to what's involved). It's easy to do, you don't need any special tools, just an hour or two and two lengths of carbon rod.
I never cut the wings off when I add carbon spars. I just cut the exact size of the rod. I scuff the rod so it's not smooth and the glue has something to hold on to. I normally use the crappy rubber cement that comes with the models like FMS as it is flexible. I've done this to many models. Here's an example. Takes about 15-30m per rod.

Example of my Durafly T-28.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:41 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
1,850 Posts
I do the same gluing in an addition spar but I use a 1x6mm CF strip. Just cut a line down the wing from tip 6mm deep. Run some CA down the cut and insert CF. Run some more CA on top of the strip and wait to dry. I do the same on control surfaces and tail stabs.
Really stiffened up my 109 but I use 0.5x3mm strips there.

Griphin is online now Find More Posts by Griphin
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:50 PM
Foam air frame tester
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
302 Posts
Diesel6401: The reason I use my method is that you can't see the carbon rod. Cutting the ends off isn't as drastic as it sounds. You must be doing some heavy duty flying to need to reinforce a Durafly T-28 wing!!

PeterVRC: I feel you are contradicting yourself a bit there mate.
d3c0yz3d is offline Find More Posts by d3c0yz3d
Old Jul 16, 2014, 06:35 AM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3c0yz3d View Post
Diesel6401: The reason I use my method is that you can't see the carbon rod. Cutting the ends off isn't as drastic as it sounds. You must be doing some heavy duty flying to need to reinforce a Durafly T-28 wing!!

PeterVRC: I feel you are contradicting yourself a bit there mate.
Got yea. Last 2 planes I've done where white on the bottom, so the white tape over top doesn't look terrible.

Yea my Durafly T-28 is far from stock