HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:01 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
Nice! Can you post some pics? How about a close up a crimped connection?

Any reason you went with the SB50 vs the PP75? The SB50 and PP75 appear to be almost identical in size.
Don't have any pics of the crips, but I can try and get some.

The reason I went with SB50 was because they are one piece housings with two holes so they can be fixed in the fuse of the planes.

You can see it in this video from when I tested them out on my 5s packs:
http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptainN.../5/dj4JfEW4OJY
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:23 AM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Assorted PL8 Screen shots:

Hi Guys:

I am going to add a couple of post showing some of the screens available on the PL8's CCS (Computer Control Screen). The first post includes screen shots of the seven major tabs that can be selected from the main CCS window. Note also that almost all of the changed that can be made from the CCS windows can also be made directly at the PL8's LCD window.

Cell Tab: Select preset to use and observe status of charge/discharge.
Int.Res. Tab: Observe internal resistance of each cell during charge but not during discharge.
Supply Tab: Observe supply status as well as selecting power supply type and parameters.
Firmware Tab: Used to update FREE upgrades.
Options Tab: Used to select internal PL8 options/behavior.
Presets Tab: Used to select alter/edit presets. 25 User presets and 50 Library presets. Note: all 75 presets are stored in PL8's memory. Additional presets can also be stored on you computer and traded out at anytime.
No Errors Tab: Used to verify that new user presets and edits you make will work correctly with a new firmware update/download. If changes need to be made, they will be flagged automatically on this page and the correction can be originate from this page.

I will follow later with a second post with screen shots of sub-tabs of the main preset tab. This is where you would make the majority of edit and changes to presets.

Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Last edited by Jack Doherty; Jan 23, 2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:51 PM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Assorted PL8 Screen shots:post 2 of 2

Hi Guys:

This is post 2 of the Assorted PL8 screen shots.

The post will focus on the sub-tabs of the Presets main window tab. Each setting has its own drop down window for easy minimum and maximum allowable value selection.

General tab: The current preset can be exchanged for other presets in the Library or your custom presets.
Detection tab: Defines the way cell are recognized by PL8.
Charge tab: One of the most powerful and important of the PL8 screens. Here you set charge amps and charge to voltage of cells.
Discharge tab: Maybe the second most important and powerful screen. Her you set the discharge amps (up to 30A regenerative), discharge to voltage and number of cycles one to infinite.
Balance tab: For setting the speed and timing of cell balancing during a charge. PL8 does not balance during discharge.
Termination tab: Here one can alter how PL8 ends a charge based of different battery chemistry.
Screens tab: Allows you to add to, remove, hide or reorder the LCD screens that appear on the PL8's LCD screen. If a window is ghosted out, it can not be altered or removed.
Fuel tab: Each type battery chemistry, and capacity can effect the indicated fuel level. FMA supplies many generic fuel tables, and some specific to a brand of battery. But IMO one of the most significant feature of the PL8 will be a fuel wizard that allows you the user to create a fuel gage that meets the exact parameters of a particular battery you own. If you chose to, you could have a fuel gage created for each and every battery you own. An accurate fuel gage will also allow PL8 to perform a much more accurate AUTO xC charge whether it be 1C-5C or more to accommodate future battery technology advances.
Safety tab: Allows you to adjust how safety issues are handled.

Hope this is helpful,
Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:07 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
I agree that 6mm high quality bullets are sufficient. I would post that Deans Ultra are also sufficient but then the deans versus APPs debates follows and Deans are difficult for most solder to such large leads.

I have 3" 12 ga. super flex from APP 45A connectors soldered to 3" long 5/8" dia. copper pipe and I have not had any problems yet but I have not ran these at over 800 watts on 24 volts so that was only 33 amps. through the APPs and a very short length of 12 ga.

When I ran the 960 watts test the leads from the power supply (different ones) were 10 ga. and only 2-1/2" long. soldered directly from power supply blades to copper pipe.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:11 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Norway View Post
Don't have any pics of the crips, but I can try and get some.

The reason I went with SB50 was because they are one piece housings with two holes so they can be fixed in the fuse of the planes.

You can see it in this video from when I tested them out on my 5s packs:
http://www.youtube.com/user/CaptainN.../5/dj4JfEW4OJY
Thanks for posting. I love Powerpoles, but have only used the 15A, 30A, and 45A variety up to this point. I was going to use use the SB50 years ago on the input to my Schulze 636+RS because the wire was much heavier than 10AWG which is the largest size that the 45A APPs support. It's good to see that the SB50s are not too hard to pull apart.

From the spec sheets it appears the SB50 and 75A PPs are similar in size.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:10 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
I seem to remember a comment by the FMA engineer that that silly dongle made it simple to connect 16 of these unit together. I am not a computer techie so have no idea standard (?) USB interface versuses FMA's approach. I will say that my Cell Pro 10 or this Power Lab 8 has never had any issues updating and they both went throught many,many updates and the PL8 has had so many I have completely lost count. Non of these due to operational problems but rater to add feactures / options etc. and there is still a nice list to be addressed.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:26 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,106 Posts
I'm not really seeing the issue with the FMA/PC connection. I've used the same FMA interface with 3 different computers, on XP, Vista, and currently Windows 7. Never had an issue loading the driver or using FMA software. Speed has never been an issue since firmware updates are not performed on a daily basis. Preset updates can be performed in a couple seconds.

I only wish my mainstream Epson printer was so well supported. I'm really getting tired of having to replace perfectly good peripherals because the vendors refuse to write updated drivers for them.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:15 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
It is my contention that a crimped connection carries higher current than a soldered connection.

Quote:
Perhaps they can be soldered? I'd most likely just use the 45A APPs.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:27 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
Its not a matter of speed for me its a matter of how its hooked up. It may not be an issue for other people I just dont like it. I like USB hookups. My castle creations speed control for my rc car uses a mini USB. Simple and universal...just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
I'm not really seeing the issue with the FMA/PC connection. I've used the same FMA interface with 3 different computers, on XP, Vista, and currently Windows 7. Never had an issue loading the driver or using FMA software. Speed has never been an issue since firmware updates are not performed on a daily basis. Preset updates can be performed in a couple seconds.

I only wish my mainstream Epson printer was so well supported. I'm really getting tired of having to replace perfectly good peripherals because the vendors refuse to write updated drivers for them.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:48 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,106 Posts
I use Castle ESCs on my helis. There is mini USB cable to a proprietry adapter Castle calls the Castle link. This connects to the ESC servo connecter via 3 pins. I just don't see how this is any more standard or easy to work with the FMA setup.

EDIT: Never mind. I see that the Castle Mamba series includes the Castle Link inside the ESC. So you can connect directly to the ESC with USB cable. Pretty darn cool. I do wonder why that feature is not included in thier latest ICE series. Mostly likely cost and weight.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gregor99; Jan 23, 2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:53 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
It is my contention that a crimped connection carries higher current than a soldered connection.
I'm a firm believer that a crimped connection is superior to a soldered connection (IMHO) and I've been crimping all my APPs for years. However, the proper crimp tools are quite expensive. Also, depending on the number of connections that need to be made it's hard to be justify the expense. Thus, the reason why I suggested soldering.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:13 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
The crimp tool prices make me cringe!! I wonder if the true amp capacity of the sb50 would be lower with a solder connection? I dont think it would be. It would be awesome to buy a pl8 with a sb50 already crimped

Quote:
I'm a firm believer that a crimped connection is superior to a soldered connection (IMHO) and I've been crimping all my APPs for years. However, the proper crimp tools are quite expensive. Also, depending on the number of connections that need to be made it's hard to be justify the expense. Thus, the reason why I suggested soldering.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
It is awesome I tell you...I just leave the usb hooked up to the computer and just plug it in to the controller. If I lose the cable I go and look in the cable drawer and low and behold there is another one!! No need to keep tabs on the interface. Yes my hobby room gets messy sometimes....like today..oui!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
I use Castle ESCs on my helis. There is mini USB cable to a proprietry adapter Castle calls the Castle link. This connects to the ESC servo connecter via 3 pins. I just don't see how this is any more standard or easy to work with the FMA setup.

EDIT: Never mind. I see that the Castle Mamba series includes the Castle Link inside the ESC. So you can connect directly to the ESC with USB cable. Pretty darn cool. I do wonder why that feature is not included in thier latest ICE series. Mostly likely cost and weight.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:17 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,177 Posts
I have a dongle for my Cellpro 10s, I have a dongle for my Hyperion Duo, I have a dongle for my Eagle Tree data logger, I have a dongle for my Castle Controller, I have a dongle for my JR 12x... I don't want to hear about opto isolation or cost, anyone in the PC business knows standards are one of the key differences between wide acceptance and niche market, cost is also likely the same for one versus the other. Just add it to the list and see if they'll do it rather then list excuses why they didn't or might not have, if they say no than so be it but at least its been brought to their attention...

Jack
jfetter is online now Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jan 24, 2010, 09:28 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,534 Posts
Some vendors are listening. As previously mentioned, the Hyperion 720i NET3 and DUO 3 have the USB interface directly on the charger. Thus, the only hardware necessary to interface these chargers to a PC is a standard USB cable.
Last edited by Ohmic; Jan 25, 2010 at 07:15 AM.