SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 12:29 AM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Feb 2013
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Glide View Post
This is the sat receiver I use. You will see the important difference with it when you press the link.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._version_.html

Oh and those are 2208 motors not 2206 running 4s
First, thanks for the link. I bought one. (International Warehouse cost $10, but $20 to buy from US warehouse - grrr )
EArHog is offline Find More Posts by EArHog
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:31 AM
Herd WarpSquad
United States, AL, Guntersville
Joined Dec 2012
1,118 Posts
Quote:
This is the sat receiver I use. You will see the important difference with it when you press the link.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._version_.html
How does the range on that compare to FrSky?
Moto Moto is online now Find More Posts by Moto Moto
Old Today, 12:54 AM
Team Warpsquad
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGoesPro View Post
The non shielded part of the antenna seams quite long... way longer than usual... is that just on the picture or does your satellite has that as well?

Awesome find btw... will have to look more into that...

...I am so jealous... want.. those... 2208... too... :-D
32mm for the active element. The 2208's are nice but the extra weight of everything will make it more of a high speed cruiser I think. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArHog View Post
First, thanks for the link. I bought one. (International Warehouse cost $10, but $20 to buy from US warehouse - grrr )
That sucks! I can only get them from the international warehouse so bought a few including a number of spare antennas for something like 50 cents each. They come in handy from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Moto View Post
How does the range on that compare to FrSky?
I fly with some FsSky tx and other Spektrum users and have no dramas compared to them (except for the faulty sat I had) but we are not going for ultimate range with our mini quads. I bought my son a Taranis so I intend to do side by side range tests out at my gliding club where there is 50km plus of totally flat farm land and we have a 1.4km runway in a low RF noise environment. The plan is to stand at one end and fly the quad down the runway 1 foot off the ground until it hits failsafe. Thats more real life than trying for a couple of km 2000ft up which mini quads never really do.
Final Glide is offline Find More Posts by Final Glide
Old Today, 01:13 AM
Quad User
Australia, VIC, The Basin
Joined Aug 2014
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr View Post

On a different note, the weather this weekend has been very nice. It got up to 50 (10C) today so able to get out to do a lot of flying. Also got a Mobius camera for Xmas with the Hat clip. Took a few videos to get the camera pointing adjusted and a few flights to get my thumbs back to shape (its been a few weeks without flying the WQ's.
So here is a video of my WQ270. Please do give feedback. I tried to do maneuvers above the trees since the WQ is real hard to see with the tree's as a back ground. Remember that I got a WQ in August and could not do a flip without crashing then. My broken prop collection is not up to the level that EH's is but getting there.
Was running a Luminer 1300 battery which has a Voltage drop on throttle punches and the Bat Alarm is set to 3.4V so it beeps a lot. If you don't want to watch the whole video do watch the last two minutes.
https://vimeo.com/115498071
Hi waltr
Honest feedback:
You're going really well, pushing your limits the perfect amount. I bet the poor weather is driving you crazy, when all you would want to do is fly that thang.
daveracer is offline Find More Posts by daveracer
Old Today, 05:52 AM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Australia, VIC, Eurobin
Joined Jul 2014
322 Posts
I put 5 packs through the FPV, WQ230 this morning.
Taranis Tx, D4R-II Rx.
200mW generic 5.8G VTx, Black Pearl, Diversity 7" LDC - good VRx sensitivity .
25mW VTx's are still in transit.
Low to the ground at around 600m I was getting a Low RSSI warning (Taranis),
and the Video was starting to drop out, when it goes it goes out fast, tens of meters.
Going up to 50m or 100m or more the range is quite a bit further on the VTx.
I'm not so worried about the Low RSSI (Taranis) as you get a Critical RSSI warning as well,
on a low warning you still have a fair amount range left, well I hope so
My antenna setup is almost the same as FG's, cable ties support the Rx antenna, heatshrinked over.
I misplaced my 15mm velcro so couldn't attach a Mobius, next time maybe.
Also I don't think my Naze32 is working as good as it should, I may replace that.

Waltr I can't watch Vimeo Vids, they never load properly here, rural internet sux.

EH be careful with that DMM, On the Ohms setting Don't use the Buzzer option on
electronical type stuff. The Buzzer continuity option places the full battery
supply (9V etc) across the Probes. This can fry low voltage Chips or 3.3V or
5V chip inputs/outputs ect.
The normal Ohms settings do also but there is usually very high resistance
associated with them, in most cases harmless.
And always test unplugged stuff, unless looking for a specific problem which needs power-up.
Switching power supplies can create quite high voltages in some parts of the circuit,
bridging these parts to other parts could taunt the Smoke Monster
Too Many Toys is offline Find More Posts by Too Many Toys
Old Today, 07:47 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2013
614 Posts
Quote:
. . . .
. . . .
One thing to do is enable the Failsafe feature in the FC (I think you are using a MW board). If Failsafe activates it puts the FC into Angel (self0level) mode and sets the throttle to the FS THR value. Do the ACC TRIM so that it does not hold a perfect level but moves forward and turns (a little roll) and not too low of a FS THR. This way if the FS actives the quad turns so there is a good chance the RF control link re-establishes and you can continue flying. This has worked for me a few times, even though it seems like there is no control forever.
Forgive the OT question ....
Is there anyway to implement a similar "RF link reconnect" feature with a DJI NAZA-M-V2 flight controller?
DJI27 is online now Find More Posts by DJI27
Old Today, 08:08 AM
Team WarpSquad [ L ] Learner
Australia, VIC, Eurobin
Joined Jul 2014
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27 View Post
Forgive the OT question ....
Is there anyway to implement a similar "RF link reconnect" feature with a DJI NAZA-M-V2 flight controller?
NAZA-M-V2 has ReturnToHome upon a FS signal, this isn't good enough ?
If you set your Rx FS to hover, forward, circle the NAZA won't go into FS, RTH.

With the wind as it has been here for the last couple of months, a big slow circle
could see you a few km downwind, a quick crash would be a better option
Too Many Toys is offline Find More Posts by Too Many Toys
Last edited by Too Many Toys; Today at 08:25 AM.
Old Today, 09:06 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2013
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys View Post
NAZA-M-V2 has ReturnToHome upon a FS signal, this isn't good enough ?
If you set your Rx FS to hover, forward, circle the NAZA won't go into FS, RTH.

With the wind as it has been here for the last couple of months, a big slow circle
could see you a few km downwind, a quick crash would be a better option
It wasn't a question of it being good enough, I was just intrigued by an option of interrupting the normal FS routine and allowing the quad to re-acquire a signal and continue normal controlled flying.

Not sure I understand your 2nd sentence. Are you saying that I can (or can not?) actually build in alternative FS scenario?

I just got a new Futaba 14SGH Tx and was wondering if through some combination of Rx's (either the DJI Rx or the new Futaba Rx) and changes made through the NAZA Assistant that I could get this kind of option.

Your point about how wind might make my life complicated, was something I hadn't considered.... I gotta look at the big picture better... a lot of my flying is near a big lake where winds could end up doing exactly what you say. Thanks for the warning

Edit: If convenient, it might be better to go to PM. My questions probably aren't of much interest to guys on this thread...
DJI27 is online now Find More Posts by DJI27
Last edited by DJI27; Today at 09:18 AM.
Old Today, 09:21 AM
Joined May 2014
124 Posts
@TooManyToys -I have a 7" diversity screen (Boscam LCD5802 type) that is clean with good signal, snowy with zero signal, but with very weak signal it behaves strangely.

Soon after it starts to get a bit noisy, it then suddenly goes black, it may flicker between black and snowy awhile, but when black screen happens, even if only briefly, it is very disconcerting!

So I was wondering what the behaviour of your Black Pearl is like at the limits of the range, if it ever blacks out the screen while trying to get the image back?

The other day while I was recording the AV out of this particular unit, I had a string of sudden black screen events but when I later reviewed the recorded video, it video was continuous - I could see the point in which I became disoriented, but there was still usable video on the AV out the whole time. I can't figure why it decided to blank the screen yet send usable video out the AV output. So I suspect there is something strange going on the display logic of this particular type of screen.

I'm keen to get something without *any* black or blue screening, and would be grateful for any positive recommendations.

Cheers -C
ctzsnooze is offline Find More Posts by ctzsnooze
Last edited by ctzsnooze; Today at 09:27 AM.
Old Today, 09:32 AM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
3,587 Posts
Quote:
If you're going to break 'em four at a time I'm sure you'll have a great collection of 'bones' in no time at all.

I am tone deaf when it comes to PID tuning, so don't take my word for it, but... I thought I was hearing maybe a lot of oscillation here and there throughout the flight. Final Glide has a good ear for that sort of thing. Hey, FG, you out there, good buddy?

Mobius PQ is looking good.
Yes, am getting a collection going.
This WQ270 is running OneShot so I have been upping the R&P 'P's (Thanks to FG's video). They are now at 5.6 and have noticed the oscillation, sounds like prop flutter, coming out of maneuvers. Had this on the WQ200 and upping the TPA helped so I need to up the TPA on the 270.
Good ear EH. Raining today so no flying.
Quote:
That's a 4 pointer for Waltr Nice one mate!

EArHog, Just stick with the stock antenna's on your FPV quad and don't go through the hassle. Correct antenna placement is far more important than people give it credit.
Agree. I went through this on my mini-H FPV quad. Getting the active antenna away from the carbon frame helped a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveracer View Post
Hi waltr
Honest feedback:
You're going really well, pushing your limits the perfect amount. I bet the poor weather is driving you crazy, when all you would want to do is fly that thang.
Thanks. I do credit the WQ design with how much I have improved. Since they can take crashes I'm not afraid to keep pushing and learning.
Still don't know if I like the WQ200 or the 270 better, they are fly differently but both are lots of fun.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr
Old Today, 11:20 AM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Feb 2013
4,205 Posts
Quote:
This WQ270 is running OneShot so I have been upping the R&P 'P's (Thanks to FG's video).
I tried that too, hoping to get FG's incredibly snappy responses. I got a lot of oscillations, warm motors, and noticeably less top end speed. I dialed P back and it got better - faster, cooler.

Quote:
Thanks. I do credit the WQ design with how much I have improved. Since they can take crashes I'm not afraid to keep pushing and learning.
EXACTLY!!

Quote:
Still don't know if I like the WQ200 or the 270 better, they are fly differently but both are lots of fun.
Soma said the sweet spot (not his term, though) is the 230. Brain Storm is a champion of owning the trifecta of WQ's, and I am beginning to see the merit of that sentiment.
EArHog is offline Find More Posts by EArHog
Old Today, 11:35 AM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
3,587 Posts
Quote:
I tried that too, hoping to get FG's incredibly snappy responses. I got a lot of oscillations, warm motors, and noticeably less top end speed. I dialed P back and it got better - faster, cooler.

Soma said the sweet spot (not his term, though) is the 230. Brain Storm is a champion of owning the trifecta of WQ's, and I am beginning to see the merit of that sentiment.
I may have the 'P's a little too high. They started out at 2.3 and it fly nice but did get crisper with higher P. I'll try a higher TPA and then maybe back off the Ps a little.

I am going to need to get a WQ230 also just to fly one of each.
The 200 will probably get upgraded motors in the spring. RCX1804s to MN1806's.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr