SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:34 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2006
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWhiz View Post
I diagnosed the problem as a faulty ESC.
Did you try moving the throttle trim all the way down?

It's mentioned somewhere in this thread
Ahmed_A is offline Find More Posts by Ahmed_A
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:56 PM
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_A View Post
Did you try moving the throttle trim all the way down?

It's mentioned somewhere in this thread
I did, yes.. but eventually everyone is gonna get a problem or two.. funnily all the planes I've bought from BH have been good - and fairly good too from HK (with one exception - issue still to be resolved) so maybe it was my turn for a duff one?
Other than that, oh, and I'm having a game removing the stock prop - the shaft just turns - I'm excited to have this airframe, if it's as good as ppl say then it'll be a keeper!
BillyWhiz is offline Find More Posts by BillyWhiz
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:52 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWhiz View Post
I bought myself an Edge 540 qq from a local store that had one in stock, I had noticed they were on back-order on the Horizon website.. I was kind of expectant of a really nicely presented kit what with E Flite being so high profile thru their extensive distribution through LHS's.
I'd just built - ie assembled - a bunch of HobbyKing birds plus a couple from Banana Hobby so I was expecting this to be a doddle - in fact I very nearly headed straight to my flying field from the model shop!
Back home I assembled the wings and fiddled a bit with alignment of one of the tiny screws.. I used a ''podger'' to encourage everything to line up.
I got my DX6i and adapted the bind plug by shifting over one terminal & put that onto the spektrum rx in the 540qq - I got it bound and checked servos.. yep! Then I checked the motor.. nothing! I diagnosed the problem as a faulty ESC so I replaced it with a 12 amp I had laying around. All good, so I set up a model in the DX with the recommended rates & expos.
I then noticed the tailplane was somewhat crooked.. fiddled a bit with the delicate foam surfaces (yes this IS a micro..) and straightened it with the help of some hot breathing! I then had to disconnect the elev servo horn and equalise the elevator angles.. Hmmm..
Right - off to the field. I only had a pair of 180 mah 3s lipos so I installed them both, CG'd her and added 8g (a quarter) in the spinner. I weighed the airframe with the 2 lipos in - 232 grams. CG was 41mm from the L.E.
Hand launched at 60% throttle, she climbed and then settled into a slightly diving trim.. added some up elev.. glanced down & up to see then recover her about 20" from the deck - woah.. I landed her onto grass under a touch of power and was pleased she was a cinch to bring down. Added some physical up ele and relaunched , better now I thought.. I flew a few circuits and a couple rolls on low rate and had another go at a landing.. same nice manners and a very slow stall speed in the dead calm conditions I maidened in.
Verdict - nice design, nice box - shame about the QC or lack of it.
Gonna order some 500 3s and a better prop.
Couple things, That stock ESC is VERY picky about the throttle endpoint. You have the have the trim all the way down and might even have to adjust the endpoint on the model in the TX to get it to arm.

yeah the QC was a bit of a problem with the QQ. Glad you got things straightened out.

The QQ is a real handful when you are flying it on the light side, unless it is dead calm. It flies much better when the winds are blowing with a bigger pack up front.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Couple things, That stock ESC is VERY picky about the throttle endpoint. You have the have the trim all the way down and might even have to adjust the endpoint on the model in the TX to get it to arm.

yeah the QC was a bit of a problem with the QQ. Glad you got things straightened out.

The QQ is a real handful when you are flying it on the light side, unless it is dead calm. It flies much better when the winds are blowing with a bigger pack up front.

-Brian
Thanks Brian - I did indeed fly it in dead air, and light but it was just a trimming flick around, gonna arm myself with some good lipos and - if I can get the stock prop off (!!) a 7" propeller. I am looking forward to trying high rates!!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:44 PM
USA, SD, Rapid City
Joined Jan 2008
690 Posts
I too thought I had a dead esc, changed both throttle end points and it fired right up. Thing is a hoot I did manage to pop the clear canopy off in a hard blender but lucky I was able to find it and glue it back on. After some flights on the little edge my 30 CC edge felt like it was rolling in slow motion.
Zimm98 is online now Find More Posts by Zimm98
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:48 AM
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Apr 2008
7 Posts
The only thing I noticed is every time I connect the lipo, the esc. starts to beep, but then I just trim it one click down and it is quiet and working. I can click it into neutral after that again and nothing happens. Still workin'. I don't mind that, because the plane works anyway.
Has anyone tried a Graupner 6,7x3,5 SF-Prop yet?
Dappaman is offline Find More Posts by Dappaman
Last edited by Dappaman; Feb 07, 2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:57 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,068 Posts
I'd lay odds that your original esc was ok too. Many have had the same problem, and I noticed in the instructions with the Visionaire, that they even describe it exactly when describing possible binding problems. throttle trim has got to be all the way down whatever it takes to get there.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:23 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I just use throttle cut on my DX8. Turn on throttle cut for arming the plane (good practice anyway and I do this with all my planes) and it works just fine without messing with throttle trims or end points.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:40 PM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
Flew the Edge today... as it was feeling sad and ignored since the arrival of the Visionaire.
Just minutes into the flight, during a rolling dive, the landing gear flew off, into the bush below, never to be found. I'm thinking I'm going to S-can this plane soon.
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:04 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,504 Posts
The gear not glued on properly is on the short list of common QC problems, so I gave all of my Edge 540s a good brisk twang to be sure they were properly mounted, and one I even added some glue.

Prop adapter, rear battery latch, rudder hinges, wing screws, clear canopy, tail wheel, and motor mount at the firewall, are similar problem areas where it would pay to check it yourself before they come loose at the worst possible time.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neon the cat View Post
Flew the Edge today... as it was feeling sad and ignored since the arrival of the Visionaire.
Just minutes into the flight, during a rolling dive, the landing gear flew off, into the bush below, never to be found. I'm thinking I'm going to S-can this plane soon.
New LG is about $8. I wouldn't S-can it for that. It's a terrific flier. I'm having a blast with it anyway.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:11 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
736 Posts
Quote:
You're more than welcome to S-can it in my dumpster...............free of charge!
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:25 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
Quote:
Opps...my Edge is still hanging with the landing gear at the wall (I hope so)
...right, it is hard for the Edge when you have also the Visionaire...
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:10 PM
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
Edge 540 qq woes....

Undercarriage? ;-) I can top that (unfortunately) - Flew the lil Edge today after my brief trimming flight yesterday before it got dark..
Today I was all fired up to see how good this airframe is.. I flew my 50mm F35 edf jet around for 5 minutes to get my eye in and warm my thumbs up. The darkening skies echoed with the scream of the tiny fan - I mobbed it around and flew all the regular pattern stuff and then a bit of high alpha before the lipo gave a warning pulse.. Landed and swapped the jet for my new Edge qq - I hand-launched and flew some circuits - trim was perfect so I did some multiple rolls and flew some full power verticle rolls - all on low rate - what a blast :-) suddenly the sound of the motor tripled and I saw a bunch of foam (the cowling) fly off the plane.. there was a problem - I couldn't hold it against a massive anti clockwise roll and it drilled into the deck. It crashed a couple yards in front of me and on inspecting the wreckage I realised what had happened - the (stock) propeller had thrown a blade and it looked like the resultant vibration tore the front of the plane to pieces mid air - even the motor mount was in two pieces - only one piece was there at the scene - and believe me I scoured for it.
Oh well.. gotta make that call to the store now. I have a bad taste in my mouth at the moment!!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2013
42 Posts
Edge 540qq - hmmm...

Just called the store in Vista, CA where I bought the Edge - guy just washed his hands of it.. I was told to call Horizon, after a couple of "I'm not sure why you're calling me?" kind of noises! So the stuff local flyers told me like 'I always buy E Flite planes because if there's any problem you can just take it back..' was probably hype..