SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:36 AM
United States, NY, Homer
Joined Nov 2006
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
I dont see why not, following radio installation guidelines, sufficient power to the electronics and so on. I sqeezed in 5 cells into mine and occasionally run on 2S (w voltage dropdown to comply with the 5cell/ ~5V battery warning).
And youre adviced to ask at the Futaba direct support forum
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_125/tt.htm
concerning range, large scale & other issues
Thanks, I put my question in the support forum.
hoofhearted is offline Find More Posts by hoofhearted
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:08 AM
Aviation Maintenance Manager
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Dec 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
Question for all. The R2008SB reciever that comes with this transmitter is high voltage capable and according to towerhobbies website you can run a unregulated 2s lipo battery on it to give you your high voltage. has anybody tried this yet or should it have a regulator on it. I would prefer to run a lipo for the wieght savings.
Im running 4S on mine(R2008SB) on two warbirds(FMS 55" Mitsubishi Zero & FlyZone 44" Focke Wulf) for 3+ months now.
carrera mike is offline Find More Posts by carrera mike
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:03 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera mike View Post
Im running 4S on mine(R2008SB) on two warbirds(FMS 55" Mitsubishi Zero & FlyZone 44" Focke Wulf) for 3+ months now.
No, you're not running the R2008SB or servos on 4S
Your receiver and servos are running on whatever voltage your BEC puts out, normally 5.1V
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:00 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,628 Posts
Well, I ordered a brand new Futaba 8J with the R2008SB receiver for $270 shipped on AMainHobbies(.com). Should be here next Friday. I'm eager to see it's performance and speed over Spektrum (which I was having glitches/problems with where I fly)... should be cool! Real excited to try it out!

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight THERMAL Video!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:08 PM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
317 Posts
2 ailerons and dual rates?

I'm trying to setup a 2 aileron plane with the 8J. I have "flaperons" enabled per manual since 2nd aileron is on channel 6. I'm trying to setup dual rates and I don't know how to get channel 6 on dual rate (both to adjust control surface travel amount & when using high/low rate switch.

I only see ch. 1-4 available for dual rate screen. I have control surfaces adjusted manually etc.. but would like to use dual rate to get to where I need to be and have HI/Low rate switch(that would include 2nd aileron together with aileron 1). I have read thru manual and done alot of searching online, but haven't come up with anything yet (only second plane, first time setting up one). I hope this makes sense to someone

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

NOTE: I just got some help on 14sg thread. It was more of a mechanical linkage adjustment needed. I would still like to know if you can individually adjust 1 aileron and then "pair" it with other side to use with dual rates. Like adjusting each then connecting on same dual rate (maybe 1 moves more on low than the other etc...) I may call Futaba and see if there is an adjustment in transmitter for this, or if I even make sense
ncsky is online now Find More Posts by ncsky
Last edited by ncsky; Jan 19, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:25 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsky View Post
I'm trying to setup
---
Not sure what you mean with the pairing, apologize if misleading anyway.
Assuming you have checked the mechanical part acc. to the other thread and then sub-trimmed within reasonable amounts to get the flaperons to neutral:
If one servo (surface) moves more than the other you might want to eg. decrease the END POINT of the one with most throw. Scroll to either CH1 or 6 and move the ail stick in desired direction and change the value while watching the surface movement.
To acieve the desired amounts of travel you also might want to play with the numbers in the flaperon menu (ail1, ail2 with their L and R numbers).
And if you dont want to mess up a working setup, copy the model to another, empty, memory (under the MDL-SEL menu) and then play with the numbers. (And some more ifs: newbie & electric model - play without any propeller mounted).
The SERVO menu usually is a good help also, to see where different numbers and mixes take the servo(s).
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:11 PM
The squidman
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
Does anyone know how to use the trainer port so that no 2.4 signal is transmitting? Mine doesn't turn on just by plugging in the trainer port.
ssquillace is offline Find More Posts by ssquillace
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:01 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquillace View Post
Does anyone know how to use the trainer port so that no 2.4 signal is transmitting? Mine doesn't turn on just by plugging in the trainer port.
What do you put into the trainer port?
Just no RF - press the jog key (centre) and choose RF off when turning on.
Then you have power on trainer port PIN5 which might power on whatever you put there if its supposed to work with 8J...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:01 PM
The squidman
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
What do you put into the trainer port?
Just no RF - press the jog key (centre) and choose RF off when turning on.
Then you have power on trainer port PIN5 which might power on whatever you put there if its supposed to work with 8J...
I am using a UHF that requires 12v so I use an external lipo to power it, just use the signal and ground from trainer port to run it. And share a common ground with the lipo, I also have a UBEC running into the battery compartment that gives steady 5.5v for my Radio
ssquillace is offline Find More Posts by ssquillace
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:34 PM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Not sure what you mean with the pairing, apologize if misleading anyway.
Assuming you have checked the mechanical part acc. to the other thread and then sub-trimmed within reasonable amounts to get the flaperons to neutral:
If one servo (surface) moves more than the other you might want to eg. decrease the END POINT of the one with most throw. Scroll to either CH1 or 6 and move the ail stick in desired direction and change the value while watching the surface movement.
To acieve the desired amounts of travel you also might want to play with the numbers in the flaperon menu (ail1, ail2 with their L and R numbers).
And if you dont want to mess up a working setup, copy the model to another, empty, memory (under the MDL-SEL menu) and then play with the numbers. (And some more ifs: newbie & electric model - play without any propeller mounted).
The SERVO menu usually is a good help also, to see where different numbers and mixes take the servo(s).
Thanks Again! All great information to think about. I hadn't thought of using the end point on 1 aileron to get both close the same on each side. Sorry if my post didn't make sense. When I was trying to get the control throws the right amount (per plane instructions) I just couldn't get 1 side where it needed to be and I was trying to do all of it via the dual rate adjustment menu, but that affected both sides since I didn't see channel 6 listed (only channels 1-4 for dual rate menu). I hadn't thought of setting up a second model to use as the test subject. I will definitely do that and just experiment with the functions especially since I'm still learning. Great advice on the propeller. I had it on earlier and then stopped and thought it may not be such a good idea to have that slice into me or something while I'm messing around

Thanks again for all the help!

Jason
ncsky is online now Find More Posts by ncsky
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:42 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquillace View Post
I am using a UHF that requires 12v so I use an external lipo to power it, just use the signal and ground from trainer port to run it. And share a common ground with the lipo, I also have a UBEC running into the battery compartment that gives steady 5.5v for my Radio
Then you have 2 options,
1) the safer (concerning your Tx) - hold the jog key down while powering on and choose rf off. Note, if any (mix or eg. thr stick) warning appears you need to keep pushing and disengage the mix/switch/thrstick until the RF menu appears. Choose OFF and you wont see the small antenna icon among the stuff on your screen. If you change model memory RF goes on and you have to reboot and do it again.

2) Connect your BEC output to PIN5 to power your TX without RF (as you already have GND connected) You dont use the Tx on/off switch, keep it off, the Tx should go on when turning on the BEC/UHF gear (and the nonsafe part maybe - it will go off if something happens to the power source, eg. BEC goes down due to empty lipo. Or the magic white smoke if you connect it in a wrong way...)
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:36 PM
United States, GA, Norcross
Joined Dec 2012
21 Posts
Guys, if someone could please help with this:

I have 4 HK F-30A ESCs flashed with simonk firmware and i am trying to calibrate them using Futaba T8J TX. I've tried almost all of the methods found in threads and nothing seems to work!

What exactly do I need to do on the TX for ESCs to calibrate?

How do I set throttle low to 120% or -120%???
Phroso is offline Find More Posts by Phroso
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:57 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroso View Post
Guys, if someone could please help with this:

I have 4 HK F-30A ESCs flashed with simonk firmware and i am trying to calibrate them using Futaba T8J TX. I've tried almost all of the methods found in threads and nothing seems to work!

What exactly do I need to do on the TX for ESCs to calibrate?

How do I set throttle low to 120% or -120%???
The 8J is the first Futaba Ive seen in which you dont have to REVerse THR for ESCs. Use an empty (or resetted) model memory and watch the servo screen and youll see the THR going the opposite way than the other stick.
So, TX on, full throttle, RX on, some short beep (assuming you have ESC wired to a motor - without prop), pull down throttle and youre done. If youre using a flight controller you need to check its manual.
You might want to look at the THR.CUT and change its MODE to ESC and MIX to OFF (not INH), move down to THR, set stick to min and press the jog for 0%. Enable any switch & position as safety switch.
NOTE: If you hit the switch you have to pull down THR stick before enabling it by the switch, check the SERVO monitor again.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:33 PM
United States, GA, Norcross
Joined Dec 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
The 8J is the first Futaba Ive seen in which you dont have to REVerse THR for ESCs. Use an empty (or resetted) model memory and watch the servo screen and youll see the THR going the opposite way than the other stick.
So, TX on, full throttle, RX on, some short beep (assuming you have ESC wired to a motor - without prop), pull down throttle and youre done. If youre using a flight controller you need to check its manual.
You might want to look at the THR.CUT and change its MODE to ESC and MIX to OFF (not INH), move down to THR, set stick to min and press the jog for 0%. Enable any switch & position as safety switch.
NOTE: If you hit the switch you have to pull down THR stick before enabling it by the switch, check the SERVO monitor again.
Thanks, I tried this before (slightly different method) and yours as well, didn't work. TX beeps constantly if throttle stick is all the way up, warning I guess that throttle is 100%!?
Phroso is offline Find More Posts by Phroso
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:11 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroso View Post
Thanks, I tried this before (slightly different method) and yours as well, didn't work. TX beeps constantly if throttle stick is all the way up, warning I guess that throttle is 100%!?
You mean ESC/Motor beeps? If Tx beeps you have some warning activated and it should read kind of ** THR-STK ** or like that on the Tx display. Check your mixes and start Tx with thr stick at lowest pos. Have you tried an empty/resetted model/memory?

If ESC/Motor makes constant beeps it usually indicates no signal - check Rx-Tx link, polarity of ESC (servo) connectors and so on.

Is some FC invoked? SimonK ESCs are plain simple to calibrate, most likely something else in the setup is making the mess.
(Connect an ESC to Rx throttle channel and try, if its not what youve been doing)