Old Jan 20, 2008, 09:18 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,495 Posts
Discussion
My Scratch Build Harbor Tug

Hi:

I am new to this forum althought I have been posting in the multi rotor heli forum for a couple of months.

I scratch build a model of an 85" harbor tug about 15 years ago. It is about 37 inches in length and was build using plans from the Model Builder magazine. These were full size plans and I still have the plans.

The hull is fibreglass over wood, the decks are aluminum and the deckhouse sides are aluminum. To give the tug more control in reverse and to protect the prop from floating debris I made a kort nozzle,

At present I am in the process of replacing the speed control with an electronic one.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:19 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,810 Posts
Neat tug, Frieslander! The speed controller you made is also neat- though at this point, it belongs in a science fair!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:48 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieslander
I scratch build a model of an 85" harbor tug about 15 years ago. It is about 37 inches in length and was build using plans from the Model Builder magazine. These were full size plans and I still have the plans.
Welcome Frieslander.

That 85' Tug looks kinda familiar..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658295

Is it going to be a refurb from the rudder up?.. or just a tidy up?..
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:30 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,866 Posts
frieslander: Awesome tug! And welcome to the scale boat forum!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:07 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,495 Posts
Hi Guys:

Thanks for the comments. The thing had been collecting dust for awhile as it needed new batteries. I had 3 6 volt gell cells in it and these were used surplus batteries. I was unable to find the same size peplacements so it sat there.

My grandson, 6 years old, wants to see it work so I ordered a 7109 Speed Control by Pro Boat. I am also getting a brand new surplus 12 volt 7 amp gell cell battery. I will be stripping the guts out and then install the new electronics. I hope I will get fully proportional control with this set up. I had an electronic speed control 15 years ago but 1/4 throw of the stick used up all the control. I have a surplus motor that only draws 1/2 amp and may have to change it too. The drive system used a helicopter gear and a small gear on the motor for 3 to 1 reduction. I first tried direct drive but had the tug speeding down the pond like it was a speed boat.

I will have to experiment with the new control, battery and motor to see how everything is going to work.

When I build the hull I made a fibreglass mold and then made a second hull. This one is still hanging on a nail in the shop downstairs. Someday I would love to build a fire boat with that one. Any suggestions as to plans and parts?

Since the original tug was 85' (not 85" as shown above) and the model is 37" I suppose this would be 1/29 scale, am I right?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:38 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Hello, Frieslander and welcome! Thats a nice looking boat you got there. I was wondering if you would mind posting some pictures of the driveline on the inside of the hull? Some of the motor, stuffing tube, ect. would be great.
boat_builder is offline Find More Posts by boat_builder
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:59 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,495 Posts
Boat Builder, I would if I could but I have already torn that part out some time ago when I was trying to come up with an idea for another speed control, sorry.

I am planning to get a new battery later this week if the weather co-operates. I have to go out of town to get this and we are having a cold snap here.

I will be gutting the hull and installing the new battery box and probably a different motor. I will have to wait until the new speed control comes.

In the mean time I am learning how to fly a multi rotor E-Sky Lama V3 helicopter.

Edit: Attached some more pictures
Last edited by frieslander; Jan 21, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 07:00 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Edit: Attached some more pictures
Nice pics Frieslander..

She looks even better in close up.. Some nice details, especially the window frames
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Jan 21, 2008, 07:27 PM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,495 Posts
toesup:

Thanks for the comments. The deckhouse bottom and top is one piece aluminum from back corner to back corner. The port hole frames are PCV water pipe slices. The rails are brass rods and tubing. It was a lot of work to make all the fittings myself. The mast lights work and the mast unplugs from the top of the deckhouse to prevent damage during transport.

I even have a PCV cradle that is about 2 1/2 feet tall so I do not have to get my feet wet when I launch it. I will try to post a picture of it. The boat weights in at about 27 to 30 ponds. The deck is aluminum over wood and has a slight bow from side to side to allow the water to run off. I even made that shell emblem myself.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:26 PM
Kitchener Ontario Canada
Joined Jan 2005
77 Posts
Nice tug,Was it built from the Francis Smith Plan's?
I just got a set of the plan's a month ago,Hope to get started on it soon.
Bob
Bobslr is offline Find More Posts by Bobslr
Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:37 PM
Joined Oct 2007
545 Posts
Quote:
Boat Builder, I would if I could but I have already torn that part out some time ago when I was trying to come up with an idea for another speed control, sorry.
Hey no sweat. I was just curious any how. Onward Ho' with the project!!!
boat_builder is offline Find More Posts by boat_builder
Old Jan 22, 2008, 08:05 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,495 Posts
Bobsir:

The full size plans were supplied by the Model Buider Magazine, Got them about 16 years ago, the tug build was featured in one of their issues.

Yes they were drawn and designed by Francis S. Smith.

boat buider:

No problem, I am the same.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:40 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,285 Posts
frieslander, what holds your stern grating in place? By the pictures it looks as though gravity is the medium. Thanks...GREG
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:50 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,810 Posts
Hope it isn't just gravity! The slightest trip could send it to the bottom...
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:46 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,495 Posts
A tiny screw in the front center grating hole, painted black. It only keeps it from sliding forward, the curve of the inside of the bulwarks keep it from going up. It is a tight fit.

The hole opening is covered by that black piece of aluminum, it just fits loose. no seal. One could use black tape over the seams but I never had any water come in.

The tug has seen some rough water but always bone dry below deck.

The grating is made from mahogany cut on my table saw.