HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2014, 01:49 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,956 Posts
Discussion
Any Bug pilots here?

Every year about this time (the time of easy to find thermals) when I get bored with stuff that just flies back and forth and transition back to gliders from my aggravating helis and multis, I'm always surprised to remember just how cool my little Bug is, and how much fun it is to fly. Wondering if there is anyone else around who has discovered the bliss of this sweet little DLG?

Mine is of the old design with the wing extended to 34". There is a redesigned version (plans at the Yahoo BugHLG group) with a thinner, more modern airfoil that I believe I'm about ready to build.

Cheers-

Rick
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2014, 02:22 PM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
I believe the "active" thread is here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1425492
whizbo is offline Find More Posts by whizbo
Old May 21, 2014, 05:25 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,956 Posts
Yeah- I forgot to mention that I was aware of that thread, but they mostly talk about "where do I get the plans", "how do I build it", "how much does yours weigh", and what-not.

I'm interested in a more laid back, philosophical discussion of the joy of flying the thing. No reason not to have another Bug thread, or is there subject/ thread limit that I'm unaware of?
Old May 22, 2014, 11:32 AM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Feb 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
Yeah- I forgot to mention that I was aware of that thread, but they mostly talk about "where do I get the plans", "how do I build it", "how much does yours weigh", and what-not.

I'm interested in a more laid back, philosophical discussion of the joy of flying the thing. No reason not to have another Bug thread, or is there subject/ thread limit that I'm unaware of?
No thread limit, and I didn't intend to imply that. I just wanted to connect you with all of those bug pilots if you didn't know they existed.

I love my bug. It fit's in a backpack, and can go anywhere. The launch height with the AG airfoil is impressive, and It's hard to beat for a nice sunset flight after work.
whizbo is offline Find More Posts by whizbo
Old May 22, 2014, 12:28 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,956 Posts
Flying a Bug is kind of like doing baitcasting fishing- on most casts, no bite, but when you finally get one, it's a hoot. Same goes for the Bug- short flights on most throws with the occasional big ride.

For some reason I've never been able to speck the Bug, but I think it's mostly because of my inefficient flying. The Bug is so much fun to fly because it's non-imposing, but it also isn't very forgiving of poor technique.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:43 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
1,956 Posts
Had a great flight and finally specked the Bug today. Not truly a speck, but high enough that I was starting to get that nervous feeling that all glider pilots know and love. Of course, speck height isn't that high for a Bug- it's a small model, and mine is covered in clear laminating film, so it's harder to see than otherwise. I'm guessing maybe 500'.

Love this little glider.