HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2013, 05:34 PM
Norwich, England
Joined Mar 2001
361 Posts
Discussion
Are all XYH made motors the same?

I am aware that the XYH made motors - particularly the "C" & "N" motors - are sold under a wide range of names but are they all the same?

http://en.xingyaohua.com/html/class/212.html
http://en.xingyaohua.com/html/class/213.html

The differences in colour etc are obvious but are the bearings/magnets/shafts etc all the same or are there differing qualities within the same casings?

Retail pricing for these motors varies by a factor of at least three!
ChrisE is offline Find More Posts by ChrisE
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2013, 06:54 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,360 Posts
The magnets are different. The N series are neodymium magnets. The C series aren't.‎
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Oct 12, 2013, 07:20 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,873 Posts
Really !? Very Nice ..is that even possible in this day and age ?
Even 6$ Chinese motors have Neo mags.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Oct 12, 2013, 07:42 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,690 Posts
I would think they would both have Neo magnets and the N series has higher quality Neo magnets than the less expensive C series.

Other distinctions on motor quality will be things like the lamination material quality and thickness and the quality of the bearings. The best motors now have 0,20mm laminations, good motors will have 0,35mm, some of the cheapest are even thicker still.

Here is one of the more interesting, to me anyway, and recent motor designs:

iFlight iPower MT5208-320KV Motor Mini-Review - www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1998429

That motor has a new stator design that has done away with the round hole/round bearing tube mounting (it has two matching flats in the stator and on the bearing tube), the stator has openings for cooling air flow, and the laminations are 0,2mm silicone steel. Magnets are SH45 Neo, very accurately and positively located. The bearings are Japanese made EZO bearings.

All in all, it always comes down to the fact that money can get you better motors and there will always be other making lower quality copies of the better motors. And then there will be people trying to sell the lower quailty motors at the same prices as the motors they copied...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Oct 13, 2013, 02:28 AM
Norwich, England
Joined Mar 2001
361 Posts
Thank you for that but it isn't quite what I meant. I realize that there are differences between the C & N motors but what about within C series and within N series?

I can buy a "C" series motor from lots of different places and in lots of different colours but are they all the same? Within a standard case you could have enormous variety of bits so I was wondering if the only difference was colour & price. If they can produce different colours they could fit different other bits.

Same for the "N" series.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 08:15 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,042 Posts
Of course they can modify everything & have it look just like the best model. & price it at the top.
Crooks & spammers in EVERYTHING SOLD.

Fact of life.

All of us have a little attitude about getting the best for less.

At 75 I know better sometimes. That is why I only buy with my GOOD credit cards. I can contest & get my money back. Pay Pal & others. NO WAY. No protection for me. Tried to get money back. Was PURE AGGRAVATION.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 13, 2013, 01:26 PM
Norwich, England
Joined Mar 2001
361 Posts
Pardon?

These motors are all made by one company but they then sell them to many middle men who presumably like them in different colours. There is no crookery or spamming involved at all.

I just asked if they varied in more than colour.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 03:31 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I am aware that the XYH made motors - particularly the "C" & "N" motors - are sold under a wide range of names but are they all the same?

http://en.xingyaohua.com/html/class/212.html
http://en.xingyaohua.com/html/class/213.html

The differences in colour etc are obvious but are the bearings/magnets/shafts etc all the same or are there differing qualities within the same casings?

Retail pricing for these motors varies by a factor of at least three!
I have bought quite a few of these motors under the EMP brand name, and 1 under the Neo brand. They have been, universally, good and a great value. It is my understanding that the difference between C and N motors is Japanese sourced (Nippon) and domestic sorced (Chinese) bearings. I think Leader Hobby sent me that info, but not for sure. I have both with equally good results.

I do know that they seem to handle rated wattage with no problems.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Oct 13, 2013, 07:29 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,066 Posts
These motors have very pretentious specifications.
Its maximum power is 5 watts per gram. in the series 3530/3536
The higher Kv, lower maximum power. That is not correct.

The N if they have stronger magnets, require fewer turns for the same kv respect to C.

H king was selling these in gold and were the most inefficient of all motor lines.

Manuel V.
manuel v is online now Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Jan 03, 2014, 02:25 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,222 Posts
I agree that 5 watts per gram is not sustainable.

I have not used many other motors than these (I have about 15 EMP), so maybe I am missing something

I was told by Leadershobby that the diff was the bearings between N and C units as noted by another poster. The magnets were noted as the same...

I have about 6 of these in pretty consistent use for over 3 years on powered gliders (so 30S runs). While maybe not the best efficiency compared to others, they are "good" enough and quite affordable. I generally use them at about 1/2 the power they are "rated" for as that max power number typically pushes them hard. Their efficiency is "better" at lower current than max as would be expected..

But, I have two EMP C3548 that I run at 50A, 4 Cell for 20-30Sec run. Very hot and I don't suggest it for normal use.
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Jan 03, 2014, 02:34 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
I agree that 5 watts per gram is not sustainable.

I have not used many other motors than these (I have about 15 EMP), so maybe I am missing something

I was told by Leadershobby that the diff was the bearings between N and C units as noted by another poster. The magnets were noted as the same...

I have about 6 of these in pretty consistent use for over 3 years on powered gliders (so 30S runs). While maybe not the best efficiency compared to others, they are "good" enough and quite affordable. I generally use them at about 1/2 the power they are "rated" for as that max power number typically pushes them hard. Their efficiency is "better" at lower current than max as would be expected..

But, I have two EMP C3548 that I run at 50A, 4 Cell for 20-30Sec run. Very hot and I don't suggest it for normal use.
I have been running a 3548 at 920 watts max for, at least, a year now. A qualifier is that it is fully exposed on the front end of a Stik but I don't baby it.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM