HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
Question
First FPV recomendations

I've been flying RC planes for a long time, so flying isn't something new but this is my first FPV build. What I've go so far is a Penguin from rmrc with a Immersionrc 600mw 5.8 vtx, Fatshark goggles, with 2 spiro antenna's. I also have an FY DOS and a Hornet osd, but I'm not planning on tiring to put in the DOS yet as I want to keep it as simple as possible but I am planning on using the hornet and GPS so I can have alt, speed and the rth arrow. I don't plan on going past 1/2 mile for a while. I have a 5000mah battery for power and I was going to use a separate 2200 2cell for the vtx and cam. My plans are to get a Dragonlink in the future but for now I have a AR8000 with a satellite on the tail fin. I also have a Gopro3 I plan to use, but not until I get a lot more confident. Do I have any problems with this setup? I know 2.4 for the radio isn't the best but when I start getting brave I plan on a UHF. Criticism welcome
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:47 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Your setup seems fine to me at the moment. Good idea on keeping it all simple at the momeny and not adding osd. Your 5.8 setup will get you 1/2 LOS at the moment so hook everything up and fly! Remeber that the 5.8 works best LOS, so dont try to fly behind stuff.

Why not hook up your fpv setup to your 5000mah battery as well? It will save you weight.
Wrice4 is offline Find More Posts by Wrice4
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:01 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrice4 View Post
Your setup seems fine to me at the moment. Good idea on keeping it all simple at the momeny and not adding osd. Your 5.8 setup will get you 1/2 LOS at the moment so hook everything up and fly! Remeber that the 5.8 works best LOS, so dont try to fly behind stuff.

Why not hook up your fpv setup to your 5000mah battery as well? It will save you weight.
I had a couple of 2 cell lipos I ordered by mistake so I thought if I used one I might get longer flight times, but because of the added weight I may not. I'll be at a big open field as I know 5.8 is the worst for penetration but one thing S Florida doesn't have is hills and I'll stay clear of trees
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:03 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstekeur View Post
I had a couple of 2 cell lipos I ordered by mistake so I thought if I used one I might get longer flight times, but because of the added weight I may not. I'll be at a big open field as I know 5.8 is the worst for penetration but one thing S Florida doesn't have is hills and I'll stay clear of trees
Sounds great man. Let us know how it turns out!
Wrice4 is offline Find More Posts by Wrice4
Old Apr 18, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrice4 View Post
Sounds great man. Let us know how it turns out!
I tried the vtx and goggles out when I first got it on a Parkzone Corsair, The takeoffs were ok but the landing were tough as it noses over really easy and I didn't want to break the cam or antenna so I gave up on that.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 05:21 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,123 Posts
Should be good. Spektrum gave me about 1 km distance before getting some failsafe with a DX7 and AR7000. Just don't go too far and take your time before venturing any distance past your usual LOS so if you gat a failsafe you can come back in range.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends