HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
Help!
Boat ESc Burned Out

Hi Guy's Hope Some one can Help me with this Problem , I have been Burning Out ESC every weekend and starting to feel the cost now.my latest Setup is as Follows:

29" Cat (Mystic)Made From Balsa and Plywood
ADS300XL Water-cooled Brushless Outrunner 3000kv 400w
40A Water Cooled Brushless Boat ESC
45mm Prop
3Cell 11.1V

Run the Boat for about 10 sec and Bob's my Uncle stopped .when I got it out of the water about 30 min later everything was Cool but nothings Working Must have Poped it again.
BulletRS is offline Find More Posts by BulletRS
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:40 PM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,987 Posts
Welcome to the forums,
Well, you have a small issue here... The ADS motor is on the tiny side for this boat (more like a 20" boat motor) and the prop is way too big for it. On 30" you should go for a motor starting from 3674 upwards, esc around 120A, batteries 4-5S 5000mAh, with props around 40mm. Some pictures of the boat will always help.
CornelP is online now Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:43 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
There's 3 or 4 threads for the same thing... no need to post the same thing over and over again.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:31 AM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornelP View Post
Welcome to the forums,
Well, you have a small issue here... The ADS motor is on the tiny side for this boat (more like a 20" boat motor) and the prop is way too big for it. On 30" you should go for a motor starting from 3674 upwards, esc around 120A, batteries 4-5S 5000mAh, with props around 40mm. Some pictures of the boat will always help.
Thanks .. Sorry these Might be Dum Questions but this is my first Rc boat I have Done and never been Into this .... I'm Sure I have a Problem with the Prop.. on the Motor You recommended i had a Look on the Hobby king web but this is not water cooled or do You get a Jacket for it ?.
another Question how much higher can You go with the ESC?

BulletRS is offline Find More Posts by BulletRS
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:39 PM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined May 2009
351 Posts
I have a couple boats and can tell you that the esc is too small and the prop is too big for that much kv. You can do a couple things.

You can put a much much much smaller prop.
You can buy a bigger ESC, as big as you want. A 120A might be good.
That motor is too small for a boat that big. Once you stop smoking your esc with a bigger one, and you run the motor for a couple minutes, you will probably smoke the motor.

That motor will push 33,000 rpm. My boat pushes 22,000 rpm with a much bigger motor and a much smaller prop.

boats will pull a lot of current at startup before you reach "the plane". Because you have too much kv and too big of a prop the speed control is seeing current spikes that are very large and that is why they are smoking.

You could also keep the setup the same and try a 2S battery. 7.4V. It still might be pulling too much current though, but the esc's will last longer.

Boats are tricky to figure out especially when you are trying to come up with your own combination. I spoked lots of speed controls like you until I figured this out.

Keep in mind, the esc only stays cool when the boat is going very fast so that the water can actually cool it. If you are doing a lot of start and stopping even a good setup will overheat.
hemiblas is offline Find More Posts by hemiblas
Last edited by hemiblas; Feb 11, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:52 PM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined May 2009
351 Posts
I saw from your other post that you are going to get a smaller prop. That should fix the problem. If you want to get more than 20-25 mph out of it then consider another bigger motor, but you can get that motor to work, it just may not give you the speed you want.

I always like to buy as big an esc as I can which is why I said 120A. if you buy a quality speed control a 60A would work, a non quality one then go 120A.
hemiblas is offline Find More Posts by hemiblas
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:21 AM
Gordonsville,Virginia
Joined Nov 2009
335 Posts
Make sure your batteries are adequite .More ESC are burned up because of poor batteries then most people think .
highflyerbill is offline Find More Posts by highflyerbill
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:39 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
It's a tiny outrunner (~450 heli sized, about what I run in my 16" jet boat) with a big prop and small ESC, I don't think the batteries are to blame right now.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons