HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:26 AM
Edubarca
Edubarca's Avatar
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,065 Posts
Help!
Removing burnt castor oil from glow engine's head

Hello my fellow modellers, Anybody out there knows a product, that can remove the burnt castor oil (yellowish hard substance adhered to the engine's head) which cannot easily be removed with ordinary solvents like thinner, kerosene, gasoline etc.? I still use glow engines and stay away from electrics, for the time being at least, but that's another story. Thanks for your help!!

Eduardo
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:37 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
1320fastback's Avatar
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,202 Posts
Automotive Antifreeze simmering in a Crock Pot will do it.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:39 AM
Edubarca
Edubarca's Avatar
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,065 Posts
Thanks!! What on earth is a "Crock Pot"???
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:42 AM
Hatters gonna hat.
madbomber's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Maybe you call them a slow cooker?
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:41 AM
Registered User
Norm Furutani's Avatar
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,041 Posts
I just started using Dawn Power Dissolver and it works very well in removing baked on oil. You spray it on, use a toothbrush to scub then rinse off with water. The water part is my only hesitation, so either run the engine or disassemble to dry thoroughly.

It's a little difficult to find but available at Walmart, Ace and online.

http://www.amazon.com/Procter-Gamble.../dp/B000I1A8QW


- Norm
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:57 AM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
CashRC's Avatar
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Furutani View Post
I just started using Dawn Power Dissolver and it works very well in removing baked on oil. You spray it on, use a toothbrush to scub then rinse off with water. The water part is my only hesitation, so either run the engine or disassemble to dry thoroughly.

It's a little difficult to find but available at Walmart, Ace and online.

http://www.amazon.com/Procter-Gamble.../dp/B000I1A8QW


- Norm
I'll back Norm up, Dawn Power Dissolver is all I use. Be careful on painted surfaces, for instance the painted heads on some McCoy's but other than that, it's great!!
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:40 PM
Edubarca
Edubarca's Avatar
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,065 Posts
Thanks for suggestions. Unfortunately, this product is not available here in Colombia and is not easy to import. It will come out very expensive due to shipping costs. I will try local oven cleaners. Perhaps they will do the job.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:25 AM
Registered User
John Moore's Avatar
Southern Spain
Joined Nov 2003
231 Posts
Most oven cleaners contain Sodium and/or Potassium Hydroxide.
These chemicals rapidly dissolve Aluminium. If you wish to destroy your engine go ahead with Oven Cleaners. Why ignore the valid suggestion to use hot automobile anti-freeze?. (Ethylene Glycol). Clarence Lee used to recommend this method!.
John Moore is offline Find More Posts by John Moore
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:24 AM
Edubarca
Edubarca's Avatar
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moore View Post
Most oven cleaners contain Sodium and/or Potassium Hydroxide.
These chemicals rapidly dissolve Aluminium. If you wish to destroy your engine go ahead with Oven Cleaners. Why ignore the valid suggestion to use hot automobile anti-freeze?. (Ethylene Glycol). Clarence Lee used to recommend this method!.
Hi John, No, I'm not ignoring the antifreeze suggestion. It is simply that here in Colombia, we have no seasons so we never have the need for adding antifreeze liquids to our cars thus is not available. Being a total ignorant in chemistry, what other compounds uses Ethylene Glycol but are easily available everywhere in the world??
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:19 AM
Registered User
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,592 Posts
Saw where the anti-freeze suggestion was going a few posts back. Strange how the road to hell is paved with good intentions, manage to miss the keyboard with the coffee splutter.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:04 AM
Registered User
John Moore's Avatar
Southern Spain
Joined Nov 2003
231 Posts
Eduardo, The problem of removing baked castor from our engines has been around for decades. Dennis Allen asked me if I could find a solution to the problem in the early 60's!. The problem is that the products that would remove
Castor varnish easily also attack Aluminium and it's alloys. Hence my comments concerning oven cleaners.
Your question concerning products that contain Ethylene Glycol will not help.For the hot antifreeze procedure to work it has to be neat Ethyene Glycol.
I don't know whether any of your local airfields still have some in stock, but in the days of liquid cooled engines, glycol was the coolant. Perhaps you could ask!.
The other product that may help is gel type paint stripper. I believe the active ingredient in them is Methylene Chloride. Because this solvent has a high rate of evaporation, it is incorporated in a gel, a) to slow down the evaporation, and b) to allow the product to adhere to vertical surfaces to allow the paint to soften.
Try immersing your cylinder head in a screw top jar (metal lid!) containing the stripper, for a day or two, or as long as it takes to soften. Check that there is no reaction with the Aluminium. When soft, brush the residue away under hot water.
Good luck!

John
John Moore is offline Find More Posts by John Moore
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:45 PM
Edubarca
Edubarca's Avatar
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,065 Posts
Thank you very much John, you are very kind. I'll see what I can find and let you know.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:48 AM
Registered User
Gluehand's Avatar
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,810 Posts
Hi Eduardo,

In my world, the most successful method so far, is the so called "crockpot" treatment.
I have no "crockpot" though....as the photo shows, I use an electric stove with a simple thermostat, plus a thermometer, which enables me to tune the thermostat to keep the temperature at optimal level, which is about 80-90C (175-195 F), in about 6-8 H.
The Ethyene Glycol should be concentrated, not diluted.

The temperature range mentioned above, provides good efficiency without giving off too much nasty fumes...
There will be some fumes present though, so good ventilation is recommended.

This method works great !
After "cooking", all castor oil has converted to a kind of "crumbs" easily removed with a tooth brush, in hot water.

This treatment does not affect aluminium and steel parts at all.

I use to omit brass parts, due to the build up of a greyish coat, that has to be polished away.
Also, anodized and painted parts shouldn't be "cooked" in this bath.





I'm aware that ultrason treatment is very clean and efficient, but the price tag of such equipment has so far had a deterrent effect on me...

.
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:05 AM
Greggles47
greggles47's Avatar
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
Hi Eduardo,

In my world, the most successful method so far, is the so called "crockpot" treatment.
I have no "crockpot" though....as the photo shows, I use an electric stove with a simple thermostat, plus a thermometer, which enables me to tune the thermostat to keep the temperature at optimal level, which is about 80-90C (175-195 F), in about 6-8 H.
The Ethyene Glycol should be concentrated, not diluted.

The temperature range mentioned above, provides good efficiency without giving off too much nasty fumes...
There will be some fumes present though, so good ventilation is recommended.

This method works great !
After "cooking", all castor oil has converted to a kind of "crumbs" easily removed with a tooth brush, in hot water.

This treatment does not affect aluminium and steel parts at all.

I use to omit brass parts, due to the build up of a greyish coat, that has to be polished away.
Also, anodized and painted parts shouldn't be "cooked" in this bath.





I'm aware that ultrason treatment is very clean and efficient, but the price tag of such equipment has so far had a deterrent effect on me...

.
If you use this method, DO NOT use the pot for cooking food after brewing up the glycol. WE need all the modellers we have.

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:52 AM
Registered User
Gluehand's Avatar
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggles47 View Post
If you use this method, DO NOT use the pot for cooking food after brewing up the glycol.
!

I can promise that..!
This pot is a flea market find, never ever getting close to the kitchen....

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion How do I remove baked on castor oil u2builder Engines 33 Mar 29, 2014 08:19 PM
Help! Burnt on Castor Removal Wing-span Engines 43 Oct 08, 2007 09:27 PM
What's a good way to remove burnt castor oil on the muffler? tridim Engines 32 Nov 14, 2006 08:02 AM
Removing Castor Oil from Wood? Brill 1 Fuel Plane Talk 12 Jan 27, 2004 03:04 PM