Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:08 PM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
Question
HK covering film

Not sure if this is the right forum as it seems to be the HK whine and argue forum.

Need to buy some covering film and my experience is only with solarfilm.

Does anyone have any personal experience with HK branded stuff, particularly how it fares in the summer?

Have searched the site but not much info (mainly interspersed with "I hate Chinese junk", "down with HK").
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum as it seems to be the HK whine and argue forum.

Does anyone have any personal experience with HK branded stuff, particularly how it fares in the summer?

Have searched the site but not much info (mainly interspersed with "I hate Chinese junk", "down with HK").
I have found their covering to work well. It shapes well, sticks to the wood/foam, held up all summer for me on a nitro powered ugly stick with minimal warp. This is however the only plane I have covered with their covering.

I hope you find the answer you are looking for without a bunch of people jumping in to tell you how great or bad this company is.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:44 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,699 Posts
Magrat,
Do a google search for 'hobbyking covering film' There are a number of threads from other forums about it. In general, they like it.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:

You are right it appears some people prefer to argue with other RCG users instead of discussing the topic. I assume you checked the reviews at the HK site. There is no shortage of 5 crown reviews and discussions about their film over there. I didnt see ANY bad reviews about the film or any hate about chinese junk or HK. Of course if there was it probably would have been deleted by HK. From reading the reviews It sounds to me like it's the best film you can buy at the lowest price anywhere. They do charge for extra large box shipping on the film but if you need a lot it may be worth it.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:43 PM
Intentionally left blank
Joined Aug 2005
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
I have found their covering to work well. It shapes well, sticks to the wood/foam, held up all summer for me on a nitro powered ugly stick with minimal warp. This is however the only plane I have covered with their covering.
Seems to be the general opinion; haven taken Hoppy's advice.

Pros: Easy to apply, conforms well to shapes, good shrink, low temperature, adequate colour density on solids
Cons: Limited colour range, low hot tack strength (pulls the seams if it gets too hot), possibly too much shrink if you don't use right temperatures, glue colour can be problematical with edge bleed, backing film can be a cow to release (true for most film without a formed edge) .

I was mostly concerned how it would react in summer. My solarfilm tends to loosen whilst sitting in the sun on a hot day so that an open structure wing looks like it was covered by a shopping bag, not sure how the HK stuff will fare. Couldn't find any comments on long term use.

Will give it a go. Was interested in the sealing iron to replace my aged one but it only seems to come with the wrong plug type and no C-tick for oz.

Valanti: The pros and cons are mentioned on HK site. What one sees may depend on the filter one uses.
Magrat is offline Find More Posts by Magrat
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Valanti: The pros and cons are mentioned on HK site. What one sees may depend on the filter one uses.
I use NO filters. The filtering is done with HK's delete button.
5 crown, Not.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
I use NO filters. The filtering is done with HK's delete button.
5 crown, Not.
AAAAAND here we go...
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Hobbyking where/are a solarfilm distributor. This has led me to speculate on who is manuafacturing their own label product. Solarfilm with some production changes? Probable if solarfilm is now manufactured in China or somewhere in the orient.

No real complaint except to suggest that their frosted white or whatever they call it was not a frosted white transparent in my experience but a clear film instead.
barrymore is offline Find More Posts by barrymore