Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby1 View Post
Hi Guys.... I now have 13 of these KK2.0 boards, yes you read correctly, 13......Cheers, Smithy.
13 is an unlucky number. Time to build one more
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:28 PM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
This may sound like a stupid question, but have you flashed the firmware yet? All boards so far come with v1.2 or earlier, and the self-level in those versions is broken.

I also saw a video within the last week where the guy mentions some manual calibration to get it to come off the ground straight every time. If I find the video, I will edit this post to link to it.
I posted my settings and a video a while back. I flashed to 1.5 and made a few changes from defaults. It flew very nice on the first flight.
A lot of it has to do with your xmtr trims also.
harrym is offline Find More Posts by harrym
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:39 PM
Australia, NSW, Bradbury
Joined Dec 2007
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
13 is an unlucky number. Time to build one more
You're right Jose, ...am building another this week for a newbie, all going well it should be finished tomorrow afternoon..

Cheers,
Smithy.
knobby1 is offline Find More Posts by knobby1
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:39 PM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
334 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to get the gimbal to work without the throttle being above idle?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:46 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrym View Post
Has anyone figured out how to get the gimbal to work without the throttle being above idle?
You can always just pull one of the three legs of each motor wire and then throttle up.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:57 PM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
You can always just pull one of the three legs of each motor wire and then throttle up.
Ok! Take it one step further and make the gimbal work with no receiver.
I want to use the KK2 only for gimbal with no receiver attached.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
This may sound like a stupid question, but have you flashed the firmware yet? All boards so far come with v1.2 or earlier, and the self-level in those versions is broken.

I also saw a video within the last week where the guy mentions some manual calibration to get it to come off the ground straight every time. If I find the video, I will edit this post to link to it.
Yes, I'm running 1.4 now. With the stock firmware, self-level worked great for about a month, and that's the ONLY way I flew it. Then suddenly every time I went to take off it would flip over - manual or self-level modes. That turned out to be a poor bullet connector solder from the factory (not KK related). When I found and solved that problem, it flew a handful more times with self-level just fine. But out of nowhere the problem with self-level started, where it would want to flip over again. This time I could fly it in manual mode just fine, unlike before, so it wasn't esc/motor/prop related. So I flew manual only until I got my update cable after 1.2 was released, and suddenly I could get off the ground in self-level mode again, only it wants to fly forward and to the right. If I give it the opposite stick input (back/left) I can keep it mostly under control. 1.4 update didn't change this. So I only fly manual, still.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:05 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Ok! Take it one step further and make the gimbal work with no receiver.
I want to use the KK2 only for gimbal with no receiver attached.
OpenAero firmware does that out of the box.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post23179218
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:11 PM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
OpenAero firmware does that out of the box.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post23179218
Yah, After I posted I thought about OpenAero.
I was hoping to do it without having to flash.

Thanks!
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:32 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Yah, After I posted I thought about OpenAero.
I was hoping to do it without having to flash.

Thanks!
Becareful where and whom you flash. That's illegal in some parts :
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Don't throw the board away! Find a friend who can do fine soldering to fix it for you.

Maybe post a picture of the damage here on this thread and ask for volunteers.

I'll pay shipping for it before you throw it away!
please see posts# 7246 7262

I'm in the dominican republic and I guess I own the only 2 KK2 in the whole country jaja
I wasn't planning on throing it away, I thought on keeping it for spare parts if ever needed.
If you know how to fix please tell me, shipping to the states is more expensive than a new one.
alumina is offline Find More Posts by alumina
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:53 PM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjose View Post
Becareful where and whom you flash. That's illegal in some parts :
Yah, even spittin' on the sidewalk is illegal here!

Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:45 PM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Worcester UK
Joined Nov 2004
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
Anyone flying their KK2 FPV yet? I'm hesitant to put mine under that much demand as of yet.
Yep, both of these were done with 1.2fw though:

Tractor Time - RCExplorer - Tricopter - FPV (2 min 53 sec)

Salt and Rock 2012 (4 min 31 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seibernator View Post
Yeah, I have. The self-level feature is great on the KK2 with version 1.4 firmware. It holds your hand if you are relatively new to FPV. My tricopter is as steady as a rock with the KK2 which is handy if you are still learning.
I agree seibernator, i now have 1.5 on my kk2 and self level just makes it so easy although it's harder to fly fast as you are kind of fighting the self level.

Hey seib i'm only a stones throw from you, where do you fly?
crezzee is offline Find More Posts by crezzee
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:52 PM
HeliHarry
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2006
334 Posts
I had my first electrical glitch and thought I'd share this.

Crashed the Quadnid. Broke a prop and split #3 wooden arm at the center plate.
Quick fix and the airframe was flyable again, but #3 motor would not spin.
Swapped esc's with #4, still no rotation.
Pulled #3 motor & checked continuity of all 3 phases.
One phase read open.
I pulled the motor apart and in doing so the circlip on the shaft broke and one of the bullet connectors fell off.
Luckily I found a spare circlip in my junk box. Soldered the bullet back on and all is well!

It seems that when the solder is wicked up the wire when soldering the bullet, the wire becomes brittle where the wicking stops.
You can feel this through the insulation. Any stress at this point will break the wire. Mine happened to break right at the bullet.

If you question a motor it's pretty easy to check the phases with an ohm meter.
You should have "0" ohms between any of the 3 motor wires. If you read nothing or infinity you have a broken wire.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:00 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
Yes, I'm running 1.4 now. With the stock firmware, self-level worked great for about a month, and that's the ONLY way I flew it. Then suddenly every time I went to take off it would flip over - manual or self-level modes. That turned out to be a poor bullet connector solder from the factory (not KK related). When I found and solved that problem, it flew a handful more times with self-level just fine. But out of nowhere the problem with self-level started, where it would want to flip over again. This time I could fly it in manual mode just fine, unlike before, so it wasn't esc/motor/prop related. So I flew manual only until I got my update cable after 1.2 was released, and suddenly I could get off the ground in self-level mode again, only it wants to fly forward and to the right. If I give it the opposite stick input (back/left) I can keep it mostly under control. 1.4 update didn't change this. So I only fly manual, still.
If it were me and I got no better advice, I would copy down all my non-default settings (for reference) and start over, flashing 1.5 and doing calibration and safe tuning without referring to your previous settings, then try auto-level before spending a lot of time tuning. I might even start by carefully reflowing the solder connections on the board. All gyro, accel, and CPU connections, but I am good at soldering.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff