HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:32 PM
SpliceMILK, BeverlyHills,CA
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
Question
Alex XXL, anyone familiar with the plane?

I saw this on 2.5m (100 inches) plane on the i-care.com website

http://www.icare-rc.com/Alex%20xxl.htm

and I was wondering if it was a "floater".....
I'm looking for warmLiner speeds', and relaxing
soaring/gliding type of plane....
I've had the Radian, Radian PRO, Cularis 2.6m, and I was
looking at the next step....

I would like setups if possible if you guys are familiar with this great bird.
Im not looking for 100mph speeds here, just a great plane to step up to.

Thank You much

p.s.
someone mentioned that its the same plane as the Ion? or some other plane
Soaring USA sells?
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:15 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,401 Posts
Think this is the same sailplane as the SUSA "Spider"

http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...bstring=Spider

I bought an Alex XXL from Icare, too last summer. I am embarrassed to admit it, but still haven't flown mine. Want to maiden it first at a big field. Been too busy flying a new Pulsar 3.2m floater.

There is an old thread on the Spider/Alexx here in high performance. Lots of pictures (including my build).
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620935
One other note, the version Etiene sells is the "kevlar" version. Spider sold by SUSA appears to have more carbon.

beautiful bird, the Alexx, but the newer Orion may replace it
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=266

here are some pictures of my Alexx, Etiene at icare is nice to deal with. I picked up my Alexx in person, in Montreal
320pilot is online now Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 07, 2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:29 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
Which is more 2.4ghz friendly? the kevlar or the Carbon?

what is D-box? vs CarbonFiber?

also, difficult to assemble? room inside? Im wanting a warmliner with long flight times for gliding around.

This motor? Scorpion 3020-700kv/890kv Range.
with 3s-4000mah? fitment?
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Which is more 2.4ghz friendly? the kevlar or the Carbon?
Kevlar is probably more 2.4 friendly, but I would still extend antenna wires outside fuse (see first picture below)
Quote:
what is D-box? vs CarbonFiber?
D box is a construction technique for leading edge of a wing. Carbon Fiber in a wing, or fuselage makes it stronger, without adding too much weight. CF can also block radio signals, see above.
Quote:
difficult to assemble ?
If it is your first composite build, yes it is difficult to assemble. You have to drill tunnels in the wing for linkage from servos (in wing) to each control surface. I had Dave Hauch build the airframe for me, he does excellent work. www.RC-Builds.com

Quote:
This motor? Scorpion 3020-700kv/890kv Range.
with 3s-4000mah? fitment?
Don't know the Scorpion motors, I have a Neu 1509/1.5D/6.7GB with a Phoenix 125 esc, 16X10 RFM carbon prop in mine. Initially fly it on TP 3S-3800-45C LiPo. 4s would fit, too.

Quote:
Im wanting a warmliner with long flight times for gliding around.
for long flight times, and fast climb to altitude (5000 FPM!) I've been flying a Pulsar 3.2 lately. In a 20 second motor run, the Pulsar climbs 1800 feet! After that in calm wind (no thermals) you have 20-25 minutes to float back to your field. It has balsa/carbon built up wings, still quite strong. Much easier build than an Alexx, but not a warmliner for high speed dives, or aerobatics. Very floaty
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 07, 2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 02:46 AM
Joined Sep 2009
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
Kevlar is probably more 2.4 friendly, but I would still extend antenna wires outside fuse (see first picture below)

D box is a construction technique for leading edge of a wing. Carbon Fiber in a wing, or fuselage makes it stronger, without adding too much weight. CF can also block radio signals, see above.

If it is your first composite build, yes it is difficult to assemble. You have to drill tunnels in the wing for linkage from servos (in wing) to each control surface. I had Dave Hauch build the airframe for me, he does excellent work. www.RC-Builds.com

Don't know the Scorpion motors, I have a Neu 1509/1.5D/6.7GB with a Phoenix 125 esc, 16X10 RFM carbon prop in mine. Initially fly it on TP 3S-3800-45C LiPo. 4s would fit, too.

for long flight times, and fast climb to altitude (5000 FPM!) I've been flying a Pulsar 3.2 lately. In a 20 second motor run, the Pulsar climbs 1800 feet! After that in calm wind (no thermals) you have 20-25 minutes to float back to your field. It has balsa/carbon built up wings, still quite strong. Much easier build than an Alexx, but not a warmliner for high speed dives, or aerobatics. Very floaty
As far as I recall, the wings are hollow, except for main spar so can't see how you need to drill a tunnel to route the wires. The route for the likage to the surface horn are done with a Dremel and covering area to be cut with masking tape to mark and aoid damage in surrounding areas.

See http://www.acemodel.co.uk/alex-xxl-e...w/info_23.html

I used a Mega 22/30/3E driving a 13X7/8 prop on a 3 cell 2250 Li po. more than enough power and no gearbox to add to problems. The Hyperion GS 3025 range would also be a good choice
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Last edited by Essex BOF; Sep 08, 2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Modify
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:03 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,401 Posts
Essex BOF, thanks for your remarks..and the link
It just sounded like the OP had only built EPO sailplanes before, so a composite ship like the Alex might be "difficult to assemble".
Quote:
The route for the linkage to the surface horn are done with a Dremel and covering area to be cut with masking tape to mark and avoid damage in surrounding areas.
Just wondered, if you are still flying your Alex. Where is your C of G and what is the distance from trailing edge of stabilator to bottom of rudder, for in-trim at launch?
As in picture below.
I figure if C of G and stab trim are set right, I can handle anything else on the maiden

thanks
ps. here is a page with some setup data
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1248223
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 08, 2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined Sep 2009
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
Essex BOF, thanks for your remarks..and the link
It just sounded like the OP had only built EPO sailplanes before, so a composite ship like the Alex might be "difficult to assemble".

Just wondered, if you are still flying your Alex. Where is your C of G and what is the distance from trailing edge of stabilator to bottom of rudder, for in-trim at launch?
As in picture below.
I figure if C of G and stab trim are set right, I can handle anything else on the maiden

thanks
ps. here is a page with some setup data
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1248223
No I do not have it any more, it is on it,s 4th owner at the present time, not bad as I flew it in 2007 passed on in 2008. Cannot comment to much on the CG and such now as it was a long time ago. Boy could it penetrate when required in virtually any wind speed.
Essex BOF is offline Find More Posts by Essex BOF
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:23 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,401 Posts
Ok, I think I found the info I need back in the Alex thread in High Performance.

ps. getting the Alexx ready for the maiden, did a bunch of Tx programming today. Moved LiPo around to get proper 87mm C of G.
If I get my 16X10 RFM prop in time, could maiden on Saturday. AUW flying weight with TP-3S-3800-45C Lipo is 2293 gms, or 80.8 ounces
Now have to put receiver back in fuse (and route antenna wires outside), then program ESC for brake, etc.

Recheck C of g, charge up LiPo, and do a test run of motor to make sure prop runs in correct direction.

here is a picture I just took
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 08, 2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:29 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,205 Posts
Can't wait for your test flight.....
if you hate it, sell it to me
Old Sep 09, 2011, 06:12 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,401 Posts
I won't hate it Just wonder if I can safely fly it at my local field.
I spent all day yesterday setting up the Futaba 8FG Tx , checking butterfly, aileron travel, flap-elev mix etc. I was all set to finally glue on servo covers, and route antenna wires out of fuse today.
Decided it was time to charge the brand new, big TP 3S-3800-45C LiPo for a motor test run.
Well, it wouldn't take a charge! For some reason (internal short?) voltage is 1.25 volts. No sign of "puff" or any damage. Brand New, never used. So I will call Thunder Power today. This means I don't have a large capacity LiPo for a maiden flight this weekend. It needs a big LiPo for the C of G, too.
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:39 PM
Joined Aug 2004
757 Posts
Hey anyone
I just got a Spider/Alex 2.5. My question is....Are all of the recommended setup numbers the same for the non-E version?
I can't find the info for non-E spider.
Thanks,
Erik
jetdryvr is offline Find More Posts by jetdryvr
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,401 Posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:06 PM
Joined Aug 2004
757 Posts
jetdryvr is offline Find More Posts by jetdryvr
Last edited by jetdryvr; Sep 10, 2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:58 AM
Joined Mar 2009
2,401 Posts
jetdryvr
this was all I could find, hence the *** when I removed my post

http://www.nanmodels.com/

then click on Gliders, then 2,6m Alex XXL