HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:44 AM
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
I am just finishing the assembly on my blue FMS182 (I had to wait a few months for my replacement rudder to arrive, the original was completely warped). Mine came only with the ailerons installed, so I added the servo's for the flaps myself.

I just did a quick check, and it seems I would have to add quite some lead (+ 40gr or 1,4 ounces) to the nose to make it balance on 6cm (2,4 inches) from the leading edge. The included FMS battery 3S-2200mah weighs 177grams (6,2 ounces) and is placed against the firewall, and the receiver ( 7gr) is directly behind it.

At what point do you have your CG?

Because everything is stock, except for the flap servo's, I am curious why I need that much lead to make it balance.
David_BE is offline Find More Posts by David_BE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 03:15 PM
Beaverton, Oregon
Joined Jul 2003
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_BE View Post
I am just finishing the assembly on my blue FMS182 (I had to wait a few months for my replacement rudder to arrive, the original was completely warped). Mine came only with the ailerons installed, so I added the servo's for the flaps myself.

I just did a quick check, and it seems I would have to add quite some lead (+ 40gr or 1,4 ounces) to the nose to make it balance on 6cm (2,4 inches) from the leading edge. The included FMS battery 3S-2200mah weighs 177grams (6,2 ounces) and is placed against the firewall, and the receiver ( 7gr) is directly behind it.

Because everything is stock, except for the flap servo's, I am curious why I need that much lead to make it balance.
I'm on my second FMS C182 and had the same experience with the CG. I had to add nose weight with both of them. The first 182 had the old rigid nose strut. Because it would bend easily, I soon replaced it with a beefier (heavier) unit, which allowed me to remove some of the dead weight to achieve the right CG.

My second 182 is the newer model with the spring-loaded nose gear. Same deal, though. I still had to add some dead weight to the nose to get the CG right.

It's no matter, though. The 182 handles extra weight very well. I've always flown mine with TWO 3S 2200mah pack in parallel for longer flight times. The extra loading makes the plane extremely smooth and stable, even in choppy, gusty winds. It still rolls and loops, and takes off and lands beautifully. I generally stick to scale-like flying, though.

Bottom line: Just add weight as needed to get the right CG, then go fly. I think you'll be impressed with what a great flying plane it is.

Good luck.

-- Rod
rrobbins is offline Find More Posts by rrobbins
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:32 AM
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
Thanks for your reply!

I always try to get the CG correct without adding weight, but in this case it does not seem possible. It is good to know that it will not affect the flying characteristics too much.

The maiden flight is planned for next weekend, I will post an update :-)

Best regards,
David
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:51 AM
WiFi Thom
United States, OH, Elyria
Joined Oct 2012
183 Posts
[QUOTE=David_BE;28953453]I am just finishing the assembly on my blue FMS182 (I had to wait a few months for my replacement rudder to arrive, the original was completely warped). Mine came only with the ailerons installed, so I added the servo's for the flaps myself.

Because everything is stock, except for the flap servo's, I am curious why I need that much lead to make it balance.[/QUO

I had to add 3 oz on the metal motor mount to balance. This is my second 182 after hundreds of flights on the first, it had 2 oz in the nose. This one also has MR RC sound in it with one TT25 transducer in front of the CG and one behind it. I too had a warped rudder and Motion sent a second which was not as bad but still warped. Mt first 182 was my favorite plane to fly but this one is not. It always fly's a little crabbed because of the warped rudder and that always bothers me as I am typically trying to fly scale. Sound wise it is awesome though as it can be heard a couple hundred feet away. I tried the hot water tip that motion suggested to straighten out the rudder, but to no avail. After closer examination I believe the plastic tube to strengthen it and run the beacon light wires through is bad. it is either bowed or put in at an angle. I also like the master airscrew 3 blade prop on this plane. I also took some tips from Killer Planes. The nose gear was always a weak link busting off, bending or crushing the foam behind it. That always looked bad and would take away from the scale appearance as I would end up cutting the crushed foam away and adding a piece of ply to strengthen it. What I did on this plane was drill 2, 1/16 inch holes from the plastic nose wheel retainer, that is attached to the foam, to the corners of plastic battery cover retainer and 1, 1/16 hole in the center of plastic nose wheel retainer nearest the servo linkage straight back to the plastic battery cover retainer and then glued in 3, 1/16 carbon fiber rods. WOW what a difference in rigidity that made. If it wasn't for the rudder trouble this would be a great plane now.....
tbeller is online now Find More Posts by tbeller
Old Jul 20, 2014, 07:10 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,795 Posts
I had a warped rudder too, so I glued a flat piece of carbon fiber rod to the trailing edge of the rudder. Problem solved. It didnt effect the flight when it was warped, I just didn't like looking at it. You should easily be able to trim out any effect that bow has on the flying behavior.

-CC
Cubcrazy is offline Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 03:17 PM
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
I too tried to straighten the rudder, with hot air, fixation and an oracover iron. It did not straighten out, and the appearance was not good any more. I did get a replacement for free (took 4 months :s) but I did found out that replacement parts can also be ordered (and aren't that expensive). The time I wasted on trying to get it 'unwarped' could have been better spent.

I like the ease of build, price and quick repairs of foamies. I am on my fourth model, but I have yet to buy one that is as straight as my old balsa models. This one looks ok, so I'm curious for the maiden flight :-)