HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 719 86.00%
were just asking for too much 117 14.00%
Voters: 836. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined Mar 2014
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk View Post
That's a GREAT start but I suggest you keep using both Champ and T-28. Fly the Champ first to warm up, then fly the T-28. I did that trick for a few years before I got comfortable enough that I could fly any of my planes in any order. It's not just the comfort level it's also about muscle memory. That's why athletes exercise and stretch out before an event. The brain and fingers need the same. Also, there will be days when you decide the Champ is difficult, and that will make the T-28 essentially impossible, and you'll probably decide to not fly it.
It's weird how it's like that!
I played drums for about 30 years till I busted my shoulder up weightlifting, but I remember I just never knew if I was going to have a good day playing. Some days I'd go down to play on my kit, and was tired, and amazed myself how well I played. Other days I had bundles of energy and just could not have a good jam session.

So, yeah, flying planes is like that too. I was telling my 83 year-old Dad (who flies with me), that some days I just "don't have it" when flying…that my plane/transmitter coordination just isn't working. But other days I go out there and it's just awesome. And you never know when it's going to be a good day or a bad day. I've flown on really windy days and had great flights, and then had nice calm days and had wreck after wreck. Go figure….
smittyboy is online now Find More Posts by smittyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
... some days I just "don't have it" when flying…that my plane/transmitter coordination just isn't working.
The more I fly, the -easier- it has become to *NOT* fly on a particular day. It takes 35-40 mins to get to the 'real' field, so it's not trivial. I -wanna- fly. But I know that if I also wanna fly -next- week, and not spend that whole week REBUILDING something, it's better to not fly 'today.' It's been a very long time since I wrecked a plane very badly and I think it's the 'not today' days that help that. Oh on those days it's not that I don't fly at all because I always bring two or three planes, but it'll be the most difficult, sensitive or fragile ones that I decline to fly. Given the choice, some days it's Champ for sure, T-28 mmm.... maybe, Sbach no way.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM
Registered Newbie
Joined Jul 2014
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
It's weird how it's like that!
I played drums for about 30 years till I busted my shoulder up weightlifting, but I remember I just never knew if I was going to have a good day playing. Some days I'd go down to play on my kit, and was tired, and amazed myself how well I played. Other days I had bundles of energy and just could not have a good jam session.

So, yeah, flying planes is like that too. I was telling my 83 year-old Dad (who flies with me), that some days I just "don't have it" when flying…that my plane/transmitter coordination just isn't working. But other days I go out there and it's just awesome. And you never know when it's going to be a good day or a bad day. I've flown on really windy days and had great flights, and then had nice calm days and had wreck after wreck. Go figure….
I know exactly what you mean! I played bass in bands for years and I learned that the more relaxed and confident I felt, the more likely I was to have a bad night. That alone made me a little nervous before every show so I rarely didn't feel some stage-fright.

It's the same with rc flying for me. The more confident I feel, the worse I do. I've been flying my umx P-51D and T-28 lately and last night--feeling very relaxed and confident--I found out how fast the P51 can go vertical. Straight down this plane can make a lot of speed. Crunched it up pretty good but an hour repair time and it flies fine.

My moral: Don't get so relaxed as to make myself complacent.
BlukeSky is online now Find More Posts by BlukeSky