New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2015, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by Frostback
Joined Mar 2015
38 Posts
Hi guys. Just picked up a habu s and a hitec x1. I was wondering what settings I should use to charge the eflite 2s 7.4v 200mAH 30c lipos. I was using 0.2 amps. Just don't want to burn the place down.
Frostback is offline Find More Posts by Frostback
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2015, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
Hi guys. Just picked up a habu s and a hitec x1. I was wondering what settings I should use to charge the eflite 2s 7.4v 200mAH 30c lipos. I was using 0.2 amps. Just don't want to burn the place down.
That's a very standard 1C charge rate. Safe and nothing to worry about. But with any LiPo charging system, don't trust it 100%. They can and do fail at times.
heli-headcase is offline Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Old May 09, 2015, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,138 Posts
Just picked up the S version of the Habu yesterday. First things I did was to switch to Mini Deans plugs as that's what I use on my other micros. Second switched the Velcro around with the hooked side in the fuse. I'll give 'er a test burn today.
Anybody modded it to look like a real jet?? Was thinking of the T33 or P80 Shooting star.
I can't leave things alone.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old May 10, 2015, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by LowlyElevated
Team PeasantCopter... kind of.
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Just picked up the S version of the Habu yesterday. First things I did was to switch to Mini Deans plugs as that's what I use on my other micros. Second switched the Velcro around with the hooked side in the fuse. I'll give 'er a test burn today.
Anybody modded it to look like a real jet?? Was thinking of the T33 or P80 Shooting star.
I can't leave things alone.

Gord.
not a bad idea, that. if I were good at that sort of thing, I'd give it a try....
LowlyElevated is offline Find More Posts by LowlyElevated
Old May 10, 2015, 07:20 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,138 Posts
I'll put a few more flights on it to get a good handle on it then hack away at it.
I'll put up a few pics if you like to show the progress.
I want to hand launch it minus the landing gear, but I don't like the way the ail horns stick down in the grass. First thing is to make plastic covers for the pushrods and horns.

Gord.
Last edited by flypaper 2; May 10, 2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old May 10, 2015, 11:15 PM
Joined Mar 2015
38 Posts
Finally got to fly the habu s this weekend. The charger in the box is messed and keeps giving me the error blinkers so I went and got an x1.

This thing is amazingly easy to fly. A single soccer field is plenty of room..... lots of turning tho. Had to bring it in after a battery and a half. I blinded myself in the sun and didn't want to hit any of the baseball kids at the other end.
Old May 11, 2015, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by OldRCNut
Still Flying
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Mar 2013
184 Posts
Quote:
I'll put a few more flights on it to get a good handle on it then hack away at it.
I'll put up a few pics if you like to show the progress.
I want to hand launch it minus the landing gear, but I don't like the way the ail horns stick down in the grass. First thing is to make plastic covers for the pushrods and horns.

Gord.
Gord,

I hand launch and land in the grass with no mods to the plane. Lots of flights and no issues. sometimes I catch a bit of grass that I pull off after a flight. I always blow some air backwards through the plane to clear out anything that may have entered the intake during the landing.

Lots of fun to fly.
OldRCNut is online now Find More Posts by OldRCNut
Old May 11, 2015, 07:33 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,138 Posts
It does work fine with the landing gear in the grass. Just want to fly it without the gear hanging down all the time. Now, if we could figure out how to make retracts for these little suckers we'd have the world by the bum.
Don't really need rudder on this thing. Maybe use the rudder servo for retracts. It's already carrying landing gear. Wouldn't add much more weight. HHMMM.

Gord.
Old May 11, 2015, 08:58 AM
Joined Mar 2015
38 Posts
Quote:
It does work fine with the landing gear in the grass. Just want to fly it without the gear hanging down all the time. Now, if we could figure out how to make retracts for these little suckers we'd have the world by the bum.
Don't really need rudder on this thing. Maybe use the rudder servo for retracts. It's already carrying landing gear. Wouldn't add much more weight. HHMMM.

Gord.
You absolutely could use a single servo for retracts that would fold up front to rear. May be hard with the front gear turning, I haven't opened the habu up at all yet to see what they did.
Old May 11, 2015, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by cjbucher
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,724 Posts
Quote:

Gord.
The type of servos used on these micros are actually quite strong. The part that moves is on a worm screw so it actually would take a quite a bit of force to strip it and with these planes only weighing about 3 oz there just is not enough force there to worry about stripping these servos...

Also be careful what you add to it. The thrust is only around 50 grams. Any amount of weight - even a few grams is noticeable on this plane. You notice it most in a climb.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old May 11, 2015, 07:14 PM
Joined Mar 2015
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher View Post

Also be careful what you add to it. The thrust is only around 50 grams. Any amount of weight - even a few grams is noticeable on this plane. You notice it most in a climb.
I haven't read back through the pages on the habu yet but is there much for power upgrades? Higher rpm motors or fans with a more aggressive pitch?
Old May 11, 2015, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by bhoov128
John 20:1-18
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
11,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostback View Post
i haven't read back through the pages on the habu yet but is there much for power upgrades? Higher rpm motors or fans with a more aggressive pitch?
3s
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old May 12, 2015, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by LowlyElevated
Team PeasantCopter... kind of.
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
1,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
I haven't read back through the pages on the habu yet but is there much for power upgrades? Higher rpm motors or fans with a more aggressive pitch?
There was a whole thread on mods to the UMX mig, which contained a lot of such experimentation. some people were able to get a bit more power out of it, but never quite a lot, if I recall correct.

the easiest way to boost power is 3s, but it does shorten motor lifespan.
LowlyElevated is offline Find More Posts by LowlyElevated
Old May 12, 2015, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowlyElevated View Post
There was a whole thread on mods to the UMX mig, which contained a lot of such experimentation. some people were able to get a bit more power out of it, but never quite a lot, if I recall correct.

the easiest way to boost power is 3s, but it does shorten motor lifespan.
The best way to try to get the best performance using a standard 2S battery is to get that fan balanced as best possible. There's no real way to predict in a general way how much gain you can achieve but it's worth a try. I only fly my Baby 'Bu on 2S and see no real need to go 3S. Who knows, maybe a correctly balanced 2S is only a little less performance than a buzzy 3S jet. A buzzy motor/fan is going to fail earlier and stress the servos more too. Rip it open, follow some of the posted balance instructions and then see if you still need 3S. Some obviously want that last bit of speed/climb but maybe many won't.
heli-headcase is offline Find More Posts by heli-headcase