SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:29 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Yes, when you change the termination voltage you change the CV threshold as well.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:35 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,309 Posts
That leads to another question; if one select balance speed "fast", to terminate charge earlier, and the end result is the same voltage vise (4.15V or whatever), will the result be the same regarding cell cycle life? If yes, this will be a better option as it gives shorter charge time (shorter CV phase at 4.20V).

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:26 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Good question Fred, I don't know the answer. My reading of the available info is that the degradation of cycle life results from holding the cells at 4.20V. If that is the case then there is a difference between using "fast" balancing, which holds the cells at 4.20V for a while but terminates charging below 100% capacity, and setting the termination voltage below 4.20V, hence preventing the cells ever being held at 4.20V

It may not be a big difference in the end, it would take some careful and detailed experiments to find out.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:57 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,299 Posts
Some time ago, I wrote about "fastmod", which aims in the same direction. Higher voltages during charge, but not a higher one at the end of the charge.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...d#post19399009

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...d#post18584972

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...d#post18587219
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:55 AM
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
icharger 3010b

Hello again!
I have a problem currently I can not solve, so I turn to you. 1 month ago I bought the Hobbyking via a battery charger (Turnigy Icharger 3010b). At the beginning of the charger worked just fine and I was pleased with the purchased, until I decided to upgrade the software from V3.13 to V3.14. The upgrade process is normally held on the attached CD (Upgrader v1.8). Has also been successfully loaded USB driver. Upgrading is also normally closed. The problem appeared after a few minutes when I started to look interface (setting, Pb, NiCd, NiMn, Lixx ..), everything was then stopped and the boot process repeats indefinitely. Voltage, which is connected to the input side is 9V DC. I tried already by holding all four buttons and re-start it to get just the serial number. Now the computer does not detect the phone on the charger over USB port. Several times I've tried to reload the firmware as old as new but without success. I wonder if anyone you know can be hard reset procedure, the charger goes into the factory settings, then you can upgrade to a new ordered (firmware).
Thanks for your help.
Roberttos is offline Find More Posts by Roberttos
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:08 AM
firehorse 2
Kilcoy Australia
Joined May 2004
167 Posts
Bah !

Cant find anything yet

Could someone tell me the right way to connect the 3010b to a paraboard

is the balance board red wire closest to the + sign or what ?

a photo would help

Everydayfler aka Charlse says"
I trimmed the locating key off of the positive side so that the balaning lead would work in the 10 cell 3010B balancing port "

??
firehorse is offline Find More Posts by firehorse
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:14 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
Everydayfler aka Charlse says"
I trimmed the locating key off of the positive side so that the balaning lead would work in the 10 cell 3010B balancing port "

??
Yes, negative (black) side of cell1 should always be aligned.
Picture here.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Last edited by flarssen; Sep 12, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:20 PM
firehorse 2
Kilcoy Australia
Joined May 2004
167 Posts
Ahh, cool

thanks dude
firehorse is offline Find More Posts by firehorse
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:03 AM
France
Joined May 2008
22 Posts
Just an update about my lcd black box problem.
Junsi told me via PM to send my charger back to where I bought it.
I send it back to EPBuddy.com (Dale), 11 shipping from France to the US.
My charger was under warranty, Dale send me a new one for free within 10 days.
I doubt HobbyKing would have done it easier and faster (nether tried though).

So I highly recommend EPBuddy.com for their service to international customers !

ZonK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonk_1976 View Post
Hello,
This morning, my 106B+ froze at power on on usual startup menu (buttons were not working).
I powered it off/on and now I get a upper line of black boxes on the LCD straight at power on (after 0,5sec).
I tried to find a fix on this thread, as it seems that many people have this type of failure already : Zulan here / chicocheco here / blurz28 here

I tried to upgrade firmware with 3.14 and upgrader 1.6. I installed USB drivers and pressed Stop button on power on. Upgrader can see my charger (it gives S/N on the description) but is unable to upgrade (Connecting --> Connecting again --> Device not found).

I'm a bit electronic experienced and would prefer to try to fix it by myself if possible (Post shipping rates are over expensive where I live if I need to send it back...)

Has anyone here managed to fix black boxes on LCD ?
ZonK.
zonk_1976 is offline Find More Posts by zonk_1976
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:49 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
449 Posts
Are there any plan to update current range of chargers Junsi?
rizky_p is offline Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:55 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Some time ago, I wrote about "fastmod", which aims in the same direction. Higher voltages during charge, but not a higher one at the end of the charge.

Anything to increase efficiency and reduce charge time without damaging the battery is a good thing. But each battery is different so I ask you.... how much flow will the battery and its wires allow before the pressure begins to build and the higher voltage turns into wasted power? The charger will need to be very smart. It will perhaps need to be adaptive in its charging cycle so that the waste is minimal.

I suspect the current method of charging is a compromise.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1 Posts
"connection break down"

Hi Junsi,
I need your help.
I have a 106B + ICharger and I had used about 10 times.
Last week I was cycling a small single cell lilo battery with low current when my ICharger showed the message "CONNECTION BREAK DOWN"
It was being supplied by a 18V source.
Suddenly this message appeared and since then could not perform procedures load (charge, balance, cycling, storage ...), only discharge.

Moreover, it is not measuring correctly internal resistance of the batteries with several cells. It indicates the internal resistance of only one cell battery.

Carefully I opened the charger and inspected the components. Apparently all components are intact and no signs of burn.
I need your help to solve this problem.

Ortolan
Ortolan is offline Find More Posts by Ortolan
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Replacement USB Cable

Can anyone suggest a source for a replacement USB Cable?

The cable that came with my 206B has developed a fault...
Power Me Up is offline Find More Posts by Power Me Up
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:24 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortolan View Post
Hi Junsi,
I need your help.
I have a 106B + ICharger and I had used about 10 times.
Last week I was cycling a small single cell lilo battery with low current when my ICharger showed the message "CONNECTION BREAK DOWN"
It was being supplied by a 18V source.
Suddenly this message appeared and since then could not perform procedures load (charge, balance, cycling, storage ...), only discharge.

Moreover, it is not measuring correctly internal resistance of the batteries with several cells. It indicates the internal resistance of only one cell battery.

Carefully I opened the charger and inspected the components. Apparently all components are intact and no signs of burn.
I need your help to solve this problem.

Ortolan
Hello Ortolan,

Please refer to the following post, hope it can help you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...39657&page=614

Junsi
junsi is offline Find More Posts by junsi
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:14 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
828 Posts
Lipo Repair

Using my iCharger, one of my 4s Lipos is registering "Balancing port not connected".

I could trouble shoot it myself, but don't have the time.

Is there any service out there that checks and fixes Lipo's with issues like this?

Thanks!
Raehm is online now Find More Posts by Raehm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Me-262 Build