HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:24 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Discussion
Easyglider Pro with Tuning Set -

Just assembled an Easyglider Pro for some low intensity flat field electric assisted thermalling. It's been a while since I've assembled a Multiplex kit and it was nice to see something totally sorted, compared to some other recent offerings from other manufacturers.

Anyway, I have a question for the EGP officianados, and the only Easyglider threads in the forum were pretty old. I put the MPX tuning set in the model, with the Himax C3516-1130 outrunner, MULTICont BL-37/II controller and the 12x6" folding prop.

The MPX recommendation is for a 2s1p 2500 -3200mah lipo and on balancing up the model I was able to get to the 70mm balance point using a 3s1p2500mah Maxpoly pack that I haven't used for a while. I'll probably run some motor tests but there are dire warnings of exceeding 2 cells on this set up. All of my 2s1p lipos are much too light to get the model to balance, she needs the 220g 3s1p pack well back in the battery compartment.

Are most folks running with 2s1p packs with this model, and what sort of size did you need to achieve that balance point, without adding any additional weight to the tail?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2014, 06:31 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
636 Posts
Leccy, I use a Turnigy (XYH)3542/1000 on 3s 2100 - 2300 lipo driving 10 x 6 Graupner blades. The width the MPX yoke/spinner extends the prop dia to 11", which effectively makes it an 11 x 6.6 prop. Readings recorded when the model was built about 5 years ago were : at WOT 26.6A, 295W, 8580rpm.
I wouldn't consider using 2s but I think 3s with a 12 x 6 prop will pull too much current for Himax motor. Check the true dia of the prop when mounted on the spinner.

Why not add the extra tail weight ? The Turnigy I use is the same weight as the Himax, I installed both steel weights in the tail when I built mine & finalised the battery position with some tight fitting semi rigid foam at the rear of the compartment. The battery is virtually on the cg which means it's weight isn't critical when different types of lipo are used.

The accompanying chart was recorded last month & shows 4 climb & glide flights from a single charge. All the power bursts were within 30 sec duration & all launches went over the ALES 200 metre limit. On the day I flew a couple of other models after the EG Pro but would have been happy to have had another 4 launches without re-charging or changing the battery.
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:31 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Thanks Pat - I also installed both steel balls in the tail end, as advised, but she's still nose heavy with the only 2s lipos that I have, which are 1800mah. I suppose the easiest thing would be to make use of the appropriate 3s1p 2500mah lipo that fits nicely and which no longer has a home now that my Zagi is a sloper. That means coming down in prop size, so I'll have to check what I have available.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:48 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
636 Posts
I normaly only use the advised cg as a starting point, especialy so when trimming gliders, though I must admit I've been a bit relaxed with the EG which I treat it as a thermal & slope light wind hack.

BTW you might find this recent thread on EG control deflections useful.

Judging by the forecast I could be sloping the EG a few days this week at my local coastal site, though there's a good chance the wind could be strong enough to fly a proper sloper.
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:07 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Thanks Pat - interesting reading and I'll give that spoileron programming a bash, probably after the maiden though.

Measured the supplied prop and on the yoke provided it;s a 13" diameter x 6" pitch - so I rummaged in the prop box and found a Graupner Cam folding prop assembly with 10x6" and after butchering the circlips to get them off they fit the Easyglider Pro yoke beautifully (an d are a nicer quality prop into the bargain). So, she's now fitted with an 11X6" folder, rather than that 13x6" folder, which I hope the motor test later on will return good results on my 3s1p 2500mah lipo.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:44 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
I fly the glider version...I have my CG set at 70 millimeter from the leading edge.
your mileage may vary, but I like it stable...and it's still flies fairly fast compared to the Radian.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:24 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Just tested the 3s1p 2500mah lipo with the 11x6" prop (10x6" blades) and she's drawing 31 amps full throttle straight off the charger, so that should be okay.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:51 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
I don't use spoilerons on my Easy Glider... I only use ailerons down (flaperons), for landing...with the appropriate down elevator compensation to keep it from ballooning.
also, I do not think the wing benefits from any kind of camera or reflex.

these are my personal opinions, and not written in stone... And I have won several thermal contests with my Easy Glider. both two meter class, and easy glider one design class.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 03:10 PM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Brilliant maiden flight today on hot, sunny, windless summer's day - the Easyglider Pro really is a low drama model, plenty of power on the handlaunch and, after a few trimming circuits to get a reasonable sink rate lucked out on a thermal and she just kept going up, and getting smaller.

In the end my bottle went and I flew her out of the thermal and began a gentle descent to potter around and make a couple more climbs, working on trimming her out properly. There was a lot of thermal activity about and I coul have stayed up a lot longer, but eventually settled her down for a smooth approach and a very gentle landing. What a lovely, well sorted model.

Post flight inspection revealed that one locknut was missing on one aileron linkage - I'd tightened them, but didnt Loctite them, so lesson learned there

The model needed 10g of lead in the tail, to balance at 70mm, after adding the mixture of Multiplex-supplied stickers and Cameo-cut vinyl letters, plus some visibility aids on the underside.

I'm going to enjoy this one, and she might even get a trip to the slope later in the week.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:35 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
very cool.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 06:07 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
out of curiosity, did you decide on spoilerons or flaperons?...in this case, I think that either one will work.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 07:26 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
I didn't set up either for the maiden but will do so before the next session. Just picked up some Loctite, so after a bit if a walk on the beach I will do some fettling.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:32 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
maidens!