SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2014, 09:10 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Discussion
YG Bird: $25 EPP Alula knockoff?

I've been looking for something that can be flown in more wind than my itty bitty micro planes that I can beat up while re-learning how to fly. The Alula is OOS across the board, but I did find an extremely inexpensive knock-off: The YG Bird.

Link to ebay auction

One of these equipped with a 17g brushless and 3s 350mah pack seems like it would float very nicely while having enough power to deal with odd gusts. Also, it's less than the shipping charge on most of the stuff from hobbyking.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2014, 07:19 PM
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Jan 2006
499 Posts
I've been considering the same thing. I know one of the great things about the original Alula the the build quality and how well it goes together.. I doubt this would be the same quality, but could be a fun one for modification.
iceburg47 is offline Find More Posts by iceburg47
Old Mar 09, 2014, 12:01 AM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Does anyone have any thoughts on a suitable motor? A Park 250 on a 5030 on 3s, maybe?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:52 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on a suitable motor? A Park 250 on a 5030 on 3s, maybe?
I would think you would something lighter in weight for a power setup. Getting that weight out on the nose would require counterbalancing the weight on the tail. I am a glider guy and I would think the extra weight would be too much for this little plane? Maybe go with a 10 gram motor and a baby 2 cell? Of course at $25 you won't have too much invested. Do a search here for powered Alula.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:23 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
I would think you would something lighter in weight for a power setup. Getting that weight out on the nose would require counterbalancing the weight on the tail. I am a glider guy and I would think the extra weight would be too much for this little plane? Maybe go with a 10 gram motor and a baby 2 cell? Of course at $25 you won't have too much invested. Do a search here for powered Alula.
Gary
I did. A lot of folks were on surprisingly large power setups.

Thanks to DrKiwi, I've found the E-Flite Park 250 weighs 17g with stand to the "10 gram motor" at 12g. With a 3s 500mah pack (48g), I'm at 2.5oz if I trim down the ESC. That's only 1.5oz more than the basic battery.

I'd like a nice 3s 300mah pack, but they're all oddly heavy.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:23 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
517 Posts
If its hot wire cut epp, the outside of the foam will be quite rough.
Will it need to be covered with wing tape ?
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:52 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
If its hot wire cut epp, the outside of the foam will be quite rough.
Will it need to be covered with wing tape ?
It would appear not. I'll likely be trading aerodynamic efficiency for weight.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:38 AM
United Kingdom, Melksham
Joined Sep 2013
81 Posts
I have an alula and it is amazing, but I have found that I am been rather reserved as I learn to fly DLG gliders, I have just ordered one of the YG birds to use as a beater so that I can be a little more adventurous with my alula!
I will let you know what they are like when I get it in the air!
neiltmorris is offline Find More Posts by neiltmorris
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:23 AM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltmorris View Post
I have an alula and it is amazing, but I have found that I am been rather reserved as I learn to fly DLG gliders, I have just ordered one of the YG birds to use as a beater so that I can be a little more adventurous with my alula!
I will let you know what they are like when I get it in the air!
Nice to hear. This also looks to be a single guy making these things, and I like to support anyone contributing to the the hobby at such a reasonable rate.

If you're looking at powering it, check out the Park 250/3s option. In theory, you want one of the light-weight 3s 300mah packs, but the amount of thrust is enormous for the cost!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:25 AM
helis, boats, cars and planes
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Oct 2013
83 Posts
One thing that looks promising about it is the nose. It looks as though the nose is longer than the Alula. The Alula guys are adding weight to the nose or lightening their tails to make the CG work right.
YG looks like you might be able to just squish everything forward enough not to have to add any additional weight.
I just ordered mine and will see if that is the case.
parajared is offline Find More Posts by parajared
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:36 PM
United States, UT, Orem
Joined Jan 2006
499 Posts
I went ahead and ordered one a little while ago. I'm not sure whether I will mod it for a motor or not. I'll probably build it without first and then hack one on if I decide I want to later.
iceburg47 is offline Find More Posts by iceburg47
Old Mar 27, 2014, 07:21 PM
Total Newbie
United States, NC, Fayetteville
Joined May 2011
68 Posts
Ordered one about 2 weeks ago (full kit with servos and battery) and finally got it in the air today. Really wish I'd have got it done sooner, this thing is excellent. I own an Alula Evo, and while I think it might light air glide slightly better, this one is so much fun, that I might just be gifting the Alula to my dad! Didn't shape the nose any, it comes as a bit more square-ish than the photo posted above, instructions were good, though mostly of a picture with arrows sort than alot of worded ones. Do make sure you're using the right FRP straps, the measurements are all accurate, though the colors may be different than pictured. Ask me why I mention this.... (launch peg bound to wrong one... thankfully there's plenty of nylon string included, could do two pegs actually) Flight characteristics, even in cold, evening air, with alot of turbulence, was superb. Feels much more stable than my Alula, was catching it on the third throw. Still need some practice on that, but since its EPP, who cares? It just bounces off the ground, my hand, or my foot, lol. I think the best part, is the finish is surprisingly well done, very smooth hotwiring, even the sandlot ball field didn't chew it up without any reinforcement on the bottom, and that field is terrible on foam.

Long story short, buy one NOW.

PS: Shipping was surprisingly fast, week and a half from S. Korea to NC, USA
PPS: Also, used an orange six channel RX and carved some foam to move the little 4 cell NIMH battery as far forward as I dared, only had to had a nickel or quarter, depending on taste to get good CG, using hot glue for almost everything.
Tarak is online now Find More Posts by Tarak
Old Mar 27, 2014, 08:01 PM
United Kingdom, Melksham
Joined Sep 2013
81 Posts
I too was surprised by the finish, it is a decent kit and shopping is speedy.

Unfortunately I've not had as much luck with mine, maybe it is my lack of building skill. It glides beautifully but the ailerons don't seem effect the bird. Also, when I throw it DLG style it doesn't penetrate and floats to the ground, should I have more weight at the front?

Cheers
neiltmorris is offline Find More Posts by neiltmorris
Old Mar 27, 2014, 08:14 PM
Total Newbie
United States, NC, Fayetteville
Joined May 2011
68 Posts
That definitely sounds odd to me, all of my launches have been surprisingly easy and worked well. I'm going to figure out how to dial in a bit of differential in the aileron controls, but I've never had ineffective turning, if anything, I've had to dial the throws and expo way down/up respectively. Definitely double check your CG, mine is right at the aft mark specified in the instructions.
Tarak is online now Find More Posts by Tarak
Old Mar 27, 2014, 08:38 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarak View Post
I own an Alula Evo, and while I think it might light air glide slightly better, this one is so much fun, that I might just be gifting the Alula to my dad!
Long story short, buy one NOW.

What's the AUW? CG? Any build pictures?