SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Discussion
Schumate f22 70mm edf conversion

Well after the crashes I had with my profile f22 70mm, decided I'd build a full fuse one. Will let me have cleaner intakes and be able to reduce a lot of the drag I have on the profile one. Doing the 100% plan, to keep the same size as the profile one I have. The 118% f15 I did is much slower than the profile f22 and weighs almost the same so I figured the smaller airframe will be better.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:01 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,428 Posts
stingeragents For those of us who can't tip our heads at 90, could you please rotate your photos B-4 you post them.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Lol. Yea sure. I do it direct from my phone. Thats why.

Edit: Well just as I was about to cannabilize my profile f22, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Plane has been through a lot and got it flying good on the CS so think I'm gonna leave it. So I'll either have to wait until I crash it, or I'll just but another CS setup. Whichever comes first. Started doing some spackling to fill in the gaps around the nose, canopy, and turtle deck. Aside from doing the elevators, can't make a whole lot more progress until I get a fan to work with. It is real windy today. Perhaps I should go fly the other f22.
Last edited by stingeragents; Nov 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:14 PM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,653 Posts
What does CS stand for?
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Change sun. Referring to their 10 blade 70mm fan
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:32 PM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,653 Posts
Who is "their" 10 blade? Sorry, but I really would like to know. Is that the name of the seller Changing Sun?
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
No thats the name of the fan. Hobbyking sells them as well as edfhobby and some other places. Theres a huge thread in edf jet talk forum about the fan. On first or second page.

edfhobbies.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=45&product_id=216
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
So its 34mph winds gusting to 40. I thought, what a perfect way to free up the fan for my new f22. Well managed to not crash. Profile one actually flew pretty good. I think i can now attest to this plane going 100mph. With the wind of course. My gf forgot her phone yet again. So no video. Grrrr

Edit. Started glassing the plane today. Got the whole top of it done and the wholefront from intakes forward. Will have to wait to do bottom until i get everything installef
Last edited by stingeragents; Nov 11, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Haven't got a whole lot done last several days. I did decide to take out the cs fan from my other f22 so now I can proceed. Did one more coat on the wings last night, and will start getting the fan put in today.

Edit; Well got the top turtle deck all glued down. Just gotta do some sanding and filling and then i'll be able to fiberglass over that. Once thats done, just gotta mount all the electronics, and get the bottom glued on. Then I'll fiberglass the bottom. Still gotta figure some control horns out for the elevons since I don't have any.
Last edited by stingeragents; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Will be back in town tomorrow. After doing the elevators on my phase 3 f16 i decided i will go with full flying stabs. Should be able to get the build finished by wed morning and go for maiden
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Opted against the full stabs. About to glue the bottom on. Then gotta fg the bottom, hook up elevons and it will be ready. After doing this build the nose cone and canopy where hardest to get right. Not satisfied with either but it will do. Fully glassed minus vertical stabs. Will maiden tomorrow.
Last edited by stingeragents; Nov 23, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Maiden report. Around 15mph winds today. Give it a light toss into the wind at about 1/2 throttle. ( I always launch about the point where I can feel it pulling away), toss it up, it starts rolling to right and noses into the ground. Thank goodness for the FG or the whole front end would have been gone. A few cracks on the fiberglass, and the interior foam had several cracks. Also hit hard enough to dislodge the fan from the mount. So, I then decide to fly my 118% F15. Toss it up and its flying good. Do a roll inverted and pull back for a split s (or is it immelman, either way), and couldn't get it to pull out in time. Went in at about a 45 degree angle. Luckily the nose cone and canopy popped off so those where undamaged. But everything else from wings forward turned to confetti and my battery launched about 20ft. Hate crashing 2 in a row. Anyways, took the 22 home and did the few quick repairs. Also had to cut the bottom open to remount the fan. I got to checking and my COG was right at the wing break. Too far forward I think. So I repositioned the battery and took it out for a 2nd try. Launched at 3/4 throttle this time and it climbed right out. Flew great after that. It does want to roll to the right constantly which I figured out. Somehow during my fiberglassing or building, the left wing isn't perfectly flat. It kind of bows downwards toward the back, so its pushing that wing up in flight. I tried to flatten it out a bit, but I'll just live with it. The downside of not using a spar prior to building.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
F22.mp4 (0 min 0 sec)

94%
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
Air Assassin
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2012
353 Posts