HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:20 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,440 Posts
Question
12 years old trainer

i am sure you have all heard this before got a 12 year old he has flown some micros slow sticks parkzone trojan

he wants a 3d plane he is doing great on the sim someone give me a link to a good first plane
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Jul 2007
114 Posts
If he can fly 3d on the simulator, or at least use a rudder and ailerons well, I can think of two planes that come to mind.

The 32" line of planes from Twisted Hobbys are excellent and worth looking at.

Also, the Yak 55 from Fancy Foam models would be a good choice for a beginner 3d pilot.

Hope that helps, or at least points you in the right direction.
cglynn is offline Find More Posts by cglynn
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:09 AM
Shut up and fly
Joined Jun 2008
10,440 Posts
yes that was what i was looking for do you have a link for these birds by chance i don't fly 3d so have no idea what i am looking at
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:05 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
I highly recommend getting one made from EPP foam. It's more durable than depron (the other common material used in 3D foamys) so you don't have to worry as much if he crashes it. You'll have to help him build it or do it yourself and take your time to ensure the plane doesn't come out crooked and thus not fly well.

There are a few routes you can go with this. The cheapest option would be to buy a sheet of EPP foam, hardware and electrical components and build one yourself from the many plans available in the foamy scratchbuilt section (leadfeather's yak-55, particularly the standard 32" version is a very popular design). You can build one with everything you need, including some batteries for around $100 if you know where to shop.

The cheapest 3D EPP kit I've seen is RCPlaneBuilder's Slicko. The build looks a bit more intimidating than some of the others but you can get an unpainted kit plus a power combo for it (still need rx, lipo and glue) for only $86 shipped, add $15 for the painted version.

Twisted Hobbys is a popular brand for 3D EPP. Their kits are more expensive (due to being imported from Europe) but they're generally regarded as being of great quality and seem fairly easy to build (watch the build videos on their website to see for yourself). The Crack Yak-55 is a popular model but they're all regarded as good flying models.

There's also FancyFoam, WMParkFlyers, 3DHobbyShop, DynamicFoamy and probably a few others I'm forgetting that all provide 3D EPP kits.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,965 Posts
Check out the Hacker Super zoom. EPP, nearly indestructable and has a fully airfoil wing instead of flat. Flies more like a regular airplane. Probably not the best 3d plane among this type, but I think it makes a better trainer, 3d, aerobatic combo.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:29 AM
Shut up and fly
Joined Jun 2008
10,440 Posts
Rayne

that's what i was needing thanks for the links i will let you know what he picks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
I like wmparkflyers really well as alot of the work is done for you. Shes a very solid flying plane and with a 1700 KV motor it makes a great out door flyer.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:42 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Thanks for the plug Rayne! I pre-build a lot of the Slicko carbon kit, I install the wing spar, tail/nose stiffeners, lead edge carbon, and hinge it with UV protected glue (goop). These are my favorite style of hinges as the are still flexible and durable but won't yellow or get brittle. They are also easy to repair if you manage to tear them. I also pre-cut the carbon struts/trusses to length. Unfortunately I have had a hard time keeping up with demand because of the work on my end.

I can see where installing carbon struts and trusses can be more complicated to those that haven't done them before. I've been flying a prototype wood/EPP braced Slicko as this style has become popular again. I will offer these as well at a lower price than the carbon because of lower cost of materials and labor on my part.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Jun 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: goofed
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:17 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Check out the Hacker Super zoom. EPP, nearly indestructable and has a fully airfoil wing instead of flat. Flies more like a regular airplane. Probably not the best 3d plane among this type, but I think it makes a better trainer, 3d, aerobatic combo.
I agree, I really like the Hackers as well. I have the 35.4" Zoom Zoom and 25.6" Zoom 4U on my site. I have yet to build either of them but the feedback I've seen is good on them. Being smaller/lighter I think they would be excellent 3D trainers for durability.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:59 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
I've been flying a prototype wood/EPP braced Slicko as this style has become popular again. I will offer these as well at a lower price than the carbon because of lower cost of materials and labor on my part.
An even cheaper 3D EPP kit that's easier to build sounds fantastic.

How's it holding up durability-wise so far now that you've removed leading edge carbon and how's the tail stiffness with all that carbon reinforcement removed and just the foam trussing?

Any idea yet on when these will start seeing production or the price?

Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:22 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
An even cheaper 3D EPP kit that's easier to build sounds fantastic.

How's it holding up durability-wise so far now that you've removed leading edge carbon and how's the tail stiffness with all that carbon reinforcement removed and just the foam trussing?

Any idea yet on when these will start seeing production or the price?

Thanks.
It's not as durable on the lead edge as it is with the carbon. But it is still plenty durable. You can see the tear in the lead edge that occurred when I hit a fence. I like to really put these to the test before I release them.

The EPP bracing on both sides compares pretty close to the carbon fiber bracing on one side. I don't notice any significant twist with either in the air. I've only put a few 3S flights on it, but as I continue to fly it I'll wring it more with them.

My concern with EPP planes is how well the fly after 200 flights, a handful of crashes and some man handling. I've probably got 75 flights on this one so far and it still flys crisp.

I want to put some more flights on it and then I'll produce them officially. Not sure on a price yet though. Hopefully I'll have some available in 1-2 weeks.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:34 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
I suppose one could always buy the 6mm carbon strip and install one themselves if they wanted the extra durability.

Sounds good, keep us posted.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:56 AM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,158 Posts
I am curently building the "Slicko" kit with my son, and will start a build thread on my kit soon. Very impressed with the quality of the Slicko kit, it's contents, and for your application with your son, I would omit the landing gear. EPP is the way to go so as not to worry about breaking the plane during training. I would stick with the carbon verson of the Slicko for your first plane, and use the recommended componets to keep the weight down. BTW, we LOVE working with Welder Glue. This kit is sooooo easy to build....just a flat surface, canned food, and waxed paper. When I get my kit done, I will offer it to anyone in our club to try.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Last edited by maxxnut; Jun 12, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:25 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Have you gotten to the carbon tail bracing part?

If so how easy was it and is this the first foamy you built?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:50 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,158 Posts
Yes, the carbon has been installed in the aft fusalage, I just sanded a point on each end of the 5 1/2 inch carbon rods, and punch them into the foam where they go, then glue. Important to cross them like the PDF build guide says, just zoom in on the pics for good detail. I have built 3 other Depron foamys, but this is a LOT easier. Just had a friend drop by that has been in R/C for 40 years and when he seen the Slicko....BAM..$50 bucks on the table for his kit when I place the order for foam and equipment.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut