SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 01:03 AM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff2005 View Post
Was intending on separating, so cutting the read wire between Rx and Guardian and joining the BEC on the Guardian side, so only Black and Signal wires common between Rx and Guardian
Should work but consider that you are creating another point of failure. If either the bec in the ESC fails, or the external bec fails, the model crashes. Unless you really need the extra power you should probably use just the external bec, which I assume is stronger. It can be connected either to the Guardian or the receiver but you should disconnect the red wire from the ESC.
choochoo22 is offline Find More Posts by choochoo22
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:19 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff2005 View Post
Was intending on separating, so cutting the read wire between Rx and Guardian and joining the BEC on the Guardian side, so only Black and Signal wires common between Rx and Guardian

I have a large aircraft wired exactly that way and it works excellent. I used a large BEC for receiver power that has two power output wires so I had to use two Y connectors on the Guardian. I think that’s the best way to do it, as power spikes from the servos won’t be able to cause a brown out.

I will definitely use that method when I build another large airplane.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:19 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Should work but consider that you are creating another point of failure..
Good point!
Geoff2005 is offline Find More Posts by Geoff2005
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:25 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
435 Posts
Per the Guardian manual, here are 2 methods we recommend to provide additional current carrying capability;

Receiver Connection Harness Load Capacity
When connected typically, the Aileron lead of the Guardian’s receiver connection harness takes power from your receiver, and this powers the servos you have connected to the Guardian. The Receiver Connection Harness is easily capable of handling the power requirements of typical analog and digital servos. However, if the servos you have connected to the Guardian are very large, and/or have a combined current draw of greater than 5 amps, an additional power cable is required. Note that if your BEC or receiver battery is rated at 5 amps or less (the vast majority are), a backup cable should not be needed. Note also that the Aileron lead of the harness should not be excessively warm after flying, which could indicate that backup power is needed. If the servos you have connected to the Guardian draw greater than 5 amps all together, there are two ways to supply additional power to your servos, which will provide additional current carrying capability to the servos you have connected to the Guardian:

1) If you are not using all the servo output connections on your
Guardian, a male to male servo wire (with the signal line cut!)
can be connected between a free servo channel on the
Guardian, and a free channel on your receiver.

2) If all the servo connections on the Guardian are being used, a
male/male/female Y cable (ET p/n CAB-Y-1 or similar) with
the signal line cut can be used to provide additional power to
the servos, as shown in Figure 3.

Also, here is a quick example of how I launch my Funjet in 3d mode.

Eagle Tree Systems 2d 3d Guardian Stabilizer in a Funjet (1 min 14 sec)
JohnET is online now Find More Posts by JohnET
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:22 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,885 Posts
JohnET .... Too much fun.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Jul 12, 2013, 06:58 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnET View Post
Per the Guardian manual, here are 2 methods we recommend to provide additional current carrying capability;

Receiver Connection Harness Load Capacity
When connected typically, the Aileron lead of the Guardian’s receiver connection harness takes power from your receiver, and this powers the servos you have connected to the Guardian. The Receiver Connection Harness is easily capable of handling the power requirements of typical analog and digital servos. However, if the servos you have connected to the Guardian are very large, and/or have a combined current draw of greater than 5 amps, an additional power cable is required. Note that if your BEC or receiver battery is rated at 5 amps or less (the vast majority are), a backup cable should not be needed. Note also that the Aileron lead of the harness should not be excessively warm after flying, which could indicate that backup power is needed. If the servos you have connected to the Guardian draw greater than 5 amps all together, there are two ways to supply additional power to your servos, which will provide additional current carrying capability to the servos you have connected to the Guardian:

1) If you are not using all the servo output connections on your
Guardian, a male to male servo wire (with the signal line cut!)
can be connected between a free servo channel on the
Guardian, and a free channel on your receiver.

2) If all the servo connections on the Guardian are being used, a
male/male/female Y cable (ET p/n CAB-Y-1 or similar) with
the signal line cut can be used to provide additional power to
the servos, as shown in Figure 3.

Also, here is a quick example of how I launch my Funjet in 3d mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahaDx...ature=youtu.be
John,

Well, well, that video sure demonstrates the effectiveness on launching the torque roll prone Funjet.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:48 AM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Mar 2004
1,102 Posts
Has anyone tried one of these? A3 controllers have been around for years but this model is a lot more advanced. I like my Guardian do to it is small. But for a big plane I guess any size will work

http://www.himodel.com/multi_rotors/...rame_card.html
Go4it is offline Find More Posts by Go4it
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:02 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4it View Post
Has anyone tried one of these? A3 controllers have been around for years but this model is a lot more advanced. I like my Guardian do to it is small. But for a big plane I guess any size will work

http://www.himodel.com/multi_rotors/...rame_card.html
IMHO there is no relation between the size of the stabilizer and the size of the plane.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Jul 13, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Jun 2013
18 Posts
Mounting Updside Down

Here's a thing...

No matter what I do my ET Guardian does not tolerate being mounted upside down. It appears to reset trims/level flight and correction works properly on the ground. When I fly it and go into 2D mode, it instantly flips inverted, level and slightly nose down and stays there with hands off. 3D mode seems OK but I'm not 100% sure.

I swear I'm on v1.18 but I'll downlaod it again.

Mounted right way up it's working OK in 2D and 3D - I even saw big roll oscillations, so have the gain way down now.

Any ideas, anyone.

Dave
ogg2000 is offline Find More Posts by ogg2000
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:19 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogg2000 View Post
Here's a thing...

No matter what I do my ET Guardian does not tolerate being mounted upside down. It appears to reset trims/level flight and correction works properly on the ground. When I fly it and go into 2D mode, it instantly flips inverted, level and slightly nose down and stays there with hands off. 3D mode seems OK but I'm not 100% sure.

I swear I'm on v1.18 but I'll downlaod it again.

Mounted right way up it's working OK in 2D and 3D - I even saw big roll oscillations, so have the gain way down now.

Any ideas, anyone.

Dave
Even V1.17 shouldn't do that if properly reset, but do get V1.18.

Try resetting the level again. This time be very certain to look for the confirming twitch from the Guardian after the reset. If it doesn't give you that confirmation then you haven't done anything. Don't be in a big hurry with the switch, 15 seconds is plenty of time. Pause about a second in each mode.

You should be able to test it on the ground. With the plane powered up and sitting on its wheels/belly, just activate 2D. If all is well there might be a small surface movement, but not much. If the ailerons go to full deflection the Guardian hasn't accepted the reset.

If that doesn't work hook the Guardian up to the PC. With the Guardian inverted and held approximately flat, click the "factory reset" button. It should be OK to do this with the unit in the plane if that is convenient. It doesn't need to be perfectly flat, just not cockeyed. Afterwards don't forget to reinstate any settings you may have made. I would recommend un-checking the flaperon box and the CSS box and setting the stabilization roll angle to 80°. Click OK and disconnect the USB. Now try the level setting again as you did before and watch for the twitch.
Last edited by choochoo22; Jul 13, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:17 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,948 Posts
I used velcro to mount my Guardian.... it seems/feels stable enough - a good amount of damping whilst being 'fixed' well.
At least it seems so to me....
Is that a known good idea, of bad idea? LOL
I am about to head out (soon.. 1 hour or so) with a small test plane to see how the Guardian works....
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:36 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
I used velcro to mount my Guardian.... it seems/feels stable enough - a good amount of damping whilst being 'fixed' well.
At least it seems so to me....
Is that a known good idea, of bad idea? LOL
I am about to head out (soon.. 1 hour or so) with a small test plane to see how the Guardian works....
Velcro should work fine in most electrics, that's what I use without trouble. Some users with wet power have needed more vibration damping.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:04 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,948 Posts
Thanks... I will see how it all goes...
It is a good.. or bad.. test day!! VERY blustery winds, which I would not even bother going to fly anything in normally! I know I can fly it ok even in strong winds (950mm F4-U Corsair), so I guess as long as that first part works (flying with no Stabilisation) then the next tests will give the Guardian a tough workout!
(I have gain and mode channels on it)
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:11 AM
Joined Jun 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22 View Post
Even V1.17 shouldn't do that if properly reset, but do get V1.18.

Try resetting the level again. This time be very certain to look for the confirming twitch from the Guardian after the reset. If it doesn't give you that confirmation then you haven't done anything. Don't be in a big hurry with the switch, 15 seconds is plenty of time. Pause about a second in each mode.

You should be able to test it on the ground. With the plane powered up and sitting on its wheels/belly, just activate 2D. If all is well there might be a small surface movement, but not much. If the ailerons go to full deflection the Guardian hasn't accepted the reset.

If that doesn't work hook the Guardian up to the PC. With the Guardian inverted and held approximately flat, click the "factory reset" button. It should be OK to do this with the unit in the plane if that is convenient. It doesn't need to be perfectly flat, just not cockeyed. Afterwards don't forget to reinstate any settings you may have made. I would recommend un-checking the flaperon box and the CSS box and setting the stabilization roll angle to 80°. Click OK and disconnect the USB. Now try the level setting again as you did before and watch for the twitch.
Thanks for the reply. The Guardian accepts the resets and shows all the correct deflections on the ground i.e. all the surfaces move correctly and are neutral in the position it was reset. The twitches are as expected too. I've been meticulous with the resets before flight, and done it loads of times. Tried both flaperon modes too. Turing it around was my last resort, but at least it worked. I had to change the pitch and yaw directions on the pots when I turned it over, which is expected.

Everything looks normal on the ground, but in the air it's different. I just can't explain it - if you turn it over on the ground, you can see the big aileron deflections to flip it over..... The only difference in the air is the motor is running, but it's the same even when at idle.

Dave
ogg2000 is offline Find More Posts by ogg2000
Last edited by ogg2000; Jul 14, 2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:16 AM
you know me
United States
Joined Jul 2013
11 Posts
so with my guardian, i could initialize it in a level orientation, then position it in a vertical (straight up plumed) position, flip it to 3d and wing-toss it in almost any direction and have it hover, as long as proper throttle was applied. then just figure out how to manage torque rolling which will occur faster and faster the closer your plane gets to perfect a vertical. using the aileron to stop torque rolling will break the 3d hold and when releasing the stick 3d will re-engage but it will allow the control surface to return to neutral allowing the one directional torque rolling to resume. that's how it should work, right?

thanks,
uf
unknownflier is offline Find More Posts by unknownflier